• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What should I do?

KingstonsMom

I called my vet here in the city to ask about neutering. I was told the neuter would be $199.99, and they require bloodwork which is an extra $50. Because Kingston has an undescended testicle, that would up the price from between $100 and $300. So basically, I'm looking at a total cost of $300 to $500 dollars.

I'm sorry, but I thought this sounded ridiculous so I called my mother's vet. My mom lives 4 hours away from me, way out in the country. She's been taking her animals to the same vet for years. This vet charges $60 dollars for neutering and with an undescended testicle the cost would come out to about $90 dollars. I made an appointment to have it done the Thursday after Christmas when I would be in town.

The lady I spoke with at the country vet said not to worry, that the doctor had performed tons of surgeries on cryptorchid dogs. The only thing I don't like is that Kingston has to stay overnight. But maybe this is a good thing? Maybe they just want to monitor him???

She also said they don't require bloodwork, that it is totally up to the owner. I don't know what to do. Should Kingston have the bloodwork? He's been under anesthesia before and he came out of it fine. The lady also said he would be given antibiotics to take after the surgery but that pain medication probably wouldn't be necessary. She said most dogs feel just fine once they go home.

What do you guys think? I hope I'm doing the right thing.....

I would not bargain shop for surgery. I would wait until his other testicle descends and then get him fixed. Cavaliers are such a calm, sweet, submissive breed it wouldn't really matter if he was intact a bit longer.

You need to think about what is best, safest and healthiest for Kingston and then make your decision. You'll be fine. Waiting on neutering is not a big deal.

Kosmo had both testicles, but to up our costs he had a hernia.. His neutering bill came to 426$$ after taxes.. :yikes :yikes I remember it so well as I almost fell over dead. It's like $100 to neuter our animals back in WA state (vets come to barns and do cats for farmers with farm cats for FREE simply to keep the animal population down) and here I paid almost 4 1/2 to get Kosmo done!! :yikes

If I could have gotten it cheaper, believe me, I would have! I think vets have been doing this long enough and often enough that if your vet is reputable and you know that vet well then it's fine.. ;) About the pre op blood work - I am sure the second place would do you cheaper for that as well. And is it a requirement that they keep him over night or if you ask can they bend for you? My little JRT was supposed to stay overnight but she woke up and had a hissy fit and was evicted from the vet.. :yikes I would have done pre op bloodwork anyways because now I at leats know that Kosmo has correct levels (except for his "large platelets..")

Good luck! :flwr:

How old is Kingston. ????

Take that back, I saw on a previous post he is about the same age as Darby where his hormones have most likely kicked in with a venegeance.

I had full intentions of also waiting to have Darby done, but decided to go forth this Friday.

I truly believe that most people on the board get their cavaliers neutered before the age of one. I know that it is better to wait, but sometimes that is not always convienient for everyone.

I remember when Dudley was neutered it was only $110.00 my Vet is amazing and she is also in what we would consider the country.

Although her prices have increased for neutering, she is still more reasonable than other Vets in my area. I would check to make sure that they are going to be there overnight with him, I had found a Vet close to my home but they wanted to keep Darby overnight and nobody was going to be in the office. This did not make much sense to me, I would rather have him home with me at least I can watch him.

I think so long as there is no comprimise on care it should not matter. Ask lots of questions about it to both vets ? Or be blunt and ask your local vet why it is that cost compared to the other, you will probably be able to tell from their response whether it is just profit stuff or whether better quality procedure/drugs used etc.
I personally would definately want the pain meds on hand though even if I did not need them.

I think there's actually EVERY reason to bargain shop for neuters :) (rescues regularly do!) because as long as the vet is competent there can be a huge variation in cost. Urban vets almost always charge far more -- some reasons why are totally understandable, in that their overheads are much higher, and often they will have a better investment in more up to date equipment and also will be more likely to require their vets to do relevant continuing education and be up on the latest techniques. All of this adds costs.

