• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question - Snugglesafe heat pad and Kong Recipes needed!

msunter

Hi All,

Our 18 and a half week old tri pup Rio obtained many toys for his Christmas from various members of the family, two of them being Kongs for pups, we have also got the red medium one for when he is older.

However apart from putting small treats it in it, which he rolls with his paw and uses his nose to get out. We actually don't have a clue as what to give him inside the Kongs. :shock:

I've read on various other threads that people have used mushy things then frozen them and the furbabies go mad over them. Rio would eat anything and everything if you let him :lol: I read somewhere that someone used a little peanut butter and pumpkin in their dog's Kongs. :yikes

We would like to experiment with different tastes for him but also in small moderation since he is just a pup, also my aunt said not to buy the spray in a can Kong stuff as its supposedly like a Junk Food for the dogs and not very good for them.

Would anyone be so kind as to help us out on recipes or ingredients for our pup's Kong toys??? :flwr:

I was also wondering if anyone from the UK or the US has purchased the Snugglesafe heat pad for their dogs/cats etc and what they think of them. ????

Rio's crate is placed in the kitchen and can sometimes get very cold at night, especially with this season. I read that this pad can stay heated up to 10 hours and we don't like the sound of buying one of these electrical mats in cases of fires and for his safety.

It would be very kind if anyone can give us any info or pointers on these two products before we actually start using them or purchasing them.

All responses very much appreciated :)

Cavalier Talk Rules !! :D

Melissa :flwr:

Posey goes NUTS for peanut butter. We only put in a little—one small gob that'll still fit through the hole in the kong—and she devours it, even though it's halfway down the kong. I keep meaning to freeze it so it'll take her longer to get through, but thinking ahead a few hours about a kong continually slips my mind.

I'm interested to hear other ideas, too. Our kong was 'missing' for three months—Posey hid it somewhere in my office, and despite searching high and low for it, I couldn't find it. Last week, I turn around and she's playing with it again—I have no idea where she found it, but I'm sure it was exactly where she hid it three months ago!

I use the snugglesafe with Lia. I put it under her blanket. Lia likes it a lot (sometimes she sleeps like a little ball only on the disc).

:flwr:

freddie is 12 wks old, i have gotten him a kong, but was not sure what to put into it!! Would he be able to have peanut butter? i see on the other thread ye say frozen banana!

If you're using peanut butter, please only buy the organic one - peanuts are one of the heaviest treated crops with pesticides etc.

You can freeze chicken stock {Made from boiling up the carcass with water and vegetables - NOT stock cubes, too much salt} in the kong - messy but they enjoy it.

A little smear of butter, with some chopped raw veg such as carrot keeps them busy for a while - try to arrange the veg so it blocks the hole at the top.

As far as pet bed warmers, we use them only for the young puppies. Both our pads are in use and I can't see the name, so I'll try to describe it. The most important thing is that the part that plugs into the wall is a transformer that knocks down the voltage to something like 12 or 24 volts. That way if a dog chews on the cord, it doesn't get electrocuted. The cord going to the pad is also wrapped in a spring-looking kind of wire to help protect it from chewing, although a dog who is serious about chewing could chew through it. The pad itself is almost like a very heavy rubber so it's washable and can be sanitized. The pad is designed to be covered with bedding, but we put the pad under the crate and the bedding in the crate. The pad won't actually feel hot; if a pad feels very warm, it's probably too hot. The pad should also be a size that only covers about 1/2 the crate so if the dog gets too warm, he can move off the pad area. We leave the pad plugged in 24/7 for the puppies.

Hope that helps. BTW, how cool does it get where Rio is kept? Our dogs sleep where it's about 65 F overnight and are very comfortable. Remember, dogs have this really great fur coat they wear all the time :D

Bruce - your guys are spoiled ! :D Our house gets down to around 58 at night. Neither pup seems to be bothered by it.

I put cheese in it and then in the microwave, so he's good for a long time to get it al out. peanutbutter is great too, and little crushed cookies or wafels. You can google for kong and go to their site, there are a lot of ideas!

I'd be very wary of using anything electrical for a puppy, unless it was a tiny helpless one.

This reminds me to mention that wheat bags are dangerous.

Someone on dogpages bought a wheatbag teddy, from Crufts (of all places). It was put away in a cupboard, but a greyhound, who doesn't normally mess about in cupboards, opened the door, got the teddy and ripped it up, swallowing some of the contents, in the process. The result was that he nearly died and the vet had to fight really hard to save him.

Buy PLain yogurt and put it in the kong and freeze it....it will help ease the teeting pain too and my guys loooove yogurt!!

Back