• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Maddy the escape artist

PamH

Today my husband went to play golf and left Maddy in the x-pen.
He came home to his book torn up all over the living room and his shoes moved. But Maddy was still in the x-pen and the gating was still closed up to the edges of the crate.
He took her out to go potty, played with her a while and then put her in the x-pen with her dinner. We always feed her in there.
He sat down and all of a sudden there she was! The x-pen was still closed. Apparently she can open the gating and close it after her, and of course get back in. We are going to have to find some way to secure the gating to the crate Any ideas?
Pam

are you sure she is using the gate...Robbie can climb the sides of an x-pen and go over the top...any xpen I put him in unsupervised has to have a top to it.

debjen said:
are you sure she is using the gate...Robbie can climb the sides of an x-pen and go over the top...any xpen I put him in unsupervised has to have a top to it.

I hadn't thought of that. I will ask hubby to "hide" and watch.
But she is so tiny that I would have a hard time believing she could.
I did see a photo though of a cavalier climbing a tall fence and the dog was almost at the top!
Pam

Teddy's great grandfather Toraylac Joshua used to climb high fences, to get to his bitches. teddy doesn't climb, but he can jump to worktop height to thieve and his party trick getting out of his up-and -over-doored crate. He can also put himself in the crate if he feels grumpy , but finds the door closed.

I have some action photos somewhere, showing Izzy in the crate, so he can dine in peace and puppy Teddy opening the door, going in and helping himself. This would not be tolerated when he was older so Teddy is now crate fed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maddy is a smart little girl!

Cavaliers are so comical.....

Please ask your Husband to take a photo, while he's "hidiing"?! ;D

I spoke to hubby and he said that she did not climb, she just moved the "fence" that bordered her crate, came out and then moved it back!
We could put the crate totally in the fenced area and lock the fence together but that would give her a much smaller pen.
When I get home tomorrow I will have to check this out!
Pam

That is the funniest thing I have ever heard. You need to nickname her little Houdini :lol:

They can jump...I promise.

288175840_a19e4b916c.jpg

I just noticed that my kitchen floor looks green in this shot...it's not, I promise.

What kind of xpen do you have? What kind of crate do you have?

We have a wire kennel and a metal xpen that came with clips. When we attach the kennel, we just clip the xpen to each side of the kennel. That way, the barrier is secure. The sides can't simply be moved.

that's what lady did the other day she's only 11 wks i put her in play pen we have the crufts feedom playpen. It has a half side in it so that you can reach in and get to dog without having to unlock door. And she managed to jump up she had her head peaking over the top i know i shouldn't have laughed and encouraged the behaviour put it was really funny. She hasn't done it agin though maybe it was just a one off. It looked just like the pup in duncans_ma pic. Well one things for sure you don't need the telly on when you own a cav they provide plently of entertainment.

India jumped out of a 24 inch high x-pen only 2 weeks after we bought it. She cannot jump out of a 30 inch high pen, though.

Oh, and we did catch her standing on top of her crate when she was a puppy. :shock: Trying to find a way out of her 30 inch x-pen. :lol: Hubby had to build a barrier on top of the crate to keep her off!

Barbara Nixon said:
Teddy's great grandfather Toraylac Joshua used to climb high fences, to get to his bitches.

Toraylac Joshua is in Amber's pedigree too within a few generations- and she is turning into an inveterate climber and jumper. Not to mention a ballerina. The amount of time that pup spends twirling on her tippytoes would put many a ballet dancer to shame :lol: :lol:

Teddy has Toraylac Joshua three times as he's from a toraylac bitch. Joly has him twice, too.

I got it wrong before, as he's Joly's great grandfather and a generation lower for Teddy. Joly doesn't do climbing as he's not the athletic type. :D

I cannot tell Posey about these other cavs. She's kept in my office at work by a little tiny board across the doorway. It only comes up to her neck. Her pug buddy—they're the same size—leaps over it to play with her, nabs a toy or her bully stick, and leaps back over to taunt her. She watches from her side of the board, and whimpers a bit (until I go rescue her toy).

It hasn't occurred to Posey that she could easily jump over it (or knock it over, for that matter) to get her toy back, or to visit my other coworkers. Nobody tell her!

lol that's what Holly is like. She wouldn't dream of trying to break out from confines like that!

Back