• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help! I need advice!

GusWilson

Poor little Gus had diarrhea last night at 11:30pm, 1:30am, 3:30am and the last time at 5:30am... then all day today he slept. He finally ate half his food at 2pm and the other half at about 6 pm tonight and this afternoon he had a normal bowel movement. So tonight the diarrhea started up again, first at 11:30pm and now at 1:30pm! He is being a doll and holding it till we get outside but the poor thing just hits the grass and squirts... Has anyone ever had a dog just get diarrhea at night? He is drinking water, I guess I will see how he is in the morning and then call my vet... any advice is welcomed!

Woody has just had it the little sod ate something on the common before I could catch him, he was sick first then had diarrehea throughout the night.

I would starve him for 24 hours - no food, treats, just leave the water down. After 24 hours feed him a small amount of a really sensitive biscuit food or boiled chicken and rice, we ended up with four small meals yesterday and at 9.30 last night had a hard poo...

I was told, by a vet, to give chicken or white fish with rice, but to not give any biscuit until the problem has gone away.

freddie had the same, so the vet told me to fast him for 24 hours and then he gave me a tanned food for a sensitive tummy, this was monday he is in flying form now running around the places!!

Just leave him out some water and fast him for 24hrs as he needs to get it out of his system!

i hear alot of ye talking about boiled chicken and rice, when i got freddie the breeder told me NOT to give him chicken at all! i wonder y that is?

I wonder whether the breeder had some contaminated chicken or fed some raw, which upset all her dogs. Every vet I've talked to suggested 24 hour fasting, followed by rice with cooked chicken or white fish.

Spottie allready had that 2 times when he was a puppy. It got so bad that i could not go to sleep upstairs and I stayed in the couch downstairs at night with spottie on my lap, my head, everywere on my body wrapped in a towel to avoid accidents...he was feeling really ashamed the poor thing...
I fell asleep and in the morning all of my hair was under diarrhea... :yuk:
I fast him a day and then gave him rice and chicken (which he is now still eating regularly) but went to the vet because it was really bad and i had to wash him about 10 times i think...
After a day or two everything was okay again...
Do not wait too long to go to the vets...

I found that the breeders recommendation for food is an awful lot different than a vets. My breeder told me to give Holly milk and wheetabix :yikes
Poor holly has the runs for days. Vet said no milk and give puppy nuts and boiled chicken or rice and chicken. When I took holly to be neutered, the vet suggested simple food like rice and chicken for the following days.

Yvonne

With us the reason is colitis but it could be he just got into something. It can't hurt to have the ver check him out, but the solution was the same.

Fast for 24 hours and then start slow and small with really bland meals. Our vet gave is Hill's Prescription Diet i/d (intestinal diet) until he was solid again.

duncans_ma said:
Fast for 24 hours and then start slow and small with really bland meals. Our vet gave is Hill's Prescription Diet i/d (intestinal diet) until he was solid again.

I/D is our "magic elixer". It's the only thing that settles their tummies. I always have a couple of can on hand for just such cases.

Many puppies, including all my four when younger, quite happily have Weetabix or Farley's baby rusks, with milk for breakfast. I think it's just some dogs that milk doesn't suit, just like with humans.

Thanks so much for the replys! I am going to just give Gus water today and see how he does... a lot of the yards around where I lived just mulched the lawns... I watch him like a haek but maybe he got a bite of something!

Good Luck - I have to be carefull with Chicken and Rice as that sets their tummies off :? the biscuits I have always work - so I think it is once you find it works keep it.

I agree, the fasting is the best idea. We had some tummy trouble and we waited 24 hours before feeding. After that we fed him pasta with blended chicken as he didn't like the rice, a few meals later we started to mix in normal food.

Back