• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kennel Cough Question

luvzcavs

Can dogs catch kennel cough from just walking in an area that other dogs have used ? (Obviously if the other dogs are infected)

For example, if I am walking the dogs and meet another dog who may be carrying kennel cough could they contract it if not vaccinated just from the regular sniffing ?

Or if they were walking the same route that another infected dog may have walked or urinated in could they catch it ?

I would never put my dogs in kennels but I am wondering if there are other everyday situations where they may be at risk of contracting kennel cough if not vaccinated ?

luvzcavs - I think this website covers the topic really well http://www.auntjeni.com/kennel.htm

Pippin gets the kennel cough vaccine & he still picked up kennel cough at doggy day care. The shot doesn't cover all strains. However, it was not a really bad cough, I believe, because of the the vaccine. It is like getting a cold. It passed in a week.

it's airborne so they can get it from casual contact. i don't think they get it from sniffing urine. I think they generally must be exposed to other dogs.

My litter got kennel cough and no one can figure out how. I didn't walk my other dogs outside, the only thing we were thinking of was the mobile vet or the photographer who came over. The Vet said it's more airborn than anything, it was more likely that a dog in the neighborhood could have had it and it flew in my yard and Teddy got it and then gave to the puppies!!! It was terrible because I had to send home puppies with a cough but they were being treated. My point is that it is extremely contagious, and like the flu shot, I just don't believe in bortadella shots.

My two girls picked it up at our Dog Training School Xmas Party and both went down with it on Xmas eve. A puppy came who was diagnosed with it a few days later, they had no contact with the puppy but were sitting within 6 feet for a couple of hours. Luckily it seems they had the strain that is helped by antibiotics and after 1 week on ab's Cinders is symptom free. Minnie still has slightly swollen glands and inflamed throat so is on ab for another week. Both of them stopped coughing after a couple of days on the ab's but have been snuffly and sneezing. Minnie also was sick a few times bringing up gungy flem!! I gave both of them cough medicine (Benlyn in UK) mixed with honey which they loved and it did help with the cough.
My vet is not happy about vaccinating for kc as he said it only covers one strain and there about 9 others that it doesn't cover.

Back