• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How can I do that Lia likes her harness?

Laura&Lia

Hi,

Lia don't lika at all the harness. When I put it on her starts whinning and crying, and she doesn't want to move.
The problem is she's scratching a lot and we are going to MRI'd her and is better for her to wear a harness than a collar.

How can I make Lia to love her harness?

Just thinking... could it be that the harness doesn't fit properly?

Would it help to feed her while the harness is on, then take it off - allowing her to begin to think of it in a positive way? Try feeding her treats and playing with her to distract her attention from the harness. Then take it off before she cries.

Is it a puppia harness?

She's such a lovely baby girl! :wggle:

Bertie took ages before he would accept a harness, he even yelped and sounded like he was in pain when he started to walk and run.

I gave up for a little while but as I prefer harnesses to collars, I kept trying now and again. I would take the harness off the minute he showed signs of discomfort and just try again another time.

I bought a Halti Harness which he accepted straight away for some reason and used that for a little while.

Then I decided I would try him with his other harness one more time and he was fine and has been wearing it daily ever since.

I think it's just a case of putting it on them for short periods of time and taking it off again and eventually they will be fine.

Bertie is five months now and has been wearing his harness now for about a month, before that, it was collar only and try with the harness for short periods.

Hope this helps.

Alison

Amber's the total opposite. She goes daft if you try to hitch a lead to her collar, but will walk quite happily in a puppia. I do notice both dogs scratching occassionally when they have their harnesses on, especially since they rarely scratch any other time. It seems to be the strap across their backs that sometimes bugs them, although they seem to fit nicely and they seem happy in the puppias most of the time. I noticed it because it seemed ironic that a harness that was supposed to help potentially SM/ very sensitive dogs in itself caused some scratching! :yikes

I have this trouble with Digby. I have tried lots of different types of harness and find the halti harness is the only one he will happily walk in and does not seem uncomfortable in. When he is in his car harness he will not move and almost curves under like something is standing on his back.

A word of warning though- unless the puppy is a calm little soul, don't go for aGentle Leader style harness. Holly will walk in one happily enough, but Amber justs bites as it which defeats the purpose. The kind that clip on the back (like the puppias do) is the most practical I think, especially for this getting used to walking on alead stage.

Just wanted to point out the halti harness I use is a chest strap halti harness not a halti head collar. The halti harness is also very similar to the sensation harness if you wanted to look that up. It is easy to get confused on these things. Well for me anyways :sl*p:

Thank you all.

I've bought a medium Puppia for Lia. When I put on the harnes not only starts to whin. When I remove it she doesn't want to come neither goes out of her crate.

I hope her puppia likes her.!!!! :xfngr: :wggle:

Back