• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What makes good pet insurance?

mark70

Starting to look at pet insurance for Fudge.

What makes good pet insurance?

Some of the cheaper ones limit claims to a 12 month period of diagnosis - not good.

Some limit claims to a maximum amount per illness - the ones I am looking at have a limit of around £6,000 would this be sufficient?

What else do I need to look out for?

Cover for hereditary conditions- otherwise you could find yourself in trouble should your dog ever be diagnosed with either MVD or SM. Sadly, chances are you'll have to deal with at least one of these conditions during your time as a Cav owner, so it's as well to be prepared from the outset. I gather you're in the UK; many of us use Marks and Spencers which is very good- and very reasonable. I pay something in the region of £22 a month for two dogs- but I'm in Northern Ireland. I understand it can be more expensive in other areas- but for the pure peace of mind, check for lifelong cover, as much cover per year per condition as you can, and most importantly, hereditary conditions cover.

I do M&S for two and Pinnicle Insurance for the other two....look for the lifetime CONDITION cover...not just the 12 month type of cover, or policies giving just Lifetime cover....ask and double check for the lifetime CONDITION cover.

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

Back