PDA

View Full Version : Darby Is Being Neutered/Very Low Platelets

Linda
11th December 2006, 03:02 PM
I feel dreadful, I have been trying to hold off on Darby's neutering until he was closer to a year. :(
He will be 9 months on Dec 29th, I just feel that his hormones have kicked in with a vengeance and although he doesn't bother any of the children he seems to be pretty hyper lately. :jmp:

I called :blabla: the Vet this morning and they just happened to have a cancellation this coming Friday, so I have gone ahead and booked the bloodwork, hernia repair and NEUTERING. :cry*ing:

What a Christmas present I am giving him, my husband is flipping out on me and he keeps telling me we should wait. :bang:

He said but he is such a beautiful boy, daaaah I keep reminding him that we are not breeders. This is coming from when we first brought Darby home my breeder showed an interest in using Darby as a stud. This really is not something that I want, yes in our eyes he is a beautiful boy
but I also reminded hubby that poor Dudley was done before his testacles even dropped. :dogwlk:

Wish him luck, for some reason I am shaking. :cry*ing:
I want him to be able to enjoy the snow and play this winter. I am also sticking with my own Vet, I don't feel comfortable with another Vet I spoke to who wants them to stay overnight with absolutely no one in the office overnight. :shock:
At my Vet's you drop them off before 9:00 a.m. and pick them up after work the same day. :thmbsup: This will give me this coming weekend to cuddle and care for him, they say he will be fine within a few days but they recommend keeping him quiet for 7 Days. I cannot imagine me keeping Darby quiet for 7 days.

Please, please tell me he will be fine.
They said if they find anything in the bloodwork they will give him IV Fluids and call me, if for any reason his bloodwork is not okay they will not do the surgery.

What could show up in his bloodwork to prevent them from doing the surgery. :huh: I am not going to sleep all week now.

Mary
11th December 2006, 03:06 PM
He will be fine Linda. He is a beautiful healthy boy and he will be bouncing around in the snow before you can turn around!

Blood count will check for any abnormalalities that could indicate renal(kidney) function problems, blood counts, any signs of infection.

He will do just great! And you will have a great weekend snuggling that beautiful little ruby boy.

Cicero's Mummy
11th December 2006, 03:08 PM
Oh, I am sure everything will be peachy!

Good luck... I know how it is to worry! Just remember to keep breathing... everything should be fine!

mishmosh
11th December 2006, 03:17 PM
good luck!

We've got to decide wether to get Bertie done at 6 mths when he has his hernia operation.

Linda
11th December 2006, 03:19 PM
If you are getting his hernia repaired, then I would definetely get him neutered at the sametime.

My Vet advised to wait to fix the hernia until he was being neutered no reason to put him under twice.

:( :( :( :( :(

duncans_ma
11th December 2006, 03:21 PM
Linda,
You have read how worried we all can get about putting our babies under for surgery, but you have also read that everything always turns out just fine.

We got Arthur done on a Friday also and stayed in to cuddle him that night. By Saturday morning, he didn't even know what happened and was doing everything he could to get out of his onesie and see what the big deal was 'down there'.

It will ease you mind to know that my avatar of the boys romping on the beach happened the Sunday after his surgery. They said to keep him as quiet as possible for 7 days, and we tried, really....but the best we could really do was make sure he wasn't straining to jump up and down off of the couch and bed.

We only let him run a little each day (see avatar) and always under our supervision. His stitches came out 7 days later and all is well.

Your husband will get over it....Darby is gorgeous but you need to do what you think is best for your baby...

We will be thinking about little Darby this Friday. :flwr:

Linda
11th December 2006, 03:59 PM
Ashley

Have you noticed any difference in Arthur since he was done, Dudley was only 5 /12 months when he was done and he was no where near as active as Darby is.

So is a onesie better than a cone.
I still have Dudley's cone, Darby is always checking himself out down under.

I really hope he does not lose his spunk for life but just in a calmer fashion. ;) ;) ;) ;)

arasara
11th December 2006, 04:06 PM
Linda,

After being around Darby I would not advise putting him in a cone!! :yikes :yikes haha that little pistol will be running into walls and everything.. poor little guy!

I think Darby will be fine - just take a deep breath and relax. I didn't notice too much of a difference in Kos when he was neutered, and he was neutered @ 5 months. I couldn't take it anymore, it had to be done. I must say Darby is sure a gentleman for being able to hold out this long though!

Kos was just a horndog!!

