PDA

View Full Version : Cookie my newest rescue

kyla_QLD_cavalier_rescue
18th December 2006, 10:27 AM
Well, I went to collect my newest rescue cav today, approx 13 yr old BT Bitch with grade 5 murmur and missing an eye.

She was found tied up on the side of a 6 lane HWY on last Thursday evening and rushed to an emergency vet, who eventually found my details as cav rescue and notified me.

She is very traumatised and nervy, but given what she has gone through, has settled in SOOOOOO well. She shook and wet herself all the way home to my house, and refused to come out of her crate for the first 24 hours. However since then she has got a little better and a little better and then, today, she let one of my cavs into her crate with her and they snuggled for 20 minutes or so.

Tonight she came out for quite a while, and had some dinner and a little wander around the house. Im so lucky my furkids are so used to the delicate rescue kids, they just know not to bark, not to make sudden movement, not to jump on them, not to try and play with them too soon and to give them space. They have been utterly fantastic with her!!

Due to her age and her condition, and as with all cavs similare to her, she will not be rehomed, she will live and die her with me.

She really is such a dear little girl though and it is my new mission to make the rest of her life, no matter how short, the best part of her life yet.

Bless her

Kyla

lily
18th December 2006, 10:46 AM
Ah what a sad life that little girl appears to have had... you'll be fine now with kyla darling .... how cruel the world seems some times....

Mary
18th December 2006, 11:22 AM
Such a sad sad story. Seems to be so many of them. Thank you for giving her a happy ending to her story!!!!!

kyla_QLD_cavalier_rescue
18th December 2006, 11:32 AM
Well, Cookie just had her first bath in god only knows how long!!!

Her coat is so big and thick that its completely matted to the skin in parts. The hair around her bottom etc was filled with dried fecal matter and actually notted over her anus completely. No wonder she is so thin, she cant eat because she cant poo!

I was scared how she would go in the bath, very scary but then I thought surely its better then how she is now.

I put her in the bath (and I got in to, so dedicated lol) and gently cut her hair away, and gave her lots of massage and even more oatmeal shampoo. She coped very well, and I think, towards the end may have even started to enjoy it a little.

I have towel dried her, and popped a drying coat on her and now she is laying in her crate, door opened watching Gabby and Mia wrestle. She really has calmed down alot, and is starting to lay half in half out of the crate, and deffinately responds to the other kids.

Tommorrow Ill work on getting some photos. Mind you, Im always hesitant to show ppl photos of these dogs as not everyone is prepared for what they see, and I know, many find it very emotional.

Kyla

Vickie
18th December 2006, 12:52 PM
Oh Kyla what how lovely to hear what a wonderful job you are doing.

How anyone can leave any dog, let alone a cavalier to be in that sort of state still leaves me speachless :cry*ing:

I for one would love to see a few photos when you get the chance :flwr:

arasara
18th December 2006, 01:15 PM
oh Kyla big *HUGZ* to you for taking this little girl on. How awful that somebody would leave a dog in that state. :( Let us know how she gets on and of course we all want to see pictures!! Give her a big hug and kiss from me and Kosmo please - what a sad story. :( I hope the people who left her like this believe in karma.

Maxxs_Mummy
18th December 2006, 01:26 PM
Big gentle hugs and kisses to this darling little girl from me and my two. Kyla, I hope she goes from strength to strength with you & that her tormentors suffer hell on earth :x

Pics as soon as you feel able please. I sometimes think that most of us take our own little darlings for granted but when you see a case like this, it really hits home.

I remember bringing home a foster in a disgusting condition on my hubbies birthday one year (she had more matted faeces and urine than she did fur) - all celebrations were cancelled and tears were shed for her instead. She went on to become one of the most beautiful babies I have ever known. I hope this little angel is the same.

Thank you for giving her the chance to know love and care :hug:

GudrunTheRed
18th December 2006, 04:32 PM
Kyla, you truly are an angel and I send you and your lovely older lady (and all your other Cavvie babies) lots of hugs and kisses!

FYI, Chester doesn't mind baths but I get in with him too because it's easier on my back! I wash him and then I take my own shower after and it works out great!

Best of luck and please keep up all updated and post some pics if you like.

-Monica & Chester

Cathy T
18th December 2006, 05:12 PM
Pics as soon as you feel able please. I sometimes think that most of us take our own little darlings for granted but when you see a case like this, it really hits home.

So true.

Big huge gigantic hugs to you Kyla for taking these dear old lady into your home and showing her how life should be. Bless you ten times over!! I just can't imagine what that poor dear's life was like. Thank goodness she has someone who will now show her kindness and compassion. You are her angel.

As far as pictures....I think it's important for people to see what other people can do to dogs. Like anything else...we can be blissfully unaware of things until they are put in our face. Then we have to acknowlege them. I know that a posting of HUA's dogs a while back prompted a lot of people to open their hearts and purse strings to help. It's definitely not something that needs to be kept hidden.

Charleen
18th December 2006, 06:01 PM
What a sad life she has led. Bless you and her.

molly
20th December 2006, 12:40 AM
Hugs to you for giving this sweetie the loving home she deserves in her retirement years.

Om's Mom
21st December 2006, 02:49 AM
Kyla hugs to you:hug: :hug: and your family for taking this sweetheart into her happy home. I love reading about her progress, the other kids' kindness toward her, your care of her. I hope you will continue telling us all about her. It is a heartwarming Christmas doggy story. :flwr:

Alison_Leighfield
21st December 2006, 09:16 PM
Kyla, :flwr:

Reading your posting tonight brought back many memories of when I brought home a little Cavalier that sounded just like yours....she was also in the worst possible state, my Annie-Belle, a puppy farm rescue.

I didn't have her very long due to her health (SM) but how I adored that little girl. Her gift to me on reflection was that she taught me so much more about life and especially about the joys of unconditional love.
Annie found in me something that I didn't know that I had ...which was all the time, patience, understanding and love within me to give to many little dogs.

Thank you so very much for taking this little one into your heart and home, I'm she will capture you in time with her very own unique special ways .... she was brought and guided to you by angels knowing that you would love and care for her for all her life. :flwr:

You have such wonderful, rewarding times to look forward to....just love and enjoy her.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Joanne M
21st December 2006, 11:16 PM
Kyla you truly are an angel. God bless you for your capacity to give, your kindness and compassion. May you and your family enjoy this holiday season.

Please post a photo when you can.

matties mum
22nd December 2006, 08:36 AM
So pleased that she find her way to you big :hug: HUGS to you and your Cavaliers babys ----Aileen

Mic
27th December 2006, 06:06 AM
I'm just returning from vacation and trying to catch up around here. LORD HAVE MERCY!!! What a sad state for such an elderly dog to have gone through. Who could do that do another living being??? Bless you for showing her true, unselfish love...probably for the first time in her life.