• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Red Pigmentation around the mouth

Linda

I was just curious if most of your cavaliers have a bit of red around the outside of their mouths.

Dudley has a little bit, and for some reason I took a photo of him today and it really stood out. Hubby said he has always had it, I look in the gallery and from the photo's I looked at I see quite a few cavaliers with this.

I started doing a google search on yeast infections, but I after seeing all the other cavaliers with this I feel a bit better.

zack has pink around his mouth, sometimes it seems pinker than others, sometimes i dont' even notice it. last june, i thought it was pinker than usual but thought it was probably just my imagination--but it turned out to be pyoderma lesions. now, i always look harder at it when it seems especially pink. but i do think it's common. Belle has pink lips too. and a pink tummy. :)

Do you mean pink skin or discoloured hair ?

The hair gets discoloured by saliva and dogs who lick their legs a lot end up with pinky hair there, too. Pink skin shows because the hair is either finer or spaarcer in the area. Teddy's pink lips get redder if he's excited or up to mischief (blood supply increased? )

Barbara Nixon said:
Do you mean pink skin or discoloured hair ?

The hair gets discoloured by saliva and dogs who lick their legs a lot end up with pinky hair there, too. Pink skin shows because the hair is either finer or spaarcer in the area. Teddy's pink lips get redder if he's excited or up to mischief (blood supply increased? )

Thank you Barbara

I had a closer look at Dudley's mouth and the hair around his mouth is sparcer (sp).

It just stood out in the photo so much it frightened me but when you actually look at him it is no where near that pink.

Judy I did a google on pyoderma just to be sure, and Thank God this is not what Dudley has.

I once again went through the photogallery sections, I see that most of the Bleinhams & Tri's have this discolouration around their mouth.

Just wanted opinions, so I was'nt making a trip to the Vet.

Thank you

Zoe definately had pink around her mouth and sometimes it is redder than others....glad you posted this i was wondering too...just asked my mom about this 15 minutes ago

Sometimes they can get a yeast overgrowth...not something recognised by vets though :(

This can lead to pink discolouration of the hair, particularly around the face and sometimes the paws too, if they lick and/or bite at their paws or rest their heads on them.

Quite often they will have yeast infections in their ears too.

You can buy raw unfiltered apple {Cyder} vinegar. Mix equal parts vinegar and honey and administer with a syringe, add to food or put in fresh water daily.

I give half a teaspoon of the mixture every day to start with, until the red clears up.

It would be helpful to continue giving the mixture a couple of times per week.

You can mix up a few ounces ahead and store in a jar.

This gets the ph balance back up to a more acidic level and stops the growth of yeast in the body which is the root of this problem.

The vinegar also greatly reduces the smell of entire dog's urine..very helpful for feather wetters!!

thanks for that remedy nicki. zack sometimes gets that reddish fur under his eyes, near the inner corners, and i had read that yeast causes a reddish color, so i have made a solution of probiotics and water and washed the area with that, also giving some by mouth, and this has seemed to help, as i think the bacteria in probiotics destroy or consume the yeast. but i'm not sure if it helps because there have been times it didn't clear up when i did it.

the pink zack has around his mouth is from the skin color, not the fur, and it just the thinness of the hair i think. was interested in what Barbara was guessing about the changes in blood supply maybe explaining the way it's sometimes pinker than others. because it does show up more sometimes than others and sometimes i don't see it at all.

Here is a darling picture I took today of my precious boy showing some of the red pigmentation.

Nicki I am sending you an email on this luv.

You are the best.

IMG_4058.jpg

robynmp said:
Linda...looks just like Zoe's little mouth....are you going to try the apple cider vinegar?

Robyn

I already called the Health Food Store tonight, but they were closed.

I will call again in the morning, I don't think the grocery store will carry Pure Apple Cide Vinegar, I bought that not long ago for the tear ducts.
I never did use it on a regular basis.