The vet I took Kos to thought I was nuts !! I brought his food, a bottle of water, his dishes, and even bought him a new booda bone for when he got out. .oh yea and his blanket, harness, and leash. Although they didn't even let him out to pee!! :x :x :x

They didn't use anything but they said they might have to keep him overnight .. thank God he got to come home because that poor boy was bursting and i was soo angry with them!! :( :( :(

Will Darby need some get well treats??? ;) ;) ;)

LauraD
11th December 2006, 04:33 PM
Oh Linda, we all understand your worries but you know they will take extra good care of your boy and all will be fine. :flwr: Again if the hernia needs to be repaired better to do it at the same time. And you know how quickly dogs recover from surgeries, it's all you can do to keep them quiet during recovery! :sl*p:
Darby will be fine and we will all be sending out the positive thoughts for everything to go well. He will be okay Linda and we will be here for you. :)

Charleen
11th December 2006, 04:51 PM
Jolly J(h)umper gets neutered on Wed. Dec 13th !

Linda
11th December 2006, 05:42 PM
Sorry it has been over 2 years since Dudley was neutered, I know once they are done you have to really watch that they don't gain too much weight.

Anybody experienced this, I don't recall Dudley gaining weight.

What is the reason for them gaining weight anybody know.

molly
11th December 2006, 06:47 PM
Ah, Linda and Charleen. Little Jolly and Darby will be like new so quick. Our Casey was done at 7 months and we just kept him from jumping. He was fine and was acting like himself as soon as we brought him home the next day. Also didn't even bother with his stitches or anything. IT will hurt you and your OH more...ouch! Hugs to both boys.

matties mum
11th December 2006, 06:55 PM
Having had Barney done at 9 mouths old he still has daft as before and I did not ues a collar thing---Aileen

Kodee
11th December 2006, 08:16 PM
I will think of your both on Friday, but I also know all will be fine! Although my experience was 15 yrs ago and with a female, I remember in the end our dog was a little groggy and slept when she got home (like you morning drop off and evening pick up). But the next day although quieter for a few days she was her happy self. You'd never know anything had been done.

The problem was me! I was a nervous wreak, I was the one that needed the sedative and to relax. Its the same with my kids now, they may be 19 and 21 but if one of them is hurting I feelit 10x worse! I am such a sap that way.

We didnt use a cone, but for the little cost, I would buy one and have it available. It really is an individual thing - he may be bothered by it and lick it or he may ignore it. We were given a cream to help with healing that also dubbed as a not nice taste - that deterred any wanting of irrating it so the cone was never used. Besides both my brother and sister have cones hanging around their house because both dogs have needed them the odd time for other things (cuts, skin rash etc) so why not get it now because you never know when it can come in handy.

Oh and I know he will feel fine after the surgery as I sit here typing a little drugged myself this morning as i just got back from an endoscopy and my my if he feels like me, he will be in a nice fuzzy state icon_whistling

Not to steal your post - but I am confused as to why people are discussing when to do this. I thought 6mths was standard. Is it better to hold off or is it just a matter of 6mths but if you want you can wait? Also since I am reading lots of posts going back ages to get info and refresh my puppy memories... I remember I read a post last night from this sites moderator which exlained weight gain. You'd be better to search for it, but if i interperted it right - it said the weight gain was due to some slow down after therefore their nutritional needs should be adjusted if weight gain is noticed. Its not that they gain weight because of it, but because they might not be as active.

judy
11th December 2006, 08:20 PM
linda, i relate to your anxiety--i made appointments for neutering and cancelled 3 times. :yikes :yikes :yikes

it was hard. (on me, not on him).

after i dropped him off i was crying in my car, driving to the market. it was because i didn't get to say good bye, there was a misunderstanding.

i really like my vet, i think she did a great job. she used self dissolving stitches which meant there was no follow up, once he healed, it was over. it was just a tiny wound, in the shape of an X, maybe an inch, it looked pretty superficial, kind of gross of course on the first day (i actually have a photo of it becuase i wanted to see how it was healing), but it healed really fast, each day it got smaller and she wanted him to heal for 7 days. i did it on a saturday, i took off work on the monday just to keep an eye on him but he was fine by then. i didn't have a follow up appointment. on the phone, the vet said it was fine for him to go to the dog park on the following saturday, even though he gets into some rough and dirty activity there. she was not worried.

