• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Almost obsessive licking.

Zippy

Mary Alice has settled down a lot in the last month but she loves to lick.

Anything......

If she can't lick someone, she licks the sofa, floor, rug, etc.

This doesn't go one endlessly, just in spurts but long spurts.

We've tried to distract, remove her etc but nothing stops her once she gets going......

Why is she doing this??

Is this from being abused, anxiety or ?? Tx.

Don't know the answer but Shelby can be an obsessive licker. She will get a toy and lick and lick on it. She also go to town on her bars on her crate, my foot if I let her, and whatever else.

I dont think the licking is a result of her history, unless you count genetic makeup as part of history!! Crazy obessive licking is a cavvie trait that many board members have mentioned in the past.

My Cedar is NUTS. However, you can train them NOT to lick. I abhor the licking on my skin; its just uncomfortable. I've always told Cedar "no lick" with me, and pulled my hand away or put her down when she licked. Once in a while a lick escapes her, but a quick "no lick" helps her regain control.

What does NOT help is when someone of the masculine persuasion in my family actually ENJOYS the licking and allows it to happen. :S DH likes it when she licks his elbows at night (he says its the best moisturizer he can get !) :grnyuk:

So when we go to bed, Cedar waits anxiously for DH to get into bed so that she can lick to her heart's content.

My Laci loves to lick my feet! Actually she likes to lick my hands too, but I don't allow it. I read in a Cavalier book that they like to lick especially when you have lotions on etc. I've noticed she does become almost hysterical to lick when I have lotion, or if I've just showered or washed my hands. I have seen her lick "things" too, but it's always been things where we have been, such as sofa, blanket etc. I may be wrong but I suspision that the licking of things is the "skin particles" and residue lotions and oils left behind from a human they like. I've never seen her lick somthing that a human had not touched in some way.

Nean

Hmmmmm....doesn't that sound familiar. Boo can get obsessive...with Daddy....but not with Mommy....he knows better. We learned our lession and Punkin' is much more controlled.

I hate the feeling when lily tries to lick me. My son loves it but i stop her staraight away. When i pick her up for a cuddle if she can get to my armpits she will.. :yuk: must like my vasaline intensive deodorant.... :badgrin: she'll go to the area i spray my perfume to.. :sl*p: tinker, dosent she realise how much that costs.. ;)

Zippy

Both my boys go nuts with hugs and kisses once you have been out and are coming home. But I haven't noticed them licking other than this.

Even if it is only running our to the garage, I am not keen on having my face licked but my husband does'nt seem to mind it. icon_whistling icon_whistling icon_whistling icon_whistling

I think some lick and some don't. Harry doesn't, Digby does, anything, everything, anytime. I can stop him though so it is not an obsession just something he enjoys.
It is also a form of acceptance into the pack I think, like cleaning each other and stuff. It cracks me up when I lay on the floor with dogs sometimes if they start to clean each others eyes when finished they come over to me and do a very thorough job of cleaning mine. Its so sweet but like sandpaper on my eyelids after a while. Ouch !

Both of mine lick........ mostly when you've just had a shower, they hang round like vultures when you're in the shower waiting to pounce! :lol:

They also lick when I leave them at grannys on the way to work, :lol: when they give mummy kisses so she goes earn some pennies to buy the boys more toys! :D (yes, I know I'm mad :D )

Sam licks everything too, the couch, de bed, the table, the walls,...!! Each time we see him doing that we say 'no' and distract him with one of his toys, that allways helps, he's doing it less and less now, one day he'll probably stop, and he'll lick just the things that taste good :)

Back