PDA

View Full Version : *** WARNING!!! Spoofed Cavaliertalk discussion list!!!! ***

Karlin
4th January 2007, 12:13 AM
One of our members has receieved the following email -- this is NOT from me and has nothing to do with this board and looks like a scam.

PLEASE DO NOT CLICK THROUGH TO THEIR WEBSITE.

It almost certainly has embedded malicious code and may ask you for your password to this site.

I do not know how they have been able to send mail but am putting extra security onto the board immediately.

Hello

This is the automatic list management system for the cavaliertalk@coollist.com mailing list. This is a FREE service.

Before you can participate in discussions or receive postings to this group, we must confirm that you actually want to receive them.

A short description of the cavaliertalk list:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A dog list for Cavalier King Charles Spaniel owners to share information about owning and living with a Cavalier including health and grooming issues, breeding, training and showing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you would like to participate in this mailing list, please visit the following web page on the web:

[page deleted]

Karlin
4th January 2007, 12:20 AM
This is very important: IF you have clicked through and entered your password for this site, IMMEDIATELY log on and change your password or let me know so that I can change it. Someone may be able to hack the site by gaining access through people's accounts.

Nancy
4th January 2007, 12:37 AM
Don't worry.....this is the Hoflin list...they named it Cavalier talk and invited anyone on the list, there was a post on it. They were having server problems. I did write Doreen and tell her that was the name of your list too, it's probably just a coincidence. It's not a malicious website at all.

lorin
4th January 2007, 12:52 AM
Hoflin would have a Hoflin address though...

Karlin
4th January 2007, 12:57 AM
She cannot possibly want to use the same name -- it would ruin their independent identity -- also I have written to her to explain that people already have found it disturbing to get anonymous invites to join a list people think is using my board's name or may be connected to my board -- surely they want their own identity? They will be totally invisible otherwise -- I get nearly 20,000 visits per month to this board and have over 1000 members; they will have zero profile on any of the search engines. It would be a shame for them to lose their independent identity.

Why are they moving a Hoflin list to Coollist anyway?

My Wesley
4th January 2007, 12:59 AM
They should name it Cavalier Chat or something.

judy
4th January 2007, 09:21 AM
sheesh, i'm sure glad it wasn't hackers..a year or so ago, i saw EZboard get almost wiped out by hackers, the theory was that it was a disgruntled former employee.