I think I will try giving Colby some apple cidar vinegar in his food everyday to help with the red staining under his eyes . Does it have to be mixed with honey ?? I have some ACV that I bought from the grocery .......is that kind not good ??

Linda ...... looking at Dudleys pic again .........I think thats pretty normal and doesnt look like red yeast staining . I have noticed alot of Cavaliers with this .....even Colby ...lookie
NOV06049-vi.jpg

I gave Zoe and Bobo apple cider vinegar from the healthfood store in their water everyday when Bobo had kennel cough and a yeast infection
I don't know if it helped, but ti is supposed to be good for them anyway
I remember buying the natural raw apple cider vinegar....it is really cloudy

think i may try it again.....

Zoe's red lips
zoe1.jpg

Nicki said:
Sometimes they can get a yeast overgrowth...not something recognised by vets though :(

This can lead to pink discolouration of the hair, particularly around the face and sometimes the paws too, if they lick and/or bite at their paws or rest their heads on them.

Quite often they will have yeast infections in their ears too.

You can buy raw unfiltered apple {Cyder} vinegar. Mix equal parts vinegar and honey and administer with a syringe, add to food or put in fresh water daily.

I give half a teaspoon of the mixture every day to start with, until the red clears up.

It would be helpful to continue giving the mixture a couple of times per week.

You can mix up a few ounces ahead and store in a jar.

This gets the ph balance back up to a more acidic level and stops the growth of yeast in the body which is the root of this problem.

The vinegar also greatly reduces the smell of entire dog's urine..very helpful for feather wetters!!

I just called the Health Food Store this morning, and they sell the pure unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar. I am so glad I am going to get some later today and start right away.

Nicki I would imagine you keep this at room temperature after mixed.
Is is also a good idea to give it to Darby, I would imagine it would not do any harm.

I am just wondering if I could give this 1/2 tsp directly into Dudley's mouth as he is so funny when it comes to smelling the forbidden in his food. I already add a plaque cleaner to the water would I be able to add both.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks guys, I feel so much better knowing that I am not alone not meaning it in a bad way either. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Roxanne said:
I think I will try giving Colby some apple cidar vinegar in his food everyday to help with the red staining under his eyes . Does it have to be mixed with honey ?? I have some ACV that I bought from the grocery .......is that kind not good ??

Roxanne

I also have the one from the grocery store, I believe it has to be unfiltered and pure.

But we can wait on Nicki, I have sent her off an email too. :D :D

Mary Alice has little pink lips....so did our Charley.

As long as they aren't red, I think it's just their little lips.

So cute!

Dudley is just gorgeous!!

Lulu sweetie looking closely at this photo I don't think that's staining at all - it's just blood flow in the skin.

Looking at Colby and Zoe they are the same, that is normal.

The pinky red when it's yeast overgrowth is very much more pronounced - and is the fur not the skin itself.

Trying to find a photo to illustrate it...

The vinegar/honey mix won't do any harm, but I'd save it for when you need it - such as if they have staining around the eyes, or infections.

Roxanne, I don't recognise the brand - is ACV the initials for apple cyder vinegar? If so, then that will be fine - but Colby looks fine to me too.

Roxanne, I don't recognise the brand - is ACV the initials for apple cyder vinegar? If so, then that will be fine - but Colby looks fine to me too.

Nicki

Darlin, Roxanne is just using ACV short term I believe for Apple Cider Vinegar. ;) ;)

Thank you Nicki, I really appreciate your input.

last summer, someone recommended putting ACV in Zack's water to prevent fleas. But zack, who generally likes to drink water, wouldn't touch it. He sniffed it at first and tasted it, and then after that, he left it alone. But other people use this and recommend it. I could've given it to him by syringe but i didn't. That cloudy stuff in the vinegar is called "the mother," i believe. :| you're supposed to get the kind with the mother in it, they say.

i did spray zack with diluted regular white vinegar and water for fleas, as some recommended. I don't know if it helped much but he smelled like a salad.

Back