• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Windy bottom

crimperess

My cavi has had a windy bottom since christmas. She did have a little bit of lamb on Christmas day and a biscuit bone. She also bought up a bit of frothy bile two nights running (tuesday and wednesday). Her motions are a bit softer than usual but no more than usual. Still interested in food and water. She has pedigree small dog dried food with a bit of chub added. Play is still constant. :(

The living room is getting very thick with the methane gas! :yuk:

I have been thinking of giving her scrambled egg or rice and fish.

Any suggestions please?

It may have been the change in diet, lamb is rich isn't it but I don't know really. Would she eat a bit of dry food for a change to firm things up a bit?

You will never have smelled anything as strong or revolting as Izzy's emissions. The smell is very unusual and is probably a result of his medications.

Well to start, Pedigree isn't a really great food -- lots of things to bulk it out like grains -- and most chub is pretty poor quality food too -- poulty or meat 'derivatives' are probably the main ingredient along with vague poultry or meat 'meal' which are the lowest quality possible protein sources and include things like feathers, beaks, legs, and diseased and ill animals not fit for the human food chain but perfectly legal for animal food.

I bet she would greatly improve from an improved quality food -- if you are in the UK I'd recommend Burns, James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin; if in the US/Canada, there are tons of good foods to choose from.

For a wet food addition I'd recommend Butcher's Tripe in the UK or one of the top quality (eg non-supermarket) wets foods. In US many quality wet foods are available from pet shops.

Generally any food you can buy in a supermarket is of a cheaper quality with poor-ish protein sources and lots of cheap fillers that can cause wind.

Usually a dietary change will resolve problems with gassy dogs. :)

I like giving 'real' food and a quality dry. There are lots of diet suggestions for homemade meals in the Library section, caring for your Cavalier. You need a balanced diet; just feeding eggs or fish for example is not a complete regular diet for a dog. (y) But these things make a nice addition to a quality wet/dry commercial food or a balanced homecooked meal. :)

I would have said exactly what Karlin did. I think if you could change to a better quality food you would see a vast improvement on the wind front not to mention the other health benefits.

Thank you

Fern is now back to herself. I have taken her off the Pedigree now. So fingers crossed. Thanks for your help.

Back