On the other hand in many cases there is really very little difference EXCEPT price. IMHO urban practices do charge a lot more because they have a clientelle willing to pay and if everyone is charging more, it raises prices overall. Country vets are not dealing with quite so upmarket a sector as city dwellers and hence the local economies mean they simply cannot charge city prices.

Neutering is pretty basic even for a cryptorchid -- this is not an uncommon condition and most vets will have done this surgery many, many times. So you really need to weigh up your personal knowledge of the two practices and their capabilities and facilities, and the risk you are willing to take on not doing bloods. Having bloodwork done is an extra precaution and many vets will do this with each general anaesthesia -- it is what is always done to people before a surgery because bloods change and there can be something that would cause a reaction. There's always a small risk of complications including death under anaesthesia and bloodwork eliminates a significant amount of this risk. For the vast majority of dogs it won't matter but if yours is one of the ones that has a tragic result then $50 or $60 will seem a small price to have paid to have him back.

On a personal note my vets don't do bloods unless they feel there is an element of risk to the particular animal or a client asks. But do keep in mind this approa h is more based on people not being willing to pay extras for an animal if risk is generally low; whereas they would not question doing such tests for a child. So it is all your own perspective and willingness to balance risk against cost.

About cryptorchids: If a testicle has not descended at this point it is unlikely to descend and is a significant health risk, though some people will wait til about age one to see if it descends. They rarely do according to breeders and vets. Dogs with an undescended testicle are more prone to cancers. It is hard for vets to name a specific price as they don;t know til they get in there, where the other testicle is -- this can take some work to find as it can be well up in the abdomen. This can turn a minor neuter surgery into abdominal surgery hence the higher cost.

All that said many people happily pay more to be with a vet that knows their dog, is convenient to where they live (don't forget to add in time and fuel costs to drive hours away for a neuter), and whom they trust. Many elements go into considering what is 'good value' to you.

Whether the dog stays overnight is not a big deal -- some vets routinely keep them in, others do not. Most vets in my experience do not give pain meds for neuters or spays. None of mine, cats or dogs, have ever had pain meds. They have a good dose before they are sent home and that sorts them for the relevant time it might matter.

I know for a fact... country vets charge less and dont make as much as city vets!!

Our fil is a country vet and a neuter only cost $60-$100 depending on all the stuff you mentioned. A spay is only $80-$100. My fil will even do a housecall neuter so the dog isnt put through the stress of a vet office.

Our friend who is a city vet is charging $350 for a neuter and $400 for a spay!! :yikes

Our friend makes way more than dear fil... (neither are bad off)

Needless to say we go to our fil for all major surgeries and such... thank goodness!! I feel very blessed to have not one but two vets in the family and a teaching vet hospital about 4 min down the road! Without these two... I dont know what I'd do... actually yes, I do, icon_whistling :roll: I would be spending an arm and a leg to keep my little one healthy!! When it comes to health... I want a healthy pup!! I don't play with fire! ;)

When Tucker was neutered, he too had a hernia, total cost $321.12. Includes microchip insertion and the anesthetic blood workup that was optional.

Preanesthetic Blood Screen - WNL.........47.94
Avid ID Microchip Insertion - ..................51.58
Act Part Thromboplastin Time add on ....18.30 (no idea?)
Buprenex ampules pain control ..............21.39
Deramaxx (deracoxib) 25 mg .................13.49
Canine Neuter & Hernia Repair ..............168.42

TOTAL ...................................................321.12

Tucker spent the night. I talked to one other vet and the price was in the same range. I live 30 miles from Boston. I think at least in part, big city vets charge more because they may pay higher taxes/rent/etc. to do business in this area.

I just had Jolly neutered today and the total bill was $146.38. This broke down to:

Castration & drugs during the procedure $113.13
Avid Micro chipping $33.25

They said that Jolly did not need any further medication and doesn't need to come back unless I see that he has an infection or isn't feeling well. They did a small incission that only needed one stitch and then sealed with glue. He doesn't have to wear the Elizabethan collar.

