• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy likes to race cars !

mishmosh

My 14 week old pup is a really good walker, apart from one thing - he tries to run and race each car on the pavement as it goes past ! He nearly strangles himself!

Any idea on what to do? Why is he doing this?

Sounds like he wants to play! And the car doesn't help by 'running away' so naturally he has to go 'chase' it. Not a very safe hobby for a dog.. :D

mishmosh

My 7 month old does the same thing.When i feel like he is going to do it i try to take his att. away.If he catches me out because i day dream i just fimly say no.My husband reckons its a puppy thing, i am not so sure.

Wesley did this for quite some time and I was so worried everytime we took him for a walk. To stop this, I brought along his training cookies and instructed him to "SIT" every time a car went by. I would then give him a cookie. He caught on quickly and began to do it on his own. It's not so great if you are jogging, but it is an excellent habit for them to learn, just in case....

molly does it and she is 3 now ,i hate takeing her near the road as she will see a car come and will get ready to chase it so i have to pull her right back on her lead and say no she does go mad at them and will bark her head off ,charlie is fine with them so i dont know why molly has always done it ..........

wesley did it as well

Never thought to take treats out on walks to stop the car thing, ex. idea. Will tell hubby.

Back