• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

After Neutering

paulio99

Marlon had his little boys operation a month ago at the age of 6 months, we did it as early as possible as he tended to 'hump' an awful lot.

Everything was fine with that no problems he was his normal self within a day.

His humping hasn't completly stopped but its no way as bad as it was.

Though twice now a very strange thing has happened, Im wondering if any other Cavalier owner has seen this before ?

When he is humping quite vigorously a rather long very dark brown sausage comes out from his penis, it looks awful and it extremly large.
This seems to stop him in his tracks and stops straight away.
He then has a problem walking, until its gone back in.
Both times we placed it in cold water and it went away fine after about 5 minutes, but it looks so gross.

The vet has said this a thing that can happen and as long as it goes back in everything is fine.

Im now in a position that I think I will have to make sure he doesn't 'hump' at all as this looks really painful.

This is quite normal. You are refering to his penis, which is normally inside the furry cover. However, when stimulated by sexual activity or just vigorous cleaning, it swells and protrudes. The colour is due to a rush of blood to the area.

Castration only removes the testicles, not the penis, so this cannot be prevented. Also, at the base of the penis , are two organs (bulbus glandis) which can swell and sometimes make owners think the vet didn't do the operation properly. They are not testicles however, they are there to help the dog and bitch 'tie' during mating.

Thanks for the information.

The thing is it looks so big and out of proportion for a dog his size it was quite frightening to see.

As Barbara says! -- we sometimes refer to this as 'the lipstick' because of the way it comes out of the sheath! :lol:

There's a possibility that the penis is locking when out as it would when male is tied to a female -- that's probably what your vet is talking about when he says as long as it goes back in.

All of this is normal for boys. They lick hemselves a lot, too. :roll:

Neutering doesn;t necessarily stop humping or other male behaviours -- you will probably need to also work to train him to focus on something else when he starts humping. I have an article in the LIbrary section on humping behaviour and how to stop it/redirect it.

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3437

My neighbor has a larger dog who has his come out quite frequently. He's always trying to hump their smaller, female Schnauzer. It is definitely creepy to see the first few times, but then after a while it's like, "Benny! Put that thing away!"

I hope to never see Wesley's. That might scar me for life. ;)

Duncans "red rocket" seems to be a but shy, but Arthurs likes to make an appearance on a regular basis....

I can relate, I just look at them and go ew, boys, put that thing up!

I dont mean this in a crude way or after silly answers, but I was suprised how big it was. (this what scared me)

It was around 8/9 cm 3 inches and fairly thick.

Thanks for the link on how to train them away from humping I will be straight on this tonight, I really dont want to see to his 'winky' very often !

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Oh my god, i'm so sorry but I nearly wet myself reading this post, it was such a funny destcription. I've never ever seen Murphy's 'lipstick' so I don't know how I would react upon seeing it :lol: sorry again for laughing but it sounded so funny :D

paulio99 said:
I dont mean this in a crude way or after silly answers, but I was suprised how big it was. (this what scared me)

It was around 8/9 cm 3 inches and fairly thick.

Thanks for the link on how to train them away from humping I will be straight on this tonight, I really dont want to see to his 'winky' very often !

The 'responsive' penis is huge compared to body size in many (most?) mammals. I gasped when I first saw a televison programme about horses.

Is that why the bully sticks are so long? I nearly died in thepet shop when I was asking about what I *thought* was a rather skimpy piece of shin bone.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

oh yes, can totally relate here. Merlin's lipstick often makes an appearance much to the disgust of his Dad who can't believe how big it is for such a small guy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oakley's is still a cocktail sausage! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

ohhhhhhh :yuk: thank goodness i have a female or i wouldnt be able to look when it popped out... sorry but ah!!!!!! :yuk: i hate seeing lily licking her little bit to ah!!!! :yuk:

Back