• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy VRS. Adult Coat

Cicero's Mummy

I have a silly question...

Is there a serious case of the puppy uglies when they transition from puppy to adult coat? A friend of mine has pomeranians, and they go through an "uglies" phase where they almost look sickly, but then a huge beautiful coat pops up.

Is it the same way in CKCS?

Also... how long should you wait to give your new puppy a bath? Can it happen as soon as he/she comes home for the first time? (after adjusting of cource!)

Thanks
Rave

All they did was molt a little bit more and just get longer coats and feathering - no uglies. We only bathe ours when they are smelly or dirty - they had one in August and then one the other week. In the very beginning I would just use cotton wool to wipe their eyes (new one for each eye), clean the instead of their ears (not very wet just dampish) - another wash if they need their bum area cleaned or the hair on their willy cleaned. They also had their gums/teeth rubbed gently.

i wouldn't say ugly LOL

most pups around 6-8 months go through the non puppy look and sometimes seem leggie and slim but the coat shouldn't really change :flwr:

Claire said:
another wash if they need their bum area clean or the little hair on their willy cleaned.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm so glad someone else was just as obessessed about willy hair! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Harvey's got really long willy hair lol
When he goes for a wee a little bit stays in the hair and if you pick him up for a cuddle not realizing you get it all over you :oops: :rotfl:

I wa relly glad when Joly lost his puppy coat. If you picked him up, your clothes were covered in heair, yet brushing or combing him didn't appear to remove any hair.

A tip from a show breeder helped. She suggested threading an elastic band around the teeth of a metal comb and it worked wonders, as the hair was removed by the elastic band. (From Joly;not the clothing). Teddy's coat was completely different. He didn't have a mad moult and just developed alovely adult coat, which he has managed to lose at the moment, because of a possible allergy.

But on the other hand, a lot of people find if you trim the 'wick' on their willy, the urine sprays all over and is more likely to get on their feathering on their front legs! :shock: That happened with mine when they were trimmed for their neuter.

I'm actually finding that Lily is messier than the boys -- part of her 'trousers' often sit right in the urine when she squats and she clearly had urine burns on her hind legs from when she had matts and the urine would soak into the matts. So I may well keep her slightly trimmed -- first time I'd have conciered keeping a cavalier somewhat trimmed. icon_nwunsure

Hmm... this thread has taken a very informative turn! Lol!

I found in my chihuahua that if I kept the willie hair trimmed it was better... but he had way short hair!

If all goes well this will be our first girl pup... so advice... I know that some people do trim thier cavaliers... hmmmmmmmm...

Back