• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

peanut nylabones...

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone else fed these chews? I got a few for the dogs last time I was out in the US and the peanut flavour ones just fired right through them and gave Leo and Lily terrible runs for a day or two.

Lily is bad anyway with the various hard chews, nylabone or booda bones -- they all seem to go right through her and the end result is not pleasant. :grnyuk: Hence she gets to stick with the thick flat rawhide chews as she can't tear chunks off them and they keep her really busy and don't arrive later in scary forms. A bit frustrating as she is a hard chewer and I'd like to keep her biusy. Back to pizzle sticks as the chew of choice, I guess!

Are the pizzle sticks strong? I saw some in the pet shop the other week (they were about 60 cm long, is that right?!!) and I considered buying them but didn't know how strong they were... I tend to give mainly the flat rawhide chews as well (you can get the spearmint flavoured, but my pair didn't appreciate).. but I'd like to vary that a litte, but nearly everything seems to be either rawhide based OR the crumbly coloured sawdust stuff. I used to give them to Holly, but after she was sick/had the runs from them a few times I stopped.

Of all of the things....my guys can actually eat these without any problems. In fact, picked some up today for their stocking.

After a few scares with Monty who will swallow a piece of chew about 2" long (hence those expensive dental chews are useless), I give minty (they will only take mint if there's a choice) munchy sticks and the 10" hide cigars. Because of the shape dogs are less likely to break off large floppy bits (the dangerous ones) and just nibble smalll pieces as they go.

Yeah I like those long hide cigars for the same reason. There's a good brand of flat rectangular rawhide that works for mine too.

Lisa. pizzle sticks are generally considered better and more digestible than rawhide and less likely to risk an impaction. They last a good long while (cue ribald jokes) except with Lily who will gnaw thru them at speed.

Jaspar and Leo take a nice long time with the dental chews and the new greenies are actually quite chewy and soft, so they are fine with those -- Lily ganws off chunks though. I have two boxes of Greenies in the US that I forgot to bring back last time! :roll:

Karlin said:
Lisa. pizzle sticks are generally considered better and more digestible than rawhide and less likely to risk an impaction. They last a good long while (cue ribald jokes) except with Lily who will gnaw thru them at speed.

:lol: :lol: I'll uh, BUY some next time I'm in. I nearly said 'give them a go' but thought that might qualify as the aforesaid 'ribald joke'! :lol: :lol: :lol: I've seen those cigars and considered getting them- they're the more or less solid ones that aren't simply rawhide rolls?

i stay away from peanut stuff because of aflatoxin, a carcinogen. It's probably not a problem, but a friend's husband who ate a lot of peanuts died of liver cancer and it spooked me.

i think that Sams Yams make zack's stool softer and mushier, though not loose, but normally they are very firm. i'm not sure, i haven't been observant enough but i think zack's stools are mushier when he has rawhides too. But i think that he is not effected in that way by Pegetables.

Barbara, you might have Monty try compressed hooves. At the pet store they told me that it breaks off in small pieces. I got some and it was so, it kind of crumbles, but it was hard and lasted a while. your mileage may vary. everything lasts a long time for zack, with few exceptions.

Well they are rolls but very tightly rolled. Not the loose rawhide bones; those freak me a bit as the knobby ends always end up left and I worry they'd gulp those.

Lidl does pizzle sticks quite cheaply in their packets of treats. Also dried tripe which is the favourite treat around here.

Mine like calves' hooves as well but haven't seen them sold in Ireland and have never seen the compressed ones. They gnaw rather than bite hard in the way that might crack a tooth. They are kind of disgusting though (not as bas as pig snouts though! :yuk: ). They last forever.

Karlin!!!!! I would never have thought of any rude jokes until you put the thought in my mind :shock: . Now they are coming in thick and fast :lol:

Yep, my two have pizzle sticks once a week as a good treat and also help keep their teeth clean. I find they also make good presents for my hubbies mates dogs..... you should see the looks on the blokes faces when I tell them what their dog has just eaten :badgrin:

If anyone has a 'Wilsons' pet store near them, they sell packs of 5 thick pizzles for £1.99 :flwr:

Back