• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coat problem,white coat changing to reddish!

Indy

Hi to everybody!
I spent 2 hours reading the health topics, but found nobody with similar problem...
My 2 year old Blenheim cav is having a problem with his coat :?
Ok- a lot of cavaliers have reddish faces,mine too.But for the year now his tummy zone,between back legs ,and paws are lightly reddish.
This summer his coat was so smelly , but it's over now.I believe it was because of ear infection .
I tried with Angel's glow for 6 months and he looked :w*w: he was white as a snow!Eyes were dry,looking good!
Nobody happier than me.. :D But sadly, when stopped with it, I was shocked when noticed traces of that disgusting change of colour.
His face was every day more and more red :yuk: but not smelly now.
We took him to vet but it seems he has no idea what to do.He says it's normal because he swims a lot(every day,but after that I always wash wet parts with water ).
So, now I know he can have his great coat back,but how???
He's shedding a lot, but coat is OK ,except colour.
We have bacteria and fungus test done.In lab they found Staphylococcus aureus and candida infection.
He got 13 days therapy -Synulox, Oronazol bath ,and Tobrex eye drops.
For his tummy vet gave him Stypto-lactin.
This oral therapy is over ,now I have to bath him for two weeks in that shampoo.
I changed his diet from combination RC Adult+puppy to RC beauty(thats morning meal,evening meal is cooked +BARF)
The only thing that is looking better now is his face,it's little bit whiter .
He hasn't been alergy tested yet.Food elimination process is mission impossible because he is very choosy and doesn't like eating.
His tummy is sensitive, so every food mistake leeds to diarhea,but it's not happening often :D
Did enybody have such experiences with cav coats?
Please , every advice is welcome, don't know what else I could do...
BTW
I stopped with A.Glow because couldn't find it any moore in Croatia :(
But after 7 months of therapy it should do the trick,do you agree? :roll:

I just knew you were going to say candida infection. Maxx had horrible brown marks under his chin and around his eyes when he was on strong antibiotics. I just knew it was yeast related so i started giving him organic pro/prebiotic yogurt twice a day and now it's all gone :)

Hmmm, I think India has that, too. Probably from the antibiotics when she had UTIs. Donna, do you use plain flavor yogurt, or is fruit flavor ok? I'm concerned the sweetness might not be good for her.

I buy either Cathy. The one I buy has no added sugar anyway, the fruit sweetens it enough but it's not 'sweet' if you know what I mean :?

Tnx,for advice.Stypto-lactin is kind of probiotic.
I'll try with aditional Acidophilys and yogurt.Little advice -yogurt should be sugar and fruit free,because sweet supports candida grow.
I believe it takes some time to see the results.
Maxxs_Mummy -how long did it take to get rid of those brown marks?

Indy said:
candida infection.

I know this is a little off topic, but I knew a girl named Candida... so I was curious as to what kind of infection it was!! Poor girl... named after an infection!

:lol: MathisGreen: you crack me up!!!

My shih tzu has severe allergies which causes him to chew his skin. The wetness then equals out to a yeast infection, which causes the discoloration.

I just started using MSM, which will halp to balance out his immune system, make his skin healthier and also assist with his allergies. I sprinkle 1/4 tspn in his water, which I refill periodically throughout the day.

I also use a product called "Pet-dophilus" which has 4 different species of probiotics in it. I sprinkle it over his food each meal. Both of these are available in any health food store.

Something that also has REALLY helped and I have been doing it less than a week is putting olive oil in his food. His skin isn't half as dry as it used to be, which makes him chew less.

I give him olive oil all the time,skin is perfect, but coat.... :roll:
What is MSM? icon_blshing As much as I know it's remedy for artritis...
How does it help treating Candida? :thnx:

Here is a quote:

"MSM detoxifies the body on a cellular level, and provides nourishment to the hair, skin, and nails. MSM helps relieve pain and inflammation, reduces allergy problems, and promotes gastrointestinal health. It boosts immune function and in some cases, has been beneficial for heartburn, arthritis, lung problems, migraines, and muscle pain."

It seems like a "miracle" drug, but several of my friends who have shih tzus swear by it. I just started using it so I will let you know how it goes!!

:thnku: & :xfngr: for good results.I'll consider giving it to Indy,but I'm afraid of giving him too meny things at the same time.
What's the dosage?Which manufacturer ?
I read a little bit about it,and (y) It could be good for me too! :D
Thing that confuses me is there are 2 MSM products, Chondroitine and Sulfur.Which one are you giving to your doggy?

I am giving "Pure MSM Powder". It is from TriMedica. It is supposed to be 99.9% pure and does not have the metals that the cheaper products do. The dose is 1/4 a teaspoon and I put it in a bowl of water. All of my dogs drink out of the bowl so they are all getting it. When the bowl is low, I just refill it with another 1/4 teaspoon. They are probably not getting the full dose, but thats no big deal.

:thnx: for quick reply.I must check with the farmacists in my town ,if I can find it here...

Back