but she adamantly wanted him to wear the cone. i used the onesie when i was home but put the collar on when i wasn't home. but zack liked the collar. he likes anything i put on him, sweaters, raincoats, collar/harness. i don't know why. he did run into walls or door frames, and struggled with it to get into his crate, but he did not seem to mind at all, he acted like it was his normal condition, didn't seem to realize there was anything different.

the worst part was when i picked him up. they had given him a pain shot during the surgery in a addition to the anaesthesia and he didn't look good at all, i was distraught to see him so uncomfortable looking. he went into his smaller crate at home, in the living room, and slept for most of the 12 hours following the surgery. he got up a couple of times and found that he wasn't right, and went back to sleep. Then, suddenly he got up and wanted to play and seemed to feel fine, it was 1am. :sl*p:
i was happy even though more than ready to go to sleep myself at that point, but i played with him. he seemed to be careful in his movements but psychologically he seemed happy and back to normal. The next day, the day after the surgery, he was his normal self/activity level/mood. The vet was not terribly concerned about activity but she was quite concerned about infection, and about the sutures being disturbed by him licking them, so she strongly urged me to use the cone. but zack didn't lick, hardly. i did use the cone though. she scared me, she said both times that i talked to her on the phone soon after, "I would hate to have to bring him back into surgery and put him under anaesthesia again."

but the main thing is, it was such a minor thing for zack, except for those hours he was still under the anaesthesia, and i think the pain shot complicated that situation. I'm not sure why they gave him the pain shot, i wish i had asked. i dont[ know if that's very common, but they charged plenty for it.

Since the neutering, Zack has been more active than ever if that's possible. He doesn't sleep much when i'm home, though more lately because my liftestyle changed and im less fun than i was before. :(

He did not gain any weight after being neutered at 7 months, until around 12 months. then he gained about a pound and a half, and he is now two pounds more than he was when he was neutered.

The increased frenetic excitment he had before the surgery went away. He still gets excited, but before the surgery, he woudl freak when he got excited, barking in a high pitched way, arf arf arf, like if we would get near the dog park. and even arfing while playing witht he other dogs, he was beyond excited. that stopped. The leg lifting frequency went down noticeably. that was about it. i have seen no decline in activity or weight gain, just a normal expected weight gain, and always active and exuberant still.

One of the most important things to me in the neutering, that made me feel better, was to use the homeopathic remedies that Nicki used with Jack. i don't remember what they all were, i think phosphorus was one--the thing is, there is something to give them for anaesthesia effects (which i forgot to give him, though i bought it) and stuff for surgical wound healing, and stuff for genital wounds, giving Zack those things, arnica was probably one of them, made me feel better, i've had great experiences with homeopathic stuff for infections and for wounds so i felt like i was really doing something helpful.

my vet also gave him pain pills and antibiotics, i think. i'm not sure about the antibiotics. i gave him one pain pill, not because he acted in pain, on the contrary, he never acted in pain, but because the vet said to give it to him whether he acted in pain or not. but i ended up only doing it once even though she said to do it for a day or two or more, i dont' remember.
i'm guessing she may have prescribed pain pills around the clock to keep him from wanting to lick the incision. but he didn't do it anyway.

i know that if i go through this with a second dog, it will be easier for me. but it was hard on many levels. Not that i wanted to breed zack ever, but there was something about altering the natural perfection of his body, and unknown health risks of doing that which went against my instincts. but the social/behavioral reasons for doing it became strong enough for me to choose to do it.

was dudley a quieter puppy before the neutering?

Linda
11th December 2006, 08:54 PM
Judy

Thank you so much for your detailed post, I just actually called the Vet again to confirm that the stitches are dissolving and they are.

She said if he is more comfortable in his own crate then to bring that along too along with his leash, it will be just like my husband to forget everything.

I have called to make appointments Judy and find out the waiting list and said okay I will call back. I never actually made the appointment, Darby is not a marker or a humper he just gets really excited when we go to the park and sometimes at home too. I figure since I am also awaiting surgery I better get him done while I am okay, not that it will take him long to recover.

My husband will be the one crying, he has to bring him and when he brought Dudley all the girls in the office had assure him Dudley would be fine. I am sure they will have to do the same, I feel like I have given Darby a much longer time that I did Dudley and I really don't think he is going to be such a big boy. I would guess him around 15 to 16 lbs full grown.

I have emailed Nicki, not sure if her broadband is down again.
But I really haven't seen her on the boards over the last few days.

