• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Emily got spayed

Mycavyangels

Today and she now home!! she is curled up on my lap fast asleep!! poor girl

do cavaliers tend to put on weight after they get spayed?

Some people say they do, but I have 2 spayed females who are not overweight. I am very careful to not overfeed them, meaning they get 1/3 cup of kibble twice a day, plus a small amount of healthy snacks in the form of frozen green beans, carrots, low fat cheese bits, or healthy dog treats. They also have a large fenced area (almost 1/2 acre) to run and play in, and I also take them for short walks.

To find the right amount to feed her, just watch her waistline. If she looks like she's gaining weight just feed her a little less. And I know she gets plenty of exercise because of all the wonderful parks you take her to!

I hope she feels better soon! :flwr:

Awww... I hope she feels alright and everything!!

As for the weight gain... I was told by a vet that it tends to be more of an urban legend.... you just have to make sure she is on the appropriate diet! :flwr:

Alfie was cast.today.hes home but crying and yelping alot .its very upsetting.Is she crying and yelping.?

Alfie

Just let him out to see if ok.I went in to see him and he will not get off me so mark said to get up slowly we are now in the lounge and he is under the chair thats his little safe house,hasnt cried yet but its only been 10 mins .Yes just started to cry so we have put him back on his bed.

i hope they are both doing much better. the sleeping is normal, from the anaesthesia. i had two females spayed and it was uneventful. my cat was spayed and she wanted to be quiet and sleep. she also wanted to be in my lap and to knead, whereas usually she isn't a lap cat. None of them gained weight after spaying.

i would be worried about alfie's crying, but i hope by now that is passed and he's ok. zack never had any sign of pain after surgery, he slept off the anaesthesia for a long time, he didn't seem very happy with that altered state, he looked depressed. after that, he didn't show pain, but pain was really important to his vet, she made a big deal out of it, she gave him an extra pain shot and gave him pain pills (tramadol) to take around the clock at home for the next 5 days. I only gave him one pain pill the following night, just in case he hurt in the night, but he never showed any sign of pain. The vet wanted him to be comfortable and not disturbing the stitches. but he did not need the pain pills. Some dogs will. It depends on the dog and the surgery. Each time is different. I guess that's why my vet wanted to be prepared for it. pain meds are constipating though and i didn't want to give them if they weren't needed. I had enough poop issues with zack early on to last a lifetime.

Zack was neutered at 7 months and did not gain an ounce until he was a year old when he gained about a pound, but it wasn't from the neutering. It might be normal growth, he was only 14 pounds before, but i think it was mainly because i stopped exercising him and stimulating him as much so he slept more. He's 16 pounds now at 14 months and he is not going to gain any more weight because i won't feed him enough for him to gain more at this point, but he's not fat. You can easily feel his ribs and spine. but he's not thin either. he eats between a cup and a cup and a half a day. anyway, i'm working on the exercise thing too--it's so important.

to mycavangels

God alfie was bad,so much crying,he is a very babyish type dog,his pain tresh.doesnt seem high and i am sure he had a hard time in the litter,when he was born.My hubby sas he thinks that i am his mum.all he wanted to do was cry on my lap.Anyway the vet gave me pain killers and he is fine now.The vet told us to leave him in a quiet area which i think made himm worse because he is with me nearly 24/7.Any way alls well but that was a very hard time.

Back