PDA

View Full Version : HOMED: Cav Mix Needs Home

Kimmisue
28th December 2006, 03:42 PM
Sassy was found at our local humane society where she was out of time but rather then let her be put down a friend of mine picked her up.

She is definitely a mix . about 1.5 years old 10 lbs and is very very lovable . She is very scared right now and is submissive wetting.
Is getting along well with other dogs.
She was just Spayed on the 20th and is doing well. Rhonda has many foster dogs and can't keep her. I told her I would put the word out for her .
Sassy is located in St. Joseph, Michigan.

Phone : Home 269-925-2488 Work : 269-923-4260
Email: Rhonda_Immoos@whirlpool.com

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/KDienes/Sassy.jpg

Karlin
28th December 2006, 05:18 PM
That is one cute little dog. There is the occasional all black throwback BTW within cavalier lines -- there once was an all black version. I would suggest emailing BruceH on this site as his wife Kris is rescue coordinator in Minnesota -- they may be able to help with this one. But even better maybe someone here would be interested -- she is darling.

Kimmisue
28th December 2006, 05:40 PM
Maybe she is a purebred...I don't know.
She is really nice and I hope someone from our group could help her find her new home.

Charleen
28th December 2006, 05:49 PM
She is a real beauty. I work with someone who has been talking about finding a cavalier rescue, so I forwarded the info. onto her. She has rescued dogs before and she knows what is involved in giving them a good new home.

Lisa_T
28th December 2006, 07:58 PM
She is gorgeous. She looks like a purebred to me- that head is pure cavalier!
Good luck with her!

Zippy
28th December 2006, 08:07 PM
Sassy is lovely.

She seems to have a lot of Cavalier features...what kind of "mix" is she??

I hope she gets a good home soon! :D

Mic
28th December 2006, 08:26 PM
What a doll! I love her coloring. If she were closer......or if anyone could help me get her to Arkansas....I'd snatch her in a heartbeat. She just grabs me for some reason.

Barbara Nixon
28th December 2006, 08:30 PM
She is very pretty. if she is a mix, I'd say the other part was american cocker, but, as Karlin says, there used to be all black cavaliers, so she could be a throw back or from a line kept up.

What apitty she's not over here, as a lady contcted me only a short while ago, as she wanted another cavalier, having lost hers , suddenly, at a very young age.

Kimmisue
29th December 2006, 01:19 PM
I think I will foster her until she finds a home. We originally thought Cocker spaniel mix but after Karlins post I agree she looks like it is just a color thing and that she is pure bred.

I am just waiting for Rhonda to get into her office this morning.

Everyone in the USA please forward this on to all of your contacts.

Bruce,

If you have anyone interested please let me know.

Thank you all for your response..I would not let a cavalier fall into the wrong hands or be put down.

Thanks again

Mic
29th December 2006, 05:01 PM
I contacted Rhonda and told her I'd love to keep her little rescue if we could figure out a way to get her to Arkansas. Kinda crazy since I'm already involved with rescue, but I'm so drawn to this little gal's pic and story for some reason. Anyway, here's what Rhonda told me about her:

Well, I've had her since yesterday afternoon. I thought she was a cocker until I saw how teeny tiny she was. I have a 14lb pb black cocker (who's considered too small for the breed) and she is 1/2 his size. I am already in love with her. She is very quiet and clingy. Some submissive wetting but I wouldn't think that is too unusual given the trauma she's been thru recently. She was spayed on 12/20 while at the shelter, dumped by her "family" the first part of December, then adopted out 2 times and returned for the wetting. One party claimed she was a biter - but couldn't give any description to the kennel manager. I see absolutely NO signs of biting. I rescue cockers and have rehabilitated my fair share of owner surrender dogs due to alleged biting.

I would like to evaluate her a bit more to see what is really going on. If she has issues, I feel it is best for her and any potential adopter to know what they are. More often than not -- - -I think it is the PEOPLE who get dogs without understanding the breed, its needs, etc... that have the issues, rather than the dog itself. The only 2 variables I cannot test is kids & cats - I have neither. So far she has been wonderful with the cockers, even the specials needs ones. She's sort of velcro like right now but that may change. I'll keep you posted on her status. I work with S* Cocker Rescue who may end up accepting her - but I have not confirmed that?
I told Rhonda that if it didn't work out for me, I'd be happy to help spread the word to help her place the pup. It sounds like Rhonda is doing a great job with her.

Karlin
29th December 2006, 05:31 PM
Oh keep us all informed! She may well be a terrier/cavalier cross or even chih/cav to get that small build, little head and all black colour -- I'd guess cavalier is more likely than cocker given the head shape and size but as always it is very hard to know (see my post on the cairn/cavalier mix who looks like a full cairn!).