I like my Vet too and it is the same Vet who did Dudley just for some reason I am thinking it is going to hurt Darby more since his testacles have dropped and Dudley's didn't as he was much younger.

My son claims that Darby has a deeper bark than Dudley because of this.
Who knows, if hubby had his say then Darby would never be getting done.
We have the cone still from Dudley, but like Sara said I can't picture Darby keeping that on, I will most likely ask one of the parents for a old Onsie from the kids.

We'll Judy we will all one day get together so that you can just be as much fun for Zack as you were before.

Dudley has always been pretty quiet, he was more playful as a puppy but since we got Darby he plays more now.
Luv
Linda & The Boys

judy
11th December 2006, 11:41 PM
Here is a thread where Nicki talked about the remedies. Scroll down to the second to last post, she gives details of her homeopath's remedies for the surgery. There's lots of other neutering info on the thread too.

CLICK HERE (http://cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1993&start=0)

btw the blood work is mainly looking for liver and kidney function i think. maybe they are also looking at those are the organs that will mostly process and eliminate the anaesthesia.

Linda
13th December 2006, 01:25 PM
Jolly J(h)umper gets neutered on Wed. Dec 13th !

Charleen I am thinking of Jolly today, please let me know how he is.

Funny I found one of the kids Baby Undershirts, put it on Darby last night and is perfect as a onsie. I cut a hole for his tail.
I will take a pic later and let you all have a look, it is so funny. :D :D :D :D :D

HUbby is really making me feel guilty about neutering him early.

I think it is also because he is dropping off, but he was going on and on about it the other night I had to end up going upstairs.
You would think it was him that was being done. :yikes :yikes :yikes

judy
13th December 2006, 06:54 PM
good luck charleen. i hope it goes smooth.

Nicki
14th December 2006, 09:51 PM
You would think it was him that was being done. :yikes :yikes :yikes
Now there's a thought :badgrin: :badgrin:

Just posting to wish you all the best for tomorrow darling, don't worry, he will be fine.

He's young and will bounce back really quickly - the hardest thing will be keeping him quiet afterwards :D

Thanks for posting the link Judy - glad you found it helpful, I always give remedies before adn after surgery, I make up the remedies in a sterile bottle with some cooled boiled water, and that makes it easy for the vets to give 3-4 drops asap afterwards, and a couple of times later that day if the dog is to be in for a while. My vet isn't interested in homoeopathy but has been impressed by how quickly they recover...

Many vets would rather you didn't take in lots of your pets own things...it's very easy for them to get lost :(

Tell Frank to remind them about the hernia just in case it's not been written down to do....

and will be sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers for you and for darling Darby - and special cuddles for Dudley, he will miss his wee brother...

The reason they tend to gain weight after neutering is that the metabolism changes, and they do tend to be less active too. as long as you reduce his food a bit - perhaps by a 1/3 and see how he goes...and keep up his exercise, he should be fine. You are aware of it so he's not going to put on pounds without you noticing. TBH Jack has actually lost weight since neutering...

duncans_ma
14th December 2006, 09:53 PM
{{{{{{{{{{{{Linda, Darby and Dudley}}}}}}}}}}}}}

My boys and I will be thinking of you all tomorrow! Let us know how he is doing... :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Charleen
14th December 2006, 10:05 PM
Good Luck Darby - You'll be fine. Your Mom will be the wreak.

Judy - Jolly had his neutering yesterday and he is recovery nicely. I just called the doggy day care and they have had him up at the front counter area with them all day where they can watch him. He is quite sleepy today and thankfully isn't wimpering anymore. Last night he just couldn't get comfortable and when he moved it hurt him, so he would cry out. I was up part of the night trying to comfort him.

Linda
14th December 2006, 10:53 PM
They just called to confirm his surgery, and said he is first in line. :yikes :yikes

Poor Frank will be having a heart attack, I am busy in the morning so that will help take my mind off it. :sl*p: :sl*p:
But as soon as I get home I am gonna be on that phone. :blabla:

Thanks everybody, I know I will be crying I am a wuss. :cry*ing:

Frank keeps telling Darby, do you have any idea what your mother is doing to you. Darby sits and looks at him and gives him the head tilt like he really understands. The stitches are dissolving. :D :D :D

Coco's mom
15th December 2006, 01:20 AM
Linda, I'm sure Darby will be fine. :flwr:
Good luck tomorrow! We'll be thinking about you!

