• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal Glands

Fraggle

Sorry - not a pleasant sounding topic!!

I just wondered what the signs are that cavvies need their anal glands emptying as I know that this is a common problem.

MTIA

Nibbling or snapping at rear end. In Izzy's case, refusing to jump up on the bed and skulking under the table. Flinching if you touch the area (pressing gently with a piece of kitchen paper, may result in a small amount of gunge coming out).

When Monty's got infected , he had a blood smeared ooze.

Can Anal Gland milking be done by the owner or just the vet ?

Marlon has scooted all his life and hie has been milked twice by the vets when he has been in.
(he got runny stools after 9 weeks so I think its a habbit aswell)

Nothing is wrong with him though.

I always let the vet do it.

After a bout of diarrhea or soft poo is when the anal glands are most likely to fill up. Firm poo naturally empties the anal glands. That's why it is so important to feed our pups a diet that agrees with them.

if the anal glands get infected/blocked, he may cry when he poos. Also his anus changes colour.

Other than that, previous posts have covered everything! Your dog will 'scoot' and fuss with his bum. My previous dog was ALWAYS having his glands emptyng at the vet!!!

mishmosh, jeez I don't know what color his anus is now, what color is it supposed to be? But I too have wondered about Tucker's anal sacs, because he sometimes scoots

Glands

Spoke to the vet today,alfie had his done the vet said as well make sure good diet.Dry food is better as then the poo is firm,and that helps keep glands clean.Hope this info will help.

I do Izzy's myself ,as they are quite easy, but I couldn't do Joly's a few weeks back and he even cried when the vet did it. She said he wouldn't like it because she did it internally and he was a little dog for a big finger to enter.

I do Izzy's externally , by gently squeezing the area. Most people use a paper towel, but I prefer a bare hand, so I can feel the fluid come out. washing thoroughly, afterwards, isn't that much of a chore.

Back