• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My dog ate my santa hat

cecily

I'm a little worried about Tandie... she has all of a sudden decided that toys are fun after all, especially if you take them off Dougal and destroy them. She has already broken or ripped several of his new toys. Anyway, she was chewing on his squeaky Rudolf teddy and next thing we knew the santa hat on him was gone. Just the red bit (she hadn't managed to eat the white fluffy bit). :sl*p:

It wouldn't amount to a large amount of material (he's only a small teddy and therefore his little hat was v.small) , and we'll be watching her poos very carefully. :| Is there any symptoms we whould watch out for, or anything we can give her to help her pass it on her own?

Anybody elses cavaliers eat foreign objects? The breeder we got Aggie off had a blenheim who once ate an entire green towel. Naturally she required surgery, but survived, only to later on eat yet another green towel (she survived that one two! must have had 9 lives)

I am no expert, but when Toby was younger, he used to eat socks if we left them around. :yikes A while later, they were always brought back up intact, so hope this happens with your santa hat! :flwr:

Spencer was a pro when he was little about cleaning up anything my lab tore up. We had white and red and green and blue turds in our yard forever!

She will probably be just fine if she only ate the little bit. I am not sure what the symptoms are of something being 'stuck' on the inside.

Watch Tandy closely and make sure she is pooping regularly. If not, take her to the vets. Also, if she is vomiting, not eating or drinking, straining to poop, or if she appears to be in any pain or discomfort you should take her to the vets.

Since obstructions are very serious and often deadly, is there any way you can put little Dougal and his puppy toys in a pen out of her reach? That way he can continue to enjoy them without the risk to her.

I felt so bad when I had to put our puppy toys away for good (saving for a puppy in the far-off future) because Geordie started destroying them with his molars.

What Cathy says. (y)

Adults tend to be a lot harder on toys than puppies and different dogs tend to be rougher than others. Also get more than one dog and they can be far roguher with toys too than they were on their own.

Jaspar used to love stuffed toys and be very gentle with him but with the arrival of Leo stuffed toys have only one purpose -- to be de-stuffed. :roll: Hence I have to watch them very closely. Lily is a fabric chewer (loves socks) so I have to watch HER to keep such things away because, as Cathy notes, ingesting fabric can indeed be dangerous.

Dougal is probably going to need to get HIS toys in a pen or crate and be kept separate from shared toys that are Tandie-proof.

On the plus side, isn't it marvellous that Tandie has suddenly realised that play is FUN? LOL.

Amber and Holly haven't destroyed any toys yet (apart from the snuggle pup) but they love running off with socks/underwear/the teatowel... and in Amber's case, she's become an expert at pinching anything and everything left on my hall table. Mail, scarves... even the telephone yesterday- all fair game. Luckily the 'phone made a nasty noise as it crashed to the floor so hopefully she's cured of that one.

Our Charley went after socks/undies/paper of any kind.

We just watched for *that* colour to come out, usually the next day!!

Hopefully, you won't need the vet but as stated, keep an eye on the poops!

I was thinking the same as you Lisa, it is as if she is enjoying the puppyhood she possilbly did not have or get to enjoy ?? (not sure of her circumstances) or just enjoying a new found happyness at least.

When Digby had one of his stick and stone chewing episodes :yikes he started to lip smack first (nausea), then get restless moving around a lot as if he can't get comfy and he also lays flat in the frog position and drags himself all around the house as if he is trying to scratch his stomach or move something inside him that does not feel comfy. At this point I had him x rayed and he had a belly full of goodies which THANK GOD he passed without damage.

I agree with Cathy about the toys and the need to keep them away from Tandy, it is also good for the pup to have some me time away from her with his own toys.

Hope you find a red furry hat pooh soon :)

Back