Lani
15th December 2006, 03:19 AM
Good Luck tomorrow Darby!! We'll be thinking of you. :flwr:

judy
15th December 2006, 04:33 AM
...thankfully isn't wimpering anymore. Last night he just couldn't get comfortable and when he moved it hurt him, so he would cry out. I was up part of the night trying to comfort him.

aw. did they suggest giving him pain pills? zack's vet had given a prescription of Ultram for pain and told me to give it to him around the clock for several days. he didn't seem in any pain so i didn't give him any but would've if he was hurting. maybe he wasn't hurting after because they gave him an extra pain shot during the surgery.

i hope Jolly is rapidly feeling like his normal self again. it must be hard for you to have to leave him, but i know you're glad you have someone reliable and caring to leave him with.

judy
15th December 2006, 04:37 AM
good luck linda! i'm sure he'll do great and by saturday all should be normal more or less. just tell frank not to slip him any special treats on the way to the surgery, because of the anaesthesia. ;)
:hug:

Charleen
15th December 2006, 04:41 AM
Thanks Judy for the comments. Jolly seems a little better tonight. He is sleeping right now. That is already better than yesterday. He still can't go upstairs, but maybe in a few days he'll be bright as rain.

Tomorrow is Darby's big day. I pray that all goes well for him. *ng*l

Cathy Moon
15th December 2006, 05:19 AM
We're sending hugs to you and Darby for Friday! :hug:
:xfngr: :xfngr: :paw: :paw: :paw: All our fingers and paws are crossed for good luck.

Alison_Leighfield
15th December 2006, 09:35 AM
Sending hugs for Darby, (((xxx))) he will be just fine Linda, I can't believe that time has come around so fast! it seems only yesterday he was a tiny baby!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Claire L
15th December 2006, 10:10 AM
Good luck today Darby! :hug: 's to you Linda. I know how worrying it is when they have to go in for surgery. Distract yourself as much as you can and stay off the coffee.

:flwr: :hug:

Maxxs_Mummy
15th December 2006, 01:02 PM
Good luck Darby, it's for your own good you know :badgrin:

Linda, I'm sure he'll be fine :flwr: Btw, neutering never calmed Maxx down and if it DOES calm them down then I'd hate to think what Charlie was like before :lol:

Claire
15th December 2006, 01:03 PM
Good luck Darby, don't worry you won't even miss them - our boys were in in the morning and home at 5pm - one little inside stitch and that's it - no cone, and they were running about the same night.

Linda
15th December 2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks alot Donna, it is suppossed to help calm him down.
If it doesn't he is being shipped to you for xmas. :yikes :yikes

My poor Dudley looks lost without him already, he left at 6:45 this morning and is most likely still on the road with Dad. :drivecar:
He probably thinks he is going to the park or something, gotta do it. :( :( :(

Poor wee lad, I told him what was happening he just looked at me as if to say 'WHY ARE YOU NOT FEEDING ME MOMMY" 'I AM REALLY HUNGRY"I Will have to get him a wee get well pressie to make him feel better.
Thanks Guys
Just in case I have'nt told you all in a while

I DAMM WELL LUV YOU GUYS. :D :D :D :lotsaluv:

Maxxs_Mummy
15th December 2006, 01:30 PM
{{{{{{{{Linda}}}}}}}} Charlie has had two of those mornings lately and when I came home without him the other day, Maxx looked everywhere for him :?

You'd best send him Fed ex or UPS as the mail will never get here on time and then he'll get really hungry :lol: I'll look out for a small package.....

enchantingdragon
15th December 2006, 02:00 PM
Good luck Darby!! We'll see you soon!

Linda
15th December 2006, 04:04 PM
{{{{{{{{Linda}}}}}}}} Charlie has had two of those mornings lately and when I came home without him the other day, Maxx looked everywhere for him :?

You'd best send him Fed ex or UPS as the mail will never get here on time and then he'll get really hungry :lol: I'll look out for a small package.....

He ain't that small you know, are you gonna feed him as soon as he gets there. icon_whistling

Poor wee fellow was trembling my Hubby said, that is because he was and Darby could sense it.
:(

matties mum
15th December 2006, 04:05 PM
Any news yet ----Aileen

Linda
15th December 2006, 05:45 PM
:updte:
Okay I just called the Vet, now I am a nervous wreck.

