• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Got some weight off them

Charleen

I joined this webboard in late April of this year and I brought Luke home to live with me on May 20th. After reading all the postings about how much to feed the dogs, I realized I couldn't leave the food out for them to graze, that I had to give them measured quantities. I started after Luke came because the breeder told me that he is a real chow hound and would eat everything in sight if he could. She recommended feeding the dogs in their crates.

So it was hard figuring out the right quantity to feed them and I have been slowly adjusting it to fine tune the right amount.

Also, I have learned through this board & Laura's feeding guide with pictures http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm that Merry & Pippin were overweight. I'll refer to her pictures below. And before I got this scientific, I must confess that I let Luke put on weight too.

It took them over to the vet's office to get weighed yesterday, to see how they were coming along.

The good news - They have all lost weight since their high points, but I think Luke has further to go (& maybe Merry too) and I will have to cut his quantity of food again. I feel so bad, but I know it is the right thing to do. He'll look at me and say, Mom-I need more food, where is it?

Pippin went from 28.8 pounds(#) down to 26.2 # and he has a clear waist. He looks like picture #1. Eats 1 cup per day.

Merry went from 20 # down to 17.5 # and looks like picture #2. I think she has a way to go, but not much. Eating 1/2 cup per day. Merry is 2.5 years old now. When Merry was one year old she weighed 16.5 pounds. Should I be trying to get her down to that weight?

Luke went came to me at 17.1 # and I thought he was too skinny. His hair was really short and has been growing in since May. I let him go up to 20.7# before I realized I had been wrong in feeding him more food. He is down to 19.7 # after changing his food intake. I know he has more to go, but it is hard to tell how much, since his hair is only partly grown in and it sticks straight out on his sides right now and makes him look like a little puff ball. So I cannot tell by looking at him, if he has a waist. Eating 3/4 cup per day. -Today-he gets cut back to 1/2 cup per day. I just won't look at those eyes pleading at me for more food. :(

Wow Charleen, it's wonderful that you've got them losing weight! From what I've experienced, dogs are so much healthier and more active when they are lean. :)

I don't know the answer to your question about Merry's weight. Can you feel her ribs a little?

Awww...sometimes being a good mom isn't fun!! But it sounds like you're doing what's best for your pups, and not what's easiest. If they still seem hungry, perhaps you could add some healthy, low-fat/calorie food to their meals; green beans, perhaps. My two love carrots and will even scarf down ice cubes like they're some kind of special treat.

Mic said:
My two love carrots and will even scarf down ice cubes like they're some kind of special treat.

My two also think ice cubes are the greatest treat around. You should see each of them grab their ice cube and run to a safe place to chomp away on it :D

I'm so proud of you Charleen! i know it's not easy. keep up the good work!

I tried string beans tonight, in place of Luke's 1/4 cup of dry dog food for his evening meal and he liked it just fine. We'll see how things go and thanks for the idea.

Cathy - I can feel Merry's end of her rib cage as it moves into her tummy area. It is pretty pronounced, so maybe she is OK at her current weight.

Wow, my brothers cav loves ice cubes too. We thought it was pretty weird but obviously there's a few cavies out there that do it too.

Well done on the weight loss. Our boys aren't huge eaters but my brothers one is and they've had a big struggle keeping his weight down. I know how hard it is when they look at you like they're hungry all the time. You just want to give them something to eat but know you shouldn't. Good work.

Back