Submission wetting often imrpoves very quickly with some training and as the dog's confidence grows, so I bet that will be fine. Otherwise it can always be managed so situations that trigger the wetting -- eg returning home to the house to the dog -- take place in a 'safe zone' like a tiled hall or kitchen floor where cleanup is easy. Most cases I have known of submission wetting have eventually gone away. :)

She is a very cute little girl and would make a fun addition to a group of cavaliers with her colouring! Also I think she would improve quickly in the company of some other dogs. Given that she has been through four homes now in a short period that will likely have exacerbated the weting too so bet some stability will help her very quickly too. :)

Kimmisue
29th December 2006, 06:23 PM
Mic,

I will be fostering her.. I am picking her up tonight.

My email is kimmisue@comcast.net

Hopefully between all of us..we will find her a home.

Until then she will be safe and sound with my little guys.

Cathy T
29th December 2006, 11:52 PM
Good for you Kim in stepping up to the plate for this little lady.

Kimmisue
30th December 2006, 08:42 PM
She is wonderful..it breaks my heart that someone has hit her.
But she is doing great..a nice warm bath..all the mats out and a warm bed..Reggie and Honey have welcomed her so it is working out fine.
She loves my Mom and seems to have made her home in her lap.

Oh well one more :)

I will send updated photos next week.

matties mum
30th December 2006, 10:08 PM
Please do put up some more photos----Aileen

Lani
30th December 2006, 10:55 PM
Yes, more photos PLEASE!! :snap: :snap: :snap: :snap:

She is such a gorgeous baby even as a rescue! I can't wait to see how lovely she looks in your loving home with other Cavys. She looks so sweet! I think the all black is so adorable, and she definitely has a Cavy face.

Cathy Moon
30th December 2006, 11:39 PM
Bless you for fostering her, Kim. She looks like a lovely girl!

Mic
31st December 2006, 03:41 AM
Hmmmmm

Coloma, MI to Little Rock, Arkansas

Total Est. Time: 11 hours, 25 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 737.71 miles

Pretty much all on Interstate 57 or Interstate 55
One of my sister's lives in St. Louis, about half way.
Hmmmm....

icon_whistling :drivecar: :sl*p:

Mary
31st December 2006, 11:09 AM
She is so cute....Mickey if you leave now...... :drivecar:

Alison_Leighfield
31st December 2006, 11:23 AM
Let us know how you all get on....it's wonderful news that she is going to you to be fostered or perhaps even long term!.... she will grab your heart once you have her in your arms! :D :lotsaluv:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Maxxs_Mummy
1st January 2007, 03:47 PM
What a little darling she is. She does indeed look like a full Cavalier to me - maybe a b&t without the t LOL

My friend used to have a black springer Spaniel - pure bred - it was her 2 Springers that gave her a litter so she knew there was no cross breeding involved. The black one was the only one without any white markings so she kept her as she was 'special' - she was a little angel too :flwr:

Kimmisue
2nd January 2007, 12:23 AM
Mic ....I am so sorry but she has a new home ...MINE :D
She is so attached to mom I couldn't take her away. Her New name that she chose is Missy.

Here are the latest photos.. We just need to tame the little colic down on her head. :lol:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/KDienes/IMG_1562.jpg

Charleen
2nd January 2007, 12:32 AM
Congrations to you, your mom and to Missy. She is such a beauty. I am glad to hear about her happy ending. No more abuse or unhappiness now in Missy's life.

Lani
2nd January 2007, 12:59 AM
Oh, she's so beautiful.

I have to confess that I secretly hoped you'd decide to keep her for good. :lol:

:flwr: I'm so happy she has found a loving forever home with you!!

Mic
2nd January 2007, 01:47 AM
Well, I'm happy for you and your mom, but sad for me...boo hoo. She's such a cutie and I know she'll be happy with you. I have no idea why she "grabbed" me so, but I really felt drawn to get her. I even was trying to work a trip to St. Louis to visit my sister and see if I could arrange a flight or something from there. Oh well. "Sign from God," as I always say. 'Twasn't meant to be for me. At least I'll get to see pictures of her when you post them....which I'm sure you'll be doing since she's such a doll!

matties mum
2nd January 2007, 01:23 PM
b*n*n* :jmp2: Well done so good to hear love the name----AILEEN

matties mum
2nd January 2007, 01:24 PM
:oops:

molly
3rd January 2007, 11:43 PM
Ahh, Kimmisue, I am so glad she now has a loving home! Missy so reminds me of my first cocker spaniel Sassy, the worlds sweetest dog.

Lisa_T
4th January 2007, 02:13 AM
I think Karlin's right. That's a purebred Cav that's a throwback to pure black lines. Even my parents drooled over her, and they're now thoroughly sick of Cav photos! :badgrin:

Well done for homing her, but honestly, I don't know how you could have resisted her!

JaneB
10th January 2007, 05:52 PM
Kim,
Congratulations on joining the "Failed Fostering Club!" I never knew failing at something could be so terrific, I'm sure you'll agree. Missy is a doll!

I know that the submissive wetting issue is a such a bother. Our foster girl, Ella, (soon to be our forever girl), is still doing some of it. She's much better in the past couple of weeks but. . . We are working with her to help build her confidence but if anyone has a miracle tip, please share.

Keep us posted on beautiful Missy's progress.

JaneB