They said not to worry, but I will anyway. :cry*ing:

They said that the surgery went really well, but he is having some reverse sneezing which means he is not taking in as much air as he should be.
They are not letting him come home early, they obvisoully want to observe him longer. :(

I am flipping out over here, Frank is going to tell me I told you to leave him alone. icon_nwunsure

Has anybody had this happen, am I panicking for nothing they said not to worry. h*lp

arasara
15th December 2006, 06:01 PM
oh linda darby is fine !! H'es going to be very tired but he is through the worst part and he's doing fine@!! They kept kosmo because he was cold too so I kno whow the worry is but he's going to be fine!!

It could be like my mom's jack russel who got evicted from the vets! :yikes :yikes As soon as she woke up from the anesthesia she went bonkers and they said "excuse me mam please come and take her she's going to either drive herself crazy or need to be sedated again!" :yikes :yikes

duncans_ma
15th December 2006, 06:10 PM
Linda, He is going to be fine. The vets know what they are doing and if he is having a little trouble taking in air, it sounds like they have already identified it and are doing what they need to do.

Just try and stay calm for your other little boy, he can probably sense that you are upset.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Linda
15th December 2006, 08:40 PM
Thank you Everybody for being so concerned about my little boy. :flwr:

Just called the Vet again, as hubby called and wanted to know if he could go get him. They said Frank can pick him up in another hour. :D

They said he is fine now, although he does have some swelling and has been given some meds for the pain. :|

They will be sending home instructions with Frank, the house feels so empty without him. :( Then in another few days he will be running around here like a pistol. :yikes

He usually follows me everywhere I go, Dudley is just laying around sleeping everything is so quiet.

I am sure he will be back to himself in a few days.
They did just take him out to do potty.

So Darby does not usually sleep in his crate, he usually sleeps with me in my bed.

I don't think after what he has been through that I should make him sleep in his crate.

I just want him to come home, it is better that he arrives after the house has quietened down anyway, so he can :slp:

arasara
15th December 2006, 08:48 PM
oh Linda Kosmo didn't want to sleep at all when I brought him home.. He said "to hell with you woman" and destroyed a few paper things and ran around like a nuthouse.

So glad the vet took him out to go potty!!

See I told you he was fine. :) My little guy Darby you're such a strong little red-headed man!! Don't worry about losing the "family jewels," most every dog has to go through it! :yikes Kosmo says he doesn't miss his (even though I think it's cuz he doesn't remember them!! :yikes :yikes )

We look forward to seeing you next Saturday - maybe you and Kosmo can compare scars.. LOL :lol:

Nicki
15th December 2006, 09:18 PM
oh so glad wee Darby is ok...

TedBear was very cold after his anaesthetic too and they wouldn't let me have him back for a while...but he was fine later.

Thank goodness Frank can go and get him now...you will feel better once he's home and safe with you...

He might be better in the crate next to the bed...maybe raise it up so it's on the same level as the bed, so he can see you. He will be a bit sore and will be safer in the crate, just in case you accidentally bump him.

Dudley is prob missing his wee brother...he will be happy to have him home.

Maybe try giving Darby a very small meal...perhaps some boiled chicken and rice, just a couple of spoonfuls Don't worry if he doesn't want it though, he might still be feeling a bit sicky and will prob be hungry in the morning.

Lindsay
15th December 2006, 09:20 PM
I am so glad he is ok! Poor little fella. :flwr:

I think Spencer would go through it again because he got so much extra love and attention and TOYS! :yikes

Linda
15th December 2006, 09:44 PM
h*lp h*lp :cry*ing: :cry*ing:
Okay now I am worrying, sorry you guys are really gonna thing I am a big wuss.

I just called them to see if Frank had arrived yet, I spoke with the nurse who assisted in the surgery.

How they don't tell you things to worry you, but I am now sitting here crying, I am sure that some of you have mentioned this before and it is normal for cavaliers but somebody please respond.

His platelets count is very very low they checked it twice and she said she was very concerned as they can bleedout, his pressure dropped during the surgery. They inserted IV Fluids for safety and they are sending him home with

Arneca Homepathic Remedy.

She could automatically hear the worry in my voice but she said the Vet re-assured her that this is normal for cavaliers.

Nicki/Sara help. :cry*ing: :cry*ing:

My Wesley
15th December 2006, 10:38 PM
Awe! I'm sure he will be ok! Poor little guy! So hard being a mom!

Nicki
15th December 2006, 10:53 PM
do they know about Cavaliers having large platelets...if they counted by machine, it would count them as low...but isn't anything to worry about normally...

