• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Loud Yelp While Greeting

momay

I thought someone may be able to help with this dilemma I have with my 4 month old Tri, Sofee Marie.
On occasion, when I greet her after work, or just have not been home for a while, I will start to pet her all over and when I get to her back ribcage/flank area she will let out a large 'Yelp'. The first time it happened it scared me half to death. :yikes I could not find any open sores and she quickly recovered. It never happens when are playing, after I have been around her for a time. I had the vet look at her back flanks and ribcage, but she could not find anything swollen or strange. She offered an x-ray, but I decided to wait a few weeks. It doesn't happen at every greeting, but it did happen again last night with the dog walker, when she first greeted Sofee. We thought it may be her harness being too tight, but she has plenty of room, and it happened last night when she only had a collar on.
My gut tells me it is a 'sensitivity' thing. She is so excited to see us, that it comes out in a vocal and physical way. But, I wanted to check in here and get others opinions.
Any advice would be appreciated. It happens maybe 2-3 times per week. Thanks so much! :flwr:

You should be aware of, and consider the possibility of, syringomyelia, or SM. With SM, dogs can become especially sensitive and experience pain when excited, such as when greeting someone, because it increases the rate of flow of cerebro-spinal fluid (CSF) around the brain/down the spine, where it encounters blockages (syrinxes or fluid pockets in the spine, and often, part of the brain pushed down into the opening to the spine where it acts like a partial plug for the CSF) that press upon their pain sensors concentrated in the neck and spine area. If it is happening 2-3 times a week, I would really be considering this as something to look into more thoroughly.

I have a separate website dedicated to this condition. There are files that can be downloaded and given to your vet. I also have a separate forum dedicated to this condition and MVD on this board.

SM Infosite: http://sm.cavaliertalk.com

There could be other reasons too of course. But if your vet cannot find any other reason, and especially if your dog starts to show other possible symptoms, you will probably want to have her checked by a neurologist familiar with SM in cavaliers.

Thank you Karlin,
From the first week we had Sofee and I started reading about SM, I had a feeling she may have it. She does not air scratch, but is very stubborn when we do lead training and often scratches at her collar and harness, although when they are off, she does not scratch. I have not seen any more symptoms, but the yelping cannot be ignored.
I mentioned SM to my vet when we were in last, when she was checking her hind quarters and ribcage, but she had never heard of it, even though her sister owns a Cav.
I have an appointment this Saturday and will bring in the information from the link you have referenced. How very sad, I don't really know what to say but want to thank you for your honest reply. :flwr:

My mother in law's cavalier shows no other signs of SM, but Cate does have a sensitive spot just under her rib cage towards her hind quarters. If you attempt to pick her up and place your hand near it she will yelp. She has been examined by the vet and there doesn't seem to be any cause for it except just a sensitive spot... I don't know if these are the same or not.

Is it possible just to have a area where she is more sensitive and it not be related to SM? I am just asking because I really have no clue.

Pippin also does this occasionally and seems to have the sensitive spot but when I rub him or try to pick him up and he yelps I touch him in the same spot to feel for anything unusual and it doesn't happen a second time :?

Sensitive spots that sometimes cause a reaction can be SM or can be something else. If that is all the dog ever does then don't worry overly and just try to avoid that area or have a vet see if they can find a cause. Be familiar with other SM symptoms and if the dog starts to show any of those, then consider seeing a neurologist.

The reason the same spot may not bother a dog at times is because the pain there isn't due to a physical cause in the area. It has a neurological cause, of pain sensors not reacting correctly, hence a touch is experienced as pain. It's called neuropathic pain.

SM and MVD are the two big reasons to insure these dogs with a provider who covers genetic conditions. (y)

Most dogs with the condition will never have symtpoms or only mild ones but we all need to be aware of this condition.

Woody has a sensitive spot - rib cage by back legs, vet said it is to do with his spleen, if picked up wrong there can be pressure on the spleen.

Thanks for all your comments - it's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem! I am pretty enthusiastic about the pats and didn't know they had floating ribs. I guess I have to remember she is still a small dog, I'm used to playing with my sister's Springer Spaniel who now looks like a small horse compared to Sofee Marie! :jmp:
I'll continue to watch for anymore SM related symptoms and mention it to the vet also - and pray about it too. As a first time dog owner, I think I tend to get overly concerned about every little thing!
Last night she was teething something fierce! Spots of blood on her toys and just wanted to be next to me the entire evening. :d*g: I gave her a few ice cubes and a 'Chilly Bone' - soft fabric bone that can be frozen - but then of course I forgot to take her out more often with all the water from the ice and she had an accident. :oops: The joys of puppyhood!!
Thanks again - have a wonderful weekend! :thnku:

Back