• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

cavaliers and snow

How dose your cavalier act to snow?
My cavalier Spot just loves snow and gets totally crazy outside when he sees that everything is white. It is very hard to shovel the snow from ground when Spot is around because he wants me to poor the shoveled snow on to him ... he thinks that is the coolest thing. Like any other owner I am worried about the cold and got my cavalier a jacket what lasted only few days :) :D
Spot didn't like the jacket at all and when I but it on him and took him out side he just stand there and Brenda just ate the jacket to bits on him. So now we do not have a jacket for Spot but on very cold days I do not let him be outside more than 15 minutes. I live in a private house and I have no problems letting Spot out when he needs to go and he is very smart he always let's me know when he wants out.
Brenda and Beethoven also love the snow and even when it is - 20 outside they do not want to come in. They have dog house where they can go when it is very cold but usually they just sleep their packs together in the snow!!

Our dogs love the snow! They tear around like crazy and when it gets deep, they kind of half bounce and half run to get through the snow. It's really funny to watch! So far this year we have only had one snowfall that lasted and it was only about an inch. Normally we would have more like 12" to 16" on the ground by now. Once there is about 6" on the ground, I bring the snowblower out back and blow trails around the back yard (fenced). The dogs LOVE to run the trails chasing each other.

As far as temperatures, we just limit the dogs time out side when it gets very cold. When it's around 32 F (0 C), they have no problems staying out at least 1/2 hour or more. At 0 F (don't know C conversion for that), it's usually no more than about 10 minutes. Amazing how fast they can do their business when it's cold outside ;) We also tried the coats (and boots) a number of years ago and had no luck, so we gave up.

My cavs love the snow too! They act like puppies when the snow is deep. We dig trails for them in the deep snow; here is Geordie running the trail two winters ago :lol: :
2825844_644c584f47.jpg

mine's never seen snow! I'm really curious to see his reaction the first time he'll get in it!

Brady loves the snow. He does the half hop/run thing too. He also tries to eat it. my boyfriend parents have a fenced in yard so he loves going over there and he just whipped around so fast even with the snow. brady loves the play with his grandparents dog. they could chase each other all day! we've really only had the one snow, and it was brady's first. whne i first let him out he stood there for a second and let out a cry, but then i guess he relized that the snow is fun. :) no white christmas here this year either. :(

Back