View Full Version : UPDATED My name is Tandie, and I'm a chocoholic

14th December 2006, 07:36 PM
We've finally found the one thing Tandie will relentlessly and tirelessly hunt with more fervour than that which she has for cats.... CHOCOLATE :badgrin:

It's only with the christmas season coming that we've noticed it. She goes absolutely looney when we open a tin of biscuits or whatever. She's normally so placid that it's like watching Jeckll and Hyde. icon_devil :fool:

She followed me out to the kitchen last night and when I went back to the living room she didn't follow immediately. The next moment we heard a crash and went running in. Tandie had gotten the CLOSED biscuit tin to fall off the table and was in doggie heaven surrounded by a variety of Marks and Spencers belgian chocolate biscuit collection. :yikes :yikes :yikes She might have made it to the real doggie heaven if we didn't get them off her quick (but we did and no ill effects that we can see :lol: )

On a related note there was someone on the radio this morning reminding people not to leave chocolate liquers around the tree...

14th December 2006, 07:40 PM

Why is they always want what they can't have?

matties mum
14th December 2006, 07:43 PM
My first cavalier Mattie at chirstmas went under the tree for the CHOCOLATE and was very busy taking the paper of we came back in to find him just before he eat any ----Aileen

Cathy T
14th December 2006, 09:05 PM
:D :D Tandie sure is keeping you busy isn't she?!

14th December 2006, 09:13 PM
Oh, My! Sounds like Tandy is a typical Ruby. Bet it's going to be extra fun in your house when the new puppy comes home! :drivecar:

14th December 2006, 09:47 PM
Oh ! we must keep an eye on them at every moment of the day ! Ulysse is so greedy that he rushes on every thing he finds !

brid kenny
14th December 2006, 09:54 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

14th December 2006, 11:16 PM
Friends in the UK..Is it a tradition to put chocolate under the Christmas tree? Do tell!!!

14th December 2006, 11:23 PM
Bentley is always trying to steal my food from me, the little rascal! I admit that I do give him a few small pieces of crust from time to time...
That sure is a cute photo of Tandie on your avatar!

Joanne M
14th December 2006, 11:43 PM
On a more serious note. What do you do if your dog gets into chocolate? I've heard it's dangerous and even potentially fatal. What do you do, rush out to the vet and the dog gets it's stomach pumped? Is there some antidote? Just wondering. My cousin told me her shitzu (forgive my spelling) got into chocolate and she had no idea it was that harmful and the dog got a bad case of loose bowels. She didn't mention seeking medical attention.

14th December 2006, 11:58 PM
So this lady has expensive tastes... as if belgian chocolate biscuits wasn't enough today she managed to get her hands on a ten euro note and started chewing it. :yikes
We got it back off her but there's two pieces missing out of it. :roll: The numbers are intact so we should be able to get it back from the bank. We're thinking maybe she wanted to go out and buy her own biscuits....


14th December 2006, 11:59 PM
I have unfortunately experienced this twice, and was advised by the emergency vet to give a salt tablet and try and make the dog sick then monitor very closely or take straight down to the vet.

15th December 2006, 12:14 AM
My little Maddy has not yet experienced chocolate, but did practically attack me when I was licking a chocolate fudgsicle.
She is only 13 weeks old. I think it must be in their genes. Like it is in mine!
My little yorkie who died in June after 14 years of being our little boy did have quite the experience with chocolate.
I am originally from Cheshire, England. My parents always sent me and the grandkids chocolate easter eggs. Well, my daughter took hers to her bedroom. An hour later we heard her scream. We ran upstairs!
She said "Winston ate my egg!" and there was the foil all over the bed and no chocolate to be seen. This was a full size chocolate egg with little chocolates inside! Funnily enough there were no side effects. Not even his poop suffered.

15th December 2006, 12:15 AM
A salt tablet for chocolate or for euro notes? :lol: Yes chocolate can make them very ill but generally only dark or especially baking chocolate is a real worry. :thmbsup:

Cecily Jaspar shredded apart my garda ID card I have as a resident... theoretically I am supposed to carry it on my person at all times and now it is in several small pieces. :roll:

15th December 2006, 12:23 AM
Technically Karlin you can still carry it on your person :lol: :rotfl:
I can totally see Jasper doing that. :badgrin:

15th December 2006, 01:03 AM
*snicker* Oh I'd pay to see that.

"Uh, I'm very sorry. Gimme a minute... Ah. Here's one bit of my ID card... and another... and another. Er, the dog ate it."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have come to the conclusion that rubies are evil dogs who think they are cats. Well, mine is... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Both of mine adore chocolate, and as I'm currently munching my way through a massive bar of Green&Black's Maya Gold, I am being very, very careful.

15th December 2006, 01:07 AM
Ahh, Tandie really is keeping you on your toes! :lol: And my goodness does she have style, Belgian chocolates and 10 pound notes... you better get a crown for this little one. I do believe she is poised to become the next princess of your home. :D
Hmmm, wonder what Princess Tandie will think of the new pup? icon_nwunsure And what she might teach to the little newcomer. :shock:

15th December 2006, 01:26 AM
Laura I dread to think what new tricks they'll teach each other!!!
But I suppose that's half the fun :lol:

As for the crown, I decided you were right on that one.

15th December 2006, 01:48 AM
Cecily, that is priceless, i LOVE it! :rotfl:

15th December 2006, 12:12 PM
In England we normally hang chocolate on the tree - not that it would last long with me..... ;) Chocolate is now kepted in the fridge out of reach of dogs.

15th December 2006, 12:28 PM
Maxx is the chocoholic in this house. When he was a tiny puppy (not that he was ever really tiny!!!!), he went into my eldest's bedroom. Jumped on the bed and then managed to pull a hole into the wrapper of one of those enormous blocks of Cadbury's dairy Milk (about 18"x10"). He then licked a huge hole into the middle of it and went to sleep on top of it, covered in chocolate :yikes

When we found him - I thought he was sleeping in the dining room...., we rushed him straight to the Vets, where he stayed for the next 24 hours - he's still here 7 years later :flwr: You'd think this would have been enough to have put him off chocolate for life wouldn't you? No such luck :roll:

Karlin, can you not get a replacement card? I can just imagine the Garda having to piece yours together :lol:

15th December 2006, 01:00 PM
Claire....Thanks for answering my question. What a delightful custom. That would never work in my house. The chocolate would be gone before it ever made it on the tree :lol: