• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

General Information on Cavies - Advice needed!!

Haraz

Hi,

Wow! It's great to belong to such a great forum, your all really friendly and thanks for the brilliant welcomes :D

I just wondered I'm hopefully considering bringing a wholecolour dog into our family but am unsure at the moment. How long do you guys leave your Cavaliers every day? My Mum works part time during the week., but her hours have been increased for the new year and have gone up to 6 hours, 4 days - 8.30am till 3.00pm but I will be home at 3.00pm :)

This however has been shown to me that this will be ok If I get a dogwalker in for an hour & 1/2 at noon. They could be reduced maybe to 5 mornings 4 & 1/2 hours although my mum currently has a Monday off which she is reluctant to give up!! :lol:

Could anyone offer me some advice please? Also do Cavies bark alot (1 on it's own!) ?

So long a dog is loved, cared for and walked every day (1 & 1/2 hours if not more :jump: ) then surely thats enough?

Hope I haven't offened anyone, my first post in all!
Haraz xx :flwr:

I leave mine for a maximum of four hours and there are four of them for company.

If you are thinking of a puppy, a couple of hours alone is a max, because otherwise he/she won't learn toilet rules, will be left in his/her soil and will also be very lonely. Also you cannot walk a young puppy or you may damage its legs. They don't need exercise walks until much older.

I echo what barb says about young dogs and that much exercise

maybe instead of the dog walker walking the dog they can come in and let the puppy out for a play and also give it an afternoon meal? I would suggest if there's any way possible for somebody to take a few weeks off when first bringing home the puppy that they do that. This will make potty training SOOO much easier..

As far as cavvies barking a lot, Kosmo barely barks unless we're squaking a toy at him, singing toys singing at him, or if I say "WHOS THAT WHOS THAT?" then he'll bark.. other than that even when someone rings the doorbell he just looks at me as if to say "are you kidding me?" :sl*p:

A suggestion if you can't not be home is to get an older puppy. Both of our pups came home at 16 weeks and were able to stay for up to 4 hours at a time so that we could work and come home at lunch for an hour and then agaion at the end of the day.

from what i've heard from different people, i think cavaliers vary in how much they bark, but they have a reputation for not being heavy barkers. My daughter's cavalier never ever barks. It's not something she apparently feels like doing. My cavalier usually doesn't bark, but will bark at things on TV or at just about any sound coming from my laptop, and at squirrels and other animal sounds coming from the backyard. But according to my neighbor, when i'm not home, when he is inside the house, with the TV and computer off, he doesn't bark. He's over a year old, when he was a younger puppy, he barked less, minimal, it seems to be something he discovered somewhere along the line, like the catbox. :? But when he was a pupppy, he cried more when i left him. My neighbor reported he would cry for about 5 minutes, sometimes longer, which he doesn't do anymore.

How old of a puppy are you considering? Generally, the less you leave the puppy alone, the better. the older the puppy is, the less hard it will be on the puppy to leave them for more than briefly. aQWSWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSWW

that last bit was zack typing you a message. he put his paw on the keyboard insistently, apparently he wanted to say something, so i decided not to delete it.

Knowing Zack, he probably was trying to say "dont' ever leave us alone, pway wif meeeeeeeee" :d*g:

I have two cavaliers, and I work from home.

I would never bring a puppy home without scheduling some sort of vacation around his/her arrival.

Both my boys keep each other company and actually sleep alot throughout the day. A puppy is completely different, I would also suggest you try to find a older Cavalier. Puppies need a lot of attention in the begining and somebody really needs to be home.

Good suggestion on having your dogwalker come in, but really should be more for company than walking.

How would you manage potty training if you are gone all day.

I know puppies are wonderful, I brought both my boys home as puppies and believe me I was extremely tired in the beginning.

How old is the puppy you are thinking about.

Sorry Yes I woud get the dog walker in when he's older around 6 months :) I have found a person who would come in and let him out aswell but I was just seeing generally what people's advice would be!

;)

How old is he. ?????
They really need someone around, if your neighbor is maybe willing to come over 2 or 3 times a day and stay with him that would be wonderful.

They really are just babies and to leave them alone in the beginning could be traumatic. Is it possible for you to get a Puppy that is a bit older.

From your avatar he looks young if this is the wee fellow you are talking about. He is delicious though, Darby is now just shy of 9 months it seems like just last week I brought him home. But I recall the nights I slept on the sofa to be close to the door for night-time wee wee's.

It is so hard, would the breeder maybe keep him a bit longer for you.

I would agree with what other people have said. Cavs really are velcro dogs, age aside, and it's hard for them to be alone. Arrange for someone to be at home several days after the pup arrives, and if it is going to be left for several hours immediately get a pup that's AT LEAST 12 weeks old and older if you can. I know that means that you miss out the really tiny incredibly cute stage, but trust me, even a 12 week pup is a lot of work. Eight weeks is even harder!

If that's your pup in your atavar, I want him. I've never seen a ruby with that thumbprint before! Although my little one is unusual enough as she has a stripe running down her face from the centre of her head. :D

Ask the breeder if he/she would be willing to keep the pup until he's about 3-4 months old. I got Kingston when he was around 16 weeks. He was already well-socialized from living around other dogs and, most importantly, he was potty trained! I wouldn't have done it any other way.

Back