Have a look at this darling...

http://ackcsc.org/health/cavalierplateletissues.pdf

and http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5536&highlight=platelets

and try not to worry, I know it's hard :(

Sending all our love and very big cuddles :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Arnica is for the pain and swelling, it's a brilliant remedy :D

Nicki
15th December 2006, 10:56 PM
Sorry just re read your post, yes sounds like your vet is aware of this in Cavaliers...

:oops:

I'm sure he will be fine - they wouldn't be sending him home if they were worried...

judy
15th December 2006, 10:58 PM
Linda, very low platelet counts are definitely normal for cavaliers. I'm not sure what the tech meant--did she mean that even for a cavalier it was low? But then later she said it was normal? one thing for sure, cavaliers normally have platelet counts that are so low that in another breed, it would be pathological and worrisome, but not in the cavalier.

I expect the drop in blood pressure isn't uncommon either. It sounded like the main reason for caution in discharging him was the reverse sneezing, which i am guessing could be because the anaesthesia relaxed the muscles and caused that part of the pharynx or whatever it is to fall down over the opening further than usual, but if they're ready to discharge him, he surely is fine now.

Your vet earned my highest respect for giving him arnica to help with healing.

Good luck and let us all know how he is doing when he gets home.
He really should be pretty normal by tomorrow if not sooner. i hope so, for your sake, poor baby, how stressful.

:xfngr: :flwr:

Linda
15th December 2006, 11:08 PM
Judy the tech was not aware of low platelet counts in cavaliers but my Vet was very well aware of it.

I spoke with the Vet Tech so she informed me that she was shocked at how low they were until my Vet re-assured her this is totally normal in Cavaliers.

I just feel so bad for him, and I am such a emotional person I get upset so easily. I am trying to let all me tear out now as he should be home any minute.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for caring about my baby and me so much.

She said I am to give him Arnica 3 times a day, she would right everything out for Frank.

Will let you know how he is when I see him.

Nicki
15th December 2006, 11:57 PM
is he home yet???

LauraD
16th December 2006, 12:20 AM
Linda, I'm glad that the surgery is over and I'm sure Darby will be happy to be home. Everything should be just fine. It sounds like they just wanted to make sure the little guy was doing alright before going home. Don't worry yourself too much. All will be well soon. :flwr: Darby might be a little sore and ouchy and may just want to rest or sleep. That is normal after neutering. By tomorrow he will probably be trying to do everything he usually does.
Hang in there Linda, it is not as bad as it seems. He will be back to his old self before you know it, and you can relax a bit. We will be thinking of you. :paw:

Linda
16th December 2006, 12:22 AM
He is home, OMG I feel so awful for him he is swollen and I have never seen my baby boy like this before. :(

He is so calm, not moving at all.
Poor Dudley does not know what is going on, he was so happy to see him and he can't figure out what is wrong with him. :? :?

I am going to get a towel and the peas and let him sit on them for 10 minute intervals twice in a hour.

We gave him the Arnica as instructed by the Vet, please keep good thoughts for him.

Frank said this morning he was literally shaking like a leaf this morning.

I hope to see my baby back to himself.

It is so strange to have him not move around.

Charleen
16th December 2006, 12:30 AM
I am so glad to hear that Darby is home with you.

Coco's mom
16th December 2006, 02:09 AM
We've been thinking about Darby today. Glad to hear Darby is at home with you again. I'm sure he will be back to his normal self in a few days. Hang in there. :flwr: Sending you both good thoughts and hugs. :hug:

Lisa_T
16th December 2006, 03:22 AM
Best wishes for Darby's recovery... When Holly was spayed she moaned a whimpered the day after, but then the day after that she was romping on the beach. I didn't know you were supposed to keep them quiet :oops: I'm sure Darby will bounce right back so fast you won't know what hit you...

