• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Asking to go potty, yay, we cracked it!

*Pauline*

"go potty"!!! I sound American saying that but it sounds polite! Dylan finally found a way to get me to open the back door. I sratched the door a couple of times before he went out and now he started doing this today. Yay! Only now he keeps asking to go out to pull up my plants. he gets a treat to intice him back inside so no wonder he keeps doing it!

Oh I do love my clever dog, isn't it a joy when they learn new things :D

it is especially potty time.. good job i'm not deaf as sometimes lily just sits near the door & i have to spot her. If shes wanting a poo she seems to make a noise but if the doors closed she'll go to the other one we dont use much & just sit & stare at it. Its a great feeling, i didnt think i'd get to this stage so quickly.... shes taht clever i'm sure shes gonna speak one day!!! icon_whistling

*Pauline*, thanks for the chuckle!

Going potty means a whole different thing in the UK!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very glad the pup "understands" the American translation!! ;D

well its the 1st dog weve ever had.... & pretty sure me & hubby & even the
kids have done pretty well so far...

lily does sort of ask for things especially when i'm munching, she frightens the life out of me barking when i'm least expecting it... then her little winges... sounds human to me....

:badgrin: :badgrin: :lol:

Teddy scratches by the back door for 'out' but has removed layers of plaster. If you ignore him, he sometimes wees inside, even if he was out only 5 minutes ago. If you let him out, he often runs to the end of the garage, then comes back in. I've started closing the livingroom/kitchen door, to keep him from the back door, so now, he's started on the livingroom door, which is losing its staining and varnish. This is a dog who was toilet trained to 'go do' on paper, at 9 weeks. He's obviously going backwards, or , more likely , has us where he wants us.

YAY!! How exciting. ;) Kosmo still rarely tells me when he has to go. Like I said on another thread it usually consists of "Kosmo, do you have to go potty outside?" and he will stop what he's doing and run to the door.

I do have to warn you guys though - when Kosmo hit about 6 months old he seemed to have forgotten EVERYTHING I had ever taught him. It lasted for a while - I called it the terrible twos!! My trainer was saying that a LOT of dogs go through this phase so don't solely count on them to let you know when it's time to go outside because one time they might "forget" to tell ya! Good luck! :flwr:

arasara said:
I do have to warn you guys though - when Kosmo hit about 6 months old he seemed to have forgotten EVERYTHING I had ever taught him. It lasted for a while - I called it the terrible twos!!
Ditto. Murphy did the same couldn't understand what we'd done wrong, like Kosmo he doesn't make a sound to go out. He just sits and stares at you so if you miss the look there can be a parcel left for you :yuk:

I have been trying to figure that out all out myself. Lily will go if you ask her and take her out, but to tell you, forget it! We are working VERY hard at getting her to tell us. I am working hard at it. I got lots of great ideas on the forum and am knocking them out one by one. :)

Ok, now i am really curious. What does "go potty" mean in the UK?? (Please forgive my lack of knowledge on words from "across the pond" but I am relatively new to them. icon_blshing )

Pauline, that's wonderful that little Dylan is already letting you know when he needs to go out! Yay! b*n*n* Riley still does not clearly let me know, like many others I have to notice him sitting by the door. Maybe I can teach him the scratching thing, however he'll probably do it just to go out and chase the birds and squirrels too. :sl*p:
BTW, Dylan is just too cute! I love the new Avatar, what an adorable pic. :lotsaluv:

joanna said:
*Pauline* said:
Only now he keeps asking to go out to pull up my plants.

HAHA Get used to it!!! My garden is done for :lol:

Yup that sounds about right :lol: When we sorted out our garden here, hubby built raised planters and has also put 'fencing' around them... Maxx being Maxx has realised that he can put his head under the fencing and still pull up the plants :roll:

At least he asks to go out - even if he has trashed most of the doors in the house :roll: Charlie rarely asks to go out and just pees where he fancies - hence I take him out at least every hour!

LauraD said:
Ok, now i am really curious. What does "go potty" mean in the UK?? (Please forgive my lack of knowledge on words from "across the pond" but I am relatively new to them. icon_blshing )

To "go potty" means to go mad or crazy. "I'm potty over you" means I'm crazy about you.

Really?? Thanks Pauline, wow that does have a very different meaning! :lol: It's so interesting the differences in language we have, sometimes i guess things get "lost in translation". :lpy: :D

*Pauline* said:
LauraD said:

To "go potty" means to go mad or crazy. "I'm potty over you" means I'm crazy about you.

Okay... that makes it funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i think that teaching ur dog that trick is one of the most important to teach them!! we were sooo lucky that when we got cookie she knew how to do this straight away and whenever she needs the toilet she scratches the door and at night adds a little bark to it aswell as if to say 'hurry up!!!'. also when she's unwell and was being sick she'd scratch the door so whe wudnt be sick on the carpet

Now that is good that she asks to go out to be sick. Sometimes we don't hear Dylan so the bells on a rope would be good. He isn't totally reliable of course but it's a great start considering he is only 18 weeks.

I just went to the kitchen to get my calendar to work out how old Dylan was and came back eating a cake and forgot about the calendar :roll:

Back