OMG, for some reason I feel like bursting into tears. I'm not trying to bargain shop for surgery! Anyone who has read my ten zillion posts on Cavalier Talk should know I want whatever's best for Kingston. That being said, I'm not rich and I have to do the best I can within my own limits. If anyone recalls, Kingston required eye surgery in October, costing me $1,700 dollars.

Everything is more expensive where I live. A routine fecal exam costs $35, whereas the vets in my hometown charge $7 - $10. I'm sorry if I sound defensive and I thank everyone for taking the time to respond to me. I just get incredibly paranoid when it comes to my dog.

!

Oh Honey,

Please don't take that personally I think that might have just been a poor choice of words.. I don't think you're trying to bargain shop at all .. I've been in your situation before and I know how it feels.. *HUGZ*

Here's Kosmo's break down (this is why I need a new vet.)

Pre op blood work:

"blood collection" 25.20
Pre-anesthetic blood work - 43.00

Total payment for that 68.20 (before taxes 72.97 after)

So that wasn't even included in neutering and then this is my neuter breakdown:

Fluids during surgery : 64.10

Microchip : 57.80 (which I got the charge reversed because they screwed up)

Umbilical hernia repair : 110.90

Pre-anesthetic exam: 25.50

1 Injection of IM (whatever this is) 1st was 12.60

second injection of it was 5.70

Surgical fee for 10 minutes is 73.00 (wouldnt i love that job)

1 "anesthetic maintainance" for 10 minutes 18.50

1 anesthetic induction fee was 61.30

"hospital ward and professional care" was 34.50

So I have all of this that adds up to 406.10 before taxes 434.53 after

he was 8.4lbs @ 5 months. . .

:yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

I still am paying for this! :yikes

You do what's best or you and your baby. Sometimes, we have to do what's best for our circumstance, and only you know what that is. Please don't be upset. You are not bargain shopping. The country Vet is a good Vet and has done 100's of these surgeries. You are making a good decision for you and your baby. :flwr:

KingstonsMom said:
OMG, for some reason I feel like bursting into tears. I'm not trying to bargain shop for surgery! Anyone who has read my ten zillion posts on Cavalier Talk should know I want whatever's best for Kingston. That being said, I'm not rich and I have to do the best I can within my own limits. If anyone recalls, Kingston required eye surgery in October, costing me $1,700 dollars.

Everything is more expensive where I live. A routine fecal exam costs $35, whereas the vets in my hometown charge $7 - $10. I'm sorry if I sound defensive and I thank everyone for taking the time to respond to me. I just get incredibly paranoid when it comes to my dog.

!

Don't worry honey, I have a country Vet and I absolutlely adore her.
I drive over an hour each way, just because she has a beautiful bedside manner and good prices. I keep saying I am going to find another Vet and 2 1/2 years later I am still going to my Country Vet whom I love.
They even have Emergency after hour services, how many of these fancy Vets have that service bet you not to many, I know where I live they tell you to go to the nearest Animal Hospital, my Vet will meet you at the office. :D :D :D
You are not bargain shopping, I certainly did not take your post that way. Like Sara said poor choice of words used.

I wish the heck I could get Darby's neutering done for that price, I would be right behind you.

Cheer up love a big :hug: for you, not everyone can afford the best, I certainly can't.

I have 3 monster teenagers who are constantly eating. :yikes :yikes :yikes

Sweetie, we all know you want whats best for your dog...I do too!
Im not bargian shopping either, but check this estimate out on my Hogan for a neuter Cryptorchid and a small hernia repair.,....

