• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Walking a puppy, how long? Pavement walking?

*Pauline*

I was wondering is there any guidelines for how long to walk a puppy, mine is 16 weeks. Also I saw in another post that it's bad to walk a dog on pavement but I have done this already and taken my dog to town. Have I done some damage then? I picked him up and put him down a few times so he didn't walk constantly and I was slow.

Also are there any good tips for walking to heel, all's good so far but I'd hate for that to change as he becomes more confident. Last walk he was so distracted he was sniffing everything and he sat down to watch a man eat his chips! He was showing off those beautiful big eyes!

Pauline, in Sheila Smith's book Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Today, she says.
A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy is neither physically nor mentally up to going on long walks with the family and may have to be carried most of the way in the safety of the owner's arms. Serious exercising, and then only by moderate degrees, can take place when the puppy has finished growing, usually at around seven months of age.

Also,
Skating along highly polished floors, climbing stairs and jumping on and off furniture must not be allowed: it is not only dangerous but may affect the puppy's soft bones and conformation for later life.

John Evans says road walking shouldn't start until the puppy is 6 months of age, starting with just a few yards at a time and increasing the distance each day.

And, of course, I was walking Jake on pavement at 3 months :yikes Remember though...he was my first puppy in 18 years!! I would walk with him until he was tired and then carry him home.

I really wish the breeders would warn people about this. :?

Sorry, I didn't mean any of our breeders here on CavTalk! :flwr: :flwr:

I wish I could convince my mother of it never mind! I get nagged about not walking Amber enough, and all protests re her age are met with a 'Oh, don't be stupid!' Chaming :lol:

Having said that, if anyone can come up with a sensible solution for keeping a puppy with built in springs OFF sofas and the top of crates and IN pens, I'd be forever grateful.... Honestly, I think Amber believes she can fly the way she leaps *up* into the air when she's actually trying to get down from somewhere... :roll:

Geesh, I had no idea about that...Cody is rather lazy and prefers a warm lap to a walk any day so we haven't had much of an issue.

When they are older though, the pavement keeps their nails nicely filed so cutting them is not needed as frequently. Actually...Wesley has never even needed a trim! He is the athlete of the family and my jogging buddy (actually he drags me around the neighborhood and I pretend to keep up). :dogwlk:

I feel awful now, I have taken Dylan into town twice and taken him to a doggie field and round the block (a 5 min walk at most) twice. My floors are wooden at home and his favourite game is chase the wash ball round the lounge sliding all over the place. Unless I use a big rug. :?

But how are you meant to get them used to walking on a lead with the sound of traffic etc. and to meet other dogs and great nicely? Should I carry him everywhere till he is 6 months?

I really don't think that 5 minute walks are going to scarr him for life and socialization is just as important, in my opinion. I just would use your judgement and not over-do it.

I hope so. I was aware he would get tired, I didn't have him running on pavement. Just a slow walk. Oh well, I know now.

I was never told to *not* walk Charley on pavement.

One of our daughters used to take him on long walks around the lake when we were at the cottage!!!

She did carry him home if he was tired but it was probably the wrong thing to do ..... if breeders don't tell you or it's not in Dog Magazines, how is a person to know??

Charley would walk a couple of miles without tiring....glad I know that for any future pups!

Mary Alice loves a long walk but she's no puppy!! :lol:

I will check all of my cavalier books to see how many of the breeder / authors seem to agree on this. I'll post again when I have all the info. :flwr:

I'm only posting so I'll be sure to be notified when Kathy gets back after checking her books.

We saw all four beautiful pups 2 days ago, and found which puppy we are getting - it's one of the tri girls!! :D (now my avatar). Kody comes home the last wk in Jan.

If I read these threads right, it means I shouldn't even go for short 5-10 min walks on city sidewalks? Arg that would make it June before we could enjoy the outdoors :(

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the reason for so little pavement walking is because of the impact on the bones/plates whilst the pups are growing.

Oakley gets enough exercise at present just charging around the house after Merlin. We also have the odd game of football with them both outside if they're being a bit rowdy!

Thank you Cathy. I'm not the strongest of people and I can't imagine carrying a six month old puppy for very long! On the other hand, there are grass verges (Spelling) on most pavements in my town, quite possible to walk Dylan along these.

Ok, here is what Meredith Johnson-Snyder says about puppies and walking and exercise in her book A New Owner's Guide to Cavalier King Charles Spaniels:
Remember, young puppies have short bursts of energy and then require long rest periods. No puppy should be forced to accompany you on extended walks. Serious injuries can result. Again, short exercise periods and long rest stops for any Cavalier under 10 or 12 months of age. On the other hand, most adult Cavaliers will willingly walk as far as the average owner is inclined to go.

Margaret Workman in her book The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel doesn't say anything about walking puppies, except it may be implied here by the word 'adult' that you wouldn't walk a puppy that long/far:
An adult Cavalier needs a minimum of half an hour's walk a day...

I still have to check the Barbara Garnett-Wilson book...

The books Ive read say that you shouldnt walk them for more than 10-15mins a day.

So a quick trot round the block it is icon_whistling

When Joly and teddy were little puppies, I used to take them to work with me. I'd let them walk for a block, then carry for the same distance and so on. They don't need to walk to get used to people, traffic etc.

I've always understood that overexercised puppies end up with legs which are disproportionally long.

Back