• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is it okay for my puppy to drink milk?

PamH

Maddy wanted to drink the left over milk in the cereal bowl this morning. Is it okay to give it to her? She is 13 weeks.
Pam

I've heard goats milk is ok but I don't really know. I wouldn't give it because of all the sugar in the cereal that might have desolved into the milk, but then I'm a fuss pot! :D

when i got freddie the breeder told me NOT to give him milk as it is not good for him.

Pauline i have heard so people saying that about goats milk!

I've always let mine have a small amount of cow's milk, as puppies. With Joly, the breeder said to get goat's milk, which I did once , as it was very expensive, wasteful and no one else wanted to drink it. The vet said cows milk would be ok and the breeder changed her mind bout goat's milk when I had the next puppy, Teddy.

The majority of puppies and dogs (like kittens and cats!) apparently cannot digest the main enzyme in milk. Hence it often gives them diarrhea and can be a risk for puppies or kittens as diarrhea dehydrates them. Many breeders do start puppies on a bit of milk though while weaning.

A small amount could be tried but goat's milk is better if you want to give a little milk (or with cats, especially formalted cat mils which Whiskas sells, for example).

I gave Jaspar a lot of milk one time when I was concerned he might have ingested something he shouldn't have and giving milk was recommended. I gave only about 1/2 a cup and the 'end result' (literally!) -- was not a pretty sight! :yuk:

Basically there's no reason to give a dog milk. Just put less on the cereal to begin with and you won't have any left over! :lol:

Karlin you made me laugh with the last comment - not slurp for puppy if I had milk left.... our vets said no milk only water.

There's a reason cow's milk is not good for either humans or dogs (many people are actually lactose intolerant and don't realise it). Cows milk is intended for an animal that has four stomachs. Apart from having four legs a dog isn't all that similar to a cow :D Goats milk is preferable because goats have one stomach like us and therefore it's easier to digest. But if you ask me, once the dog has been weaned he doesn't need milk any more than he needs chocolate.

we have been giving lady puppy milk which had goats milk in it and she really likes it we don't give it to her that often though. But she will eat most things we put in front of her she eats like a horse.

Thanks for the replies. I passed them along to hubby who is the main culprit. He used to give our little yorkie milk that was left in his cereal bowl. Winston drank it for 14 years and loved it. Bad habits die hard I suppose. Anyway, I told him not to do that with our little Maddy.
Pam

cecily said:
There's a reason cow's milk is not good for either humans or dogs (many people are actually lactose intolerant and don't realise it). Cows milk is intended for an animal that has four stomachs. Apart from having four legs a dog isn't all that similar to a cow :D Goats milk is preferable because goats have one stomach like us and therefore it's easier to digest. But if you ask me, once the dog has been weaned he doesn't need milk any more than he needs chocolate.

Actually: http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/4H/meatgoats/meatgoatfs14.htm

The goat’s stomach has four chambers: 1) the rumen, 2) the honey-combed reticulum, 3) the omasum, and 4) the abomasum or true stomach.

This is how they breakdown grasses etc... and get all the protein they need.

All people are lactose intolerant (just try to drink a gallon of milk in an hour-- well don't)it is all a matter of how much lactase your own body makes to your "intolerance". Sandy

The goat article is really interesting. :)
Our breeder told us not to feed our pups milk, but a little cottage cheese, yogurt or cheese has been ok for them.

Back