..and what the heck is a onesie?!
*puzzled*

Kodee
16th December 2006, 03:28 AM
I just read this now and I am so sorry you had to go through a scare like that. You must be emotionally drained! But thank goodness all is well, you both need a nice snuggle and to rest tonight. I'm sure you'll both feel much better in the morning. Your vet sounds really nice and knowledgable - I am hunting for one before Kody arrives. I used the same vet for 12 yrs, but with stories like yours here, I want to be sure I have one that knows cavaliers well. Too bad Thornhill is too far! Take care.

judy
16th December 2006, 04:08 AM
linda...i can just imagine how sad it is to see him being still. :( that was the worst part for me, zack is like the energizer bunny and after the neutering, he went into his crate where he never never goes, and the expression on his face looked to me like he was suffering. it turned out to just be the effect of the anaesthesia and pain shot rather than the pain itself, although i didn't believe that until the meds did suddenly wear off and he looked happy again and wanted to play. you will get through this, soon. but this part is very hard. The thought of having done this to the poor helpless trusting little thing. :( i dont' remember if zack was swollen but i do have a photo of the wound and it looks scary and gross. good thing you have those peas!!! and arnica. :xfngr:
xoxo

Roxanne
16th December 2006, 04:24 AM
Linda (((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

I am just now able to get on the boards for today and read everything . First on the swelling ....... thats EXACTLY how Colby was , I kept calling my vet and asking of this was normal and she assured me it was ( I still didnt believe her :lol: .......but I guess it was bc it went down finally and he is normal !) . His sack was PURPLE when we got home and he was in alot of pain for 3 days . They always said a boys neuter was a piece of cake but that was NOT our experience . I have had 4 girls spayed and none of them were swollen and painful like my poor baby boy . You really know how much you love them when your heart hurts bc they hurt .

Darby will be fine in a couple of days , Try not to worry and just enjoy his quietness .........bc he will be spunky again before you know it.

Hope Frank isnt still giving you a hard time .

Call me tomorrow if you want/need to ;)

and give that little rehead soft belly rubs and kisses from me and my gang .

Denni
16th December 2006, 08:12 AM
Poor Darby sorry to hear hes in such pain. I was lucky with all 4 of the boys in my life, they were back to their old ways by the 2nd day. Its amazing how fast dogs heal. They just dont seem to have the concept for pain that we do.

Maxxs_Mummy
16th December 2006, 08:45 AM
{{{{{{{{Linda and Darby}}}}}}}} hope the little fella is a bit better today, Linda. Hopefully, the arnica will have been doing its job and relieving the swelling and bruising :flwr: xxxxxx

Nicki
16th December 2006, 11:52 AM
Hope you had a decent night's sleep and that Darby is feeling much much better today. The Arnica should do the trick, it really is good.

It's so nice that Dudley was pleased to see him though...remember how you thought he wasn't going to like him :lol:

I'm sure Darby will be feeling a bit better today, try to keep him a little bit quiet if possible and by tomorrow he really will be bouncing agan.

Thinking of you darling, (((((hugs)))) and heaps of love xxxxx

Linda
16th December 2006, 07:11 PM
Hi Everyone

:updte: :updte:

Just wanted to let you all know that Darby is doing much better today, I guess I was pretty emotional yesterday. Not used to my little red head being so motionless. :slp:

He is moving around alot better today, and he ate his breakfast.
He is swollen which I am sure will go down within 3 or 4 days, looks like some bruising is coming in. Gave him his dose of Arnica this morning and will give another in a few hours. :thmbsup:

It was really hard for me to sleep as I was so worried the little fellow would start licking the forbidden area. He is now wearing a onsie I cut a hole for his tail, he is still pretty laid back which I am thankful for. :slp:

Poor Dudley is trying to intiate play and Darby is not too interested, I will post a picture of him all quiet and resting later he is in his crate sound asleep . :luv:

:thnku: for all the wonderful support you guys are great, I never went through this with Dudley so I was quite the mess yesterday. :cry*ing:

I am very grateful that my Vet is so informed of this condition in Cavaliers.

Thanks for caring about us. :hug:

Will keep you all posted.
You all are so wonderful. :flwr:

matties mum
16th December 2006, 08:11 PM
Oh so glad that he isbetter---Aileen

Nicki
16th December 2006, 10:49 PM
So glad he is ok...you know how much we love you and the wee fellow, of course we were all here for you :flwr: :flwr:

Mary
16th December 2006, 11:16 PM
I am so glad that Darby is getting back to his normal self. It doesn't take long. It is so difficult when they are not feeling perfect.

judy
17th December 2006, 12:10 AM
thanks for the update linda--glad it's good news and progress. :flwr:

Roxanne
17th December 2006, 12:42 AM
Thats great news Linda !

LauraD
17th December 2006, 04:34 AM
So glad to hear Darby is feeling better and you are feeling better too. :) It will take time before he is back to normal, but things sound on the right track. Maybe tonight you can both get a good night's sleep. Let us know how things progress. :flwr: