• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Which are the best nylabones?

cavalicious

Hi everyone :flwr:

What do you or your dogs think are the best nylabones? In the shops we have these ones:

Durable
Flexible
Wishbone shaped
Bone shaped
Knot shaped
Fish shaped
Keys shaped
Corn shaped
Dinosaur shaped
Ones with little nubs on them (DENTAL ones)
Dinosaur dental
Ones with green in the middle and durable on the ends
Galilleo bones

Wow thats a lot! :p So which are the best to buy?

Thanks in advance :D

My girls have a chicken flavoured one and an ordinary one - they like both although they prefer raw hide and will eat those in preference.

Guess its just matter of trying a few and see which one your dog likes best.

I bought the Flexible Chicken and the Durable in I think Liver or whatever flavor. They are bone shaped and Riley does like them. They are not his absolute favorite, but I have 3 total and he does play with them and chew them from time to time. So I would go with just a simple shaped one to start with and depending on how much of a chewer your pup is, start with flexible (or durable if need be).
Good luck! :)

Lily really doesn't like them either after a couple of days. My hubby came home with a rawhide for her and I wouldn't let her have it. I've always heard, and been told by Vets to never give them rawhides as they can't digest them, so I have never given them to my dogs. Is this not true? I see some of you give them. What do you think about them and have they ever caused problems?

I don't give Rawhide to my pets, haven't for many years. I prefer the digestible forms of chews like Bully sticks, Sam's Yams, dried meat chews, etc. I have heard bad things about blockages from chunks of rawhide although it has not happened to me personally. I just would rather not take the chance since there are so many other choices for doggie chews.

I've only had problems over hide chews with Monty (in one case the ones sold by the vets as dental chews). He will swallow any piece of flat chew that is less than three inches long and gagged and was sick for a while.

They don't digest the hide, but if it's in small enough pieces it will pass through safely. Therefore I give munchy sticks (thy only like the minty ones ) and only a uk brand,as i've heard some foriegn ones contain poisonous colouring. Also, as teddy needed distracted from his licking and scratching I give them the long cigar shaped roll of solid hide. Because of the shape , they don't break off huge chunks. You could hold onto one for a puppy to nibble, as this would also train that the item is actually yours.

I do give Kosmo rawhide... I give it to him but when it gets soft I take it away and give him something else.. then it gets hard and i can give it back. He has had the same rawhide bone for a long time now though..

and he LOVES nylabones.. he chews on them for hours.. he didn't do it so much when he was a puppy but now that he's grown a little he chews them all the time. His favorite ones are the chicken and liver flavor in the bone shaped regular size. :) I did try to give him the smaller size but it became doggy breakfast and was thrown away within 24 hours as he was biting off bigger chunks. He's got 3 new ones coming in the mail for xmas though. :)

Also on the nylabone issue I will comment about the edible nylabones. I've heard a few more that have went through this, but personally, I had a bad experience with edibly nylabones. I had the pork chop flavor and I was watching a movie with my OH.. About 15 minutes into the movie I checked on the dog who was sitting down on the floor and was completely horrified to find that the nylabone was in several small pieces. If he would have swallowed one of those it would have most likely caused a blockage. I cannot believe that product broke apart so easily. I researched it online to make sure I didn't just get a "bad batch" and came across more people, not just with the porkchop flavor, who had the same problem. If you do decide to give them edible nylabones I would be very very cautious.

Good luck! :flwr:

I had a bad experience with the edible nylabones, too. Geordie broke off some large, jagged pieces. I think it was the bacon flavor. I just threw them away after I saw that!

As puppies, my dogs loved the small wishbones - clear flexible and the butterscotch-colored one - I think they were chicken flavored.

They also liked the small and regular sized bones, both clear flexible and the whitish gray plastic ones, they came in several flavors.

I have several nylabones, and I wash them occasionally in the dishwasher, then store them in the bully stick drawer. When I run out of bully sticks, India and Geordie will chew on the nylabones, but Chocolate has no interest in them.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I will buy one and see how it goes.. preferably a cheap one lol. :D Also I don't think they even sell edibles in the shops :p

Remi loves her dental nylabone with the little nubbins on it - she'll chew on it forever. It's one of the few things she like to chew on as much as my fingers. :roll:

Jack LOVES the durable nylabones (those are the hard ones, not the rubbery ones). He loves to sit on my lap and chew them while I watch t.v.

He is so funny with them - my Golden Retriever loves them and I buy her the large ones that look like they have a fist on the end. So when we got Jack I bought him the small version thinking that a smaller dog needs a smaller bone. Well, that was a mistake - Jack feels he is a big boy just like his sister and refuses to chew on the "baby" bone. Nothing is funnier than seeing a little boy running up to you carrying a bone that is longer than he is wide. :lol: And to make me laugh even harder, my Golden wants everything I buy for Jack so she often is carrying around the "baby" version.

my kids love the nylabones...chicken and a new special flavor chocolate...it said limited edition or something at petsmart last week
they have been fighting over that one :)

You might want to try the Booda Bimple bones . They are a great bone and they dont break in pieces . They are totally edible ( they are made from cornstarch) . My crew were used to pig ears .......so they wouldnt touch these bones until I threw away all of the pig ears . Now .....they LOVE the Booda bones !!

Back