Needless to say Ill be finding another vet to do this proceedure:

ECG Biolog Preanestic: $ 25.00
Profile 1 Preanesthetic $74.50
Hydromorphone Inj $ 16.50
Abdominal Cryptorchid Neuter $245.00
Surgical Use #1 $60.00
Induction/ Inhalation $79.00
Surgical Pack $29.50
Surgical Suite Fee $23.50
Surgical Suture Pack $33.00
Occupancy Fee $21.00
Rimadyl Injectable 50MG $24.00
Rimadyl Chews 25 MG ONLY ONE $ 13.00
Discount Pet Control Credit - 69.00
Buster Collar $ 9.75
Hernia Repair $70.00

This was the LOW TOTAL of $ 654.00

If they run into any trouble the total will be $880.00
and thats even ten minutes longer in the room..........Sigh, Love the vet, really dont love their prices.

Edited to add: They didnt charge me to weigh him........lol

Thank God for you maxwell and me I thought I was the only one that got screwed!! :lol:

And I thought I had it bad! :yikes

You guys are too sweet. Thanks for the support! I'm confident in my decision now. I remember when my mother's black labrador retriever was shot in the middle of the night, she called the vet at home and he told her to immediately bring the dog to his HOUSE. I guess country living has its advantages....

When I took Cody and Wesley it equalled out to $164 each. I thought that was high!!! When I got Stewie done it was $75!! However I would never have taken him to that doctor if I had known what kind of shape he would have come out in... :yikes

the poor little guy!! Sad to say but I was a college kid who didn't have a lot of money so I bargain shopped. His stiches were horrible and were not the dissolving kind...he ended up getting a terrible infection and his healing time was longer than any of us expected. The stitches were so badly done that he pulled them out the next day!!! The incision was HUGE and Stewie is a tiny little guy. I am so thankful that everything "down there" still works properly!!

Wesley and Cody's surgery cost more because they used excellent dissolving stiches, gave them a shot of antibiotics (which cut the healing time in half!!) and also gave them an extra shot of pain reliver to get them through the night. What a difference.

After all that, I would just recomend going with your gut instinct and going where you think your baby is gonna get the best treatment possible. :flwr:

KingstonsMom said:
OMG, for some reason I feel like bursting into tears. I'm not trying to bargain shop for surgery! Anyone who has read my ten zillion posts on Cavalier Talk should know I want whatever's best for Kingston. That being said, I'm not rich and I have to do the best I can within my own limits.

I really understand what your saying. I have often through necessity had to look at costs and then weigh alternatives. With have to live within our means and sometimes juggling funds is hard. You make the best choice within your ability.

When our lab hit the point of being too uncomfortable and I found it hard to see her in pain I had to make that call. I took her to the vet to see my options to help her be more comfortable and stay with us a bit longer. There was a new drug out but it required blood work first to see if she was compatible. It was going to be a $1500 work up with no guarantee she could take it or if she could if it would help. At 15 yrs old, it was too much money for us weighing it against the little time it would give her considering she was 15. So I opted not too and it broke my heart to do it. Then the vet said she opted not to with her own dog who was 13 recently too for the same reason.

On the flip side, when we did put her down, I didnt care about the extra cost to have her cremated so we could bury her in our backyard. My mother is still "chomping in my ear" about that cost and I sweetly say every time, "Mom it's really not a concern of yours to worry about" ARG!

YOUR A GREAT MOM and your concern and thought into this shows it!

His stiches were horrible and were not the dissolving kind...he ended up getting a terrible infection and his healing time was longer than any of us expected.

Are the regular stiches not recommended? I don't think this vet uses the dissolving kind. Maybe I'll call and find out why?

I didnt care about the extra cost to have her cremated so we could bury her in our backyard. My mother is still "chomping in my ear" about that cost and I sweetly say every time, "Mom it's really not a concern of yours to worry about" ARG!

Sometimes moms just don't understand. ;) My mother told me I should stop making myself a nervous wreck about this neutering business. I told her, "Wouldn't you be a nervous wreck if I was going to the hospital?!!" She quit complaining.

:lol:

Back