• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Water question

Nean

I asked on the other board, but incase there are some here that do not monitor the other board, I'll ask here too.

We adopted a rescue, male CKC who is about 3 months old. He's our second although our first is female.

He pees constantly, poops alot too. I'm going wondering if it is ok to restrict his water to 4 or 5 times a day rather than just whenever he wants? Wondering if this would help him not pee so much. We are spending all the time out in the yard with him and he's still having "accidents" in the house alot. probably 4 pee accidents just today.

Thoughts?

Nean

1) This is what puppies do. Have you had a young puppy before, as it may seem like a lot :) but a three month old puppy is a tiny baby and needs to go a LOT. As always I recommend Shirlee Kalstone's book on housetraining a puppy in 7 days. This is very good on what you need to do, sample schedules, etc.

2) If he really, truly is voiding himself nonstop and beyond what a normal puppy does, has this puppy been to a vet for a thorough check? If he is truly going constantly then probably something is medically wrong and he needs a vet check urgently.

3) and no, you should never restrict water from a dog, and particularly not from a puppy. This is so im[portant that not having water available *at all times* is one definition of cruelty for most humane societies -- that is how important constant access to water is. Withholding water for 2 hours or so before sleeping at night is fine to help restrict the need to pee at night though. (y)

Karlin said:
Withholding water for 2 hours or so before sleeping at night is fine to help restrict the need to pee at night though. (y)

That's good to know because I stop Wesley's water intake about 3 hours before bedtime. I'll make it two now since he's doing so well with the potty training.

I set a timer for every 20 mins and take Dylan out then. I think this is loads too but I'm sure it's just that I'm not used to it and he does hold himself if he is in his crate. The timer is great, you have no idea how fast 20 mins goes.

Thanks Karlin, and yes, I've had several puppies in my life, including Laci, our two year old Cav that we also had since 3 months old. And, yes, he's been to the vet and everything seems to be fine. I would not withold water all day by any means. I personally think it's the "male" thing. Most of my pups in life have been females. Had a male cocker once, but that was 25 years ago and don't remember much. We take him out frequently, but he just seems to have a very small bladder... or probably more like he doesn't care........... yet!

Nean

I've been extremely busy today, expecting company in a couple of hours, but as I've thought about my question and Karlin's reply, I've decided I needed to take the time to sit down and make my real qestion more clear instead of hurried unexplained question that I posted earlier that has made me look like an idiot.

We had not been restricting Quincy to one room, but two since we've had him (one week today) The one room has carpet the other vinyl (kitchen). My husband made a board to put across a door way to restrict him a little more so there would not be so many accidents on the carpet. The board blocks off the kitchen, which is where the water dish is. The board is to heavy to move all the time so when we were letting him in the family room with us, which is often, he is restricted from his water. He also spends time in the kitchen when I'm in there or when I feel like I don't have the time to keep my eyes on him literally every minute. Anyway, I noted the other day that time in the kitchen is about 4 or 5 periods of time a day and wondered if this was enough exposure to water a day. Since then, we've gone to petco and found a puppy gate that is low enough to step over but that will keep him confined to the kitchen when I need him to be. It had also occured to me when we were using the other board that Laci was not able to get to her water either so I knew something had to change. This gate has a "door" on it so when he is not restricted to the room I open the door and they both can come and go in the kitchen as they please. So this has now solved the water issue, but.... now..... the bell issue. It occured to me a bit ago while I was in there cleaning and he was with me, if he by chance (fat chance :roll: ) needed to go out and wanted to ring the bell to alert me, he can't get to it when he's resticted!!
I think that I don't have to really worry about that, I have a feeling it's going to be a long long time before he decides he will alert us with the bell!!! Although I must say.... he's not terrified by it anymore like he was the first day or so we used it! And he sure has learned fast where the "I've been a good boy and peed outside" treats are! and when he gets them!!!!!

Anyway, Karlin and all... I'm not really being mean to him and he IS getting plenty of water!!! And going outside very often, altough I'll have to say Paulines suggestion of every 20 minutes gave me pause. I think we were doing every 30 to 40, unless I knew he'd drank, then it was within 5 minutes of drinking. We'll adjust as I figure him out.

Back to work now... company is coming.. I just didnt want anybody to think I was torturing the little guy.

Nean

Karlin said:
3) and no, you should never restrict water from a dog, and particularly not from a puppy. This is so im[portant that not having water available *at all times* is one definition of cruelty for most humane societies -- that is how important constant access to water is. Withholding water for 2 hours or so before sleeping at night is fine to help restrict the need to pee at night though. (y)

Eeek! I read that during the house training phase it was ok to restrict water (ie, give it regularly, but not allow free access) to a pup until he or she was more or less reliable in the house. That it what I've done with both of mine, and it's worked. They do also have water for them out the back, so it's only the indoors access that's restricted. And then of course I went and bought a big new dish for water and both dogs are scared ofit. :roll:

Back