• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update after Charlies eye op

seren

Hello! and Happy New Year. Sorry I havent posted for a while but its been a mad few weeks!! Have been back and forth to the vets for reviews but took Charlie for his final review this morning and they have said that his vision has been lost in his left eye poor little fella :(
but they think he will adjust quickly. There was a lot of damage to the optical nerve and scarring on the cornea but his eye looks fine you cant tell.
Here is a photo just after surgery VEIW WITH CAUTION may upset.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/seren1/eye.jpg

And this I took yesterday
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/seren1/eyebetter.jpg

The vet thinks it is unlikely for this to happen again (thank goodness!) and it was just very unfortunate. Its still a mystery to how it happened he had no other injuries so they dont think he fell off something. I dont know but am just glad he is doing much better and thank you for all your support :flwr:

Seren & Charlie XxXx

Poor little guy. That is so weird, and not knowing how it happened. I am so glad he is doing better. Hugz to you and Charlie form Lily and me.

We had a jr. handler here who showed her champion male cavalier. He too had this happen to his eye. I believe he ran into something and the stress of the crash popped his eye from its socket. This was years ago and all I remember was that they spent 1000's of dollars trying to save his vision. With the loss of vision in one eye-- dogs still have good vision. I believe the eye dr. said 70% (because vision in binocular vision overlap). I hope all is well. Sandy

I'm sorry to hear Charlie's vision in the left eye won't recover. I also want to say the vet did a WONDERFUL job repairing the damage and you would never know he had had such a horrific accident. I'm always amazed at how our little furbabies heal and recover so quickly.

Best of luck to you all and give Charlie lots of kisses and hugs from me and Chester!

-Monica & Chester

It's wonderful to hear that he's ok. We're sending cav hugs and kisses his way. :hug: :lotsaluv:

Thanks for updating us. I was wondering how he was doing. Sounds like he's going to be fine without vision in that eye. Looks like the vet did a super job fixing him up. Just an unlucky freak accident. Glad he's feeling and doing better though.

glad to hear things are so much better now. charlie won't notice any problem. you have really been through a lot, sounds like you're getting through it now and you have great vet care. Happy new year :flwr:

It looks great! Wow, they used a reall button?? did they cut it off your coat? lol!

but seriously, it looks fabulous. So glad they were able to save the eye, if not the vision. He will do fine, I'm sure. :)

Oh Seren

Bless you sweetie, I can just imagine how traumatic this must of been for you and Charlie.

The Vet did a amazing job, bless him.

I am so sorry he has lost his vision, thinking of you and sending :hug: from me and the boys.

Actually, I can't believe how clean it looked in the first pic. Your Vet did a wonderful job - an used a real button too!

So glad that Charlie has actually kept his eye but sorry he's lost the sight in it. Hope he copes OK, bless him xxxxx

The ACTUAL button blew my mind!!! At first I thought it was a translation thing!!! icon_whistling I am amazed at how good he looks! Poor baby, snuggles from across the pond. :flwr:

The button thing suprised me too! When they said they put two buttons on I thought it would be like a medical pin thing or something not a button from a coat!! :sl*p:
One problem I have now though is matting behind his ears, because he had the collar on for three weeks it has matted the hair. I gave him bath last night and left conditioner on his ears but its terrible trying to comb them out! Any tips?
:drivecar: Think we will go to the pet shop see what combs they have that would help.

Our groomer uses a stripping comb like the kind you use on terriers behind the ears if there are little bunches of matted hair, according to my hubby. I have not seen her technique in action, though it does a lovely job.

Okay thanks will go have a look in the pet shop (any excuse to shop!! :lol: ) I havent got one of those combs.

My suggestion is to sit and try to work out the mats with your fingers and a comb. Chester gets them behind his ears too and he CAN'T STAND me pulling on them with a comb so I'll put his ears up on top of his head in a scrunchie to keep them up and out of the way and I will work on the mats slowly and try not to pull on him too much. Sometimes I'll spray some leave-on conditioner on the mats and tease the mess apart until I get to the central little "mat nugget" and that bit will often just pull out easily enough. Keep in mind, that while I'm pulling out the "mat nugget" I'll be holding the base of the hairs with my other hand so it won't hurt him when I pull it out.

Hopefully my explanation makes sense! If worse comes to worse you can always cut out the worst of the mats in order to save the poor baby more irritation. The hair always grows back!

Give him big kisses from me!

Thanks for the tip and will send him kisses too. He is looking a bit wild with frizzy ears at the minute! but will do a bit at a time, he has lots of mini "nuggets" so will probably take a while to get his ears nice and smooth again. Guess what i will be doing this evening.... :lol:

Wishing everyone a great weekend

Charlie & Seren xXxXx

A coat King Mars Comb will get rid of those nasty knots too, not sure if you can buy those in pet stores or not.

How is he doing. ???

Nice to see he's doing so much better! What a weird idea to put a button there, but hey, if it helps! I couldn't help you with the hair, I'm sorry! Maybe your groomer has some tips?

He is doing okay he is a little shy on his walks though and was startled by a few things this morning but im sure he will get used to it. Around the house though he is fine and still runs after his toys and follows me about. Im just glad the vet managed to save his eye and to look at him now you cant really tell anything happened (just need to wait for hair to grow back properly round his eye)
With his ears though I think I will take him to the groomer because I tried to detangle them but not having great success! Charlie loves all the attention he gets from the groomer, he always goes to the same lady so it would be a nice treat for him.

Charlie & Seren xXxXx

Back