• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

oldies: US rescue says please remember them!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
We have many threads on this board where people especially admire our cavalier oldies, their dignity, kindness, and loving temperaments and those silvery faces.

I know many would perhaps be interested in taking such a dog as a rescue -- but don't know where to look, and especially, don't realise that each year, many come into the breed club rescues that very badly need a loving retirement home. I hope some of our threads here might also have inspired some folks who might have been unsure of taking an older cavalier, to consider these Old Faithfuls and all the deep rewards and pleasures they can bring. Yes, we have to part with them sooner, but often they bring riches in that short period that cannot be had with a younger dog. In addition, though it may sound odd, many find that their fears of having to let such dogs go actually transform and they they become very profoundly moving and enriching experiences -- because truly, you are offering something very special and receiving in kind.

I really encourage everyone who is thinking of a second dog, to think about taking in an older dog. As you can see, there are many here on the board with such dogs who are ready and able to offer advice and support! :)

The CKCSC really needs homes for such dogs they have coming into rescue and they have posted to the main breeder list, asking people to please tick the box on their rescue application to say you would take an oldie.

If you are considering a rescue, here is their online application:

https://www.ckcsc.org/ckcsc/forms.nsf/rescueform?OpenForm

I for one absolutely support Karlin's suggestion for taking in the "older" rescues/rehomes. My last two have been older (one a rescue/one a rehome) and I have loved every minute of my time with them. Both came with medical problems, but that's just given me lots of information and even more of a reason they should spend their last years in a loving home only worrying about taking walks, sitting on the bed, and eating dinner!

While I love the puppies, I think taking in the adult cavs has given me even more love and understanding.

Thanx Karlin for reminding all of us that even "adults" need love and care too....

Sheri

Back