• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vision query

Pavane

This is going to sound very odd to many of you given where you live...

But today we had a major dolphin show in front of the house. Low tide and lots of dolphin herding fish into our canal, fish jumping, dolphins leaping, even pelicans swooping down to get the fishy bits. I carried Barkleigh under my arm and rushed him to the seawall. He stuck his nose in the wind (it was windy) and looked around, but paid no attention to the commotion.

Some other days we have manatee by the seawall, but they are more docile. Still, he is not interested.

I wonder how far he sees or if these things don't interest him because there is no smell associated.

Also, when I had him in puppy classes (which were outside in an area which is used for a doggie day care...hence lots of smells), I would go to the far side and call him. ALL the other dogs ran to their owners--and Barkleigh is well trained to "COME"--but he would wander off course like he did not see me or was more interested in the odors (although he was not sniffing the ground).

Maybe it is a puppy attention thing. Any ideas how to check eyesight? His vet checks have been fine and I guess glasses are out of the question.

If I ever can do it, I'll get al photo of Barkleigh and a sea critter (ha!) in the same shot.

I lived in Florida very briefly when I was 20 yrs old. As a city-chick I was amazed when I saw Dolphins in the Banana River. I lived in a little community called Indian Harbor Beach, along A1A, not too far from Coco Beach and the Space Center. I've been to the Keys too. The wild life is amazing. A fond memory of mine is a day I spent sitting out on a low wooden pier in the middle of the Banana River, dolphins jumping all around. They got so close I was nervous a few times, but was too mesmerized to move. Lots of pelicans down there, gators, and I even saw armadillos!

I've noticed in my cavs that there is a limit to how far they can see, or perhaps how far they care to see. I don't think they can see as far as I can, but they also just may not be interested in anything that far away.

We had a deer in the yard at 20 yards-- my brothers gspointer (bird dog) saw it-- didn't care. I thought it was odd-- Sandy

I think it is a drive level. We have a large pond in front of our house that large cranes and ducks frequent constantly (and you are from Florida, so you also know those funny long-legged white birds with the long noses that flock by the hundreds and eat in your lawn). Wesley goes ballistic every time he see one (much less 50) birds cross our yard, and Cody could care less. He trots over to see what the commotion is about, then goes back to whatever he is doing.

Back