• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

worming

lily

how often is enough?? every 3 mths?? also even if a dog hasnt found to have fleas, would it be wise to treat them just to protect them anyway??

We've always used "flea control" products and have never had any fleas on our doggies.

Better to avoid them than to try getting rid of them.

Besides, it wouldn't be very nice for the doggies! :flwr:

I only use flea control when needed. In 6 years we've never had the need. I don't like to prophylactically use toxins-- too many autoimmune issue have been brought to our attention. fwiw

I think it's only wise to do flea control when necessary. I don't know where you're from, but here it's only really recommended for 6 months (the warmer months) out of the year. ;)

thanks for replies.... i will worm her every 3 mths & when i take her to be spayed in jan i'll ask the vet about treating fleas.. :flwr:

Some of the flea products that you put on shoulders also worm so just make sure you aren't doing more than is needed. Dogs are more prone to worms in their first year -- I am not convinced they need regular worming after that as this is a strong dose of chemicals and much of the literatuie says that adult healthy dogs are pretty resistent to worm problems. I tend to worm maybe once a year, mainly because I usually have stray kittens in foster at least once during the summer and they will usually have fleas and worms. Same for fleas -- maybe once or twice a year. Most flea products now last 3-4 months. The shoulder treatments are considered by most to be much preferable to the old collar-style treatments.

I worm with Drontal , every thremonths, but don't like flea treatments. I've been lucky never to have a flea infested dog in 35 years, but did have to do teddy, on the vet's recommendation, incase his allergy was to fleas. It has proved not to be, but i'm having, reluctantly to use a flea/mite spray, because he has come up as allergic to dust mites.

Back