• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

2 cavs.....

lily

hubby reckons we'll eventually own another cav aswell as lily.... if i got one i would like a one from a rescue. Its way of i know but i guess theirs may pro's having another dog mate for lily but are they many con's if any??

Have many of you who have more than 1, got the 2nd older than a pup well less than 1yr old?? if so was the introductory process hard & how did you manage etc....

thanks

We got Izzy when she was 12 weeks old. Spencer was 8 months old. I have no complaints on how our experience went. Their personalities complemented each other and I know Spencer was glad to have a playmate. :)

Good luck in your search for your new family member :flwr:

We got Alfie at 8 weeks when Harvey was 10 months old, it took about a week for Harvey to accept him and he sulked a bit but they are now best buddies.

Older dogs are almost always pretty easy to introduce with this breed -- usually not too much different from a puppy (indeed a lot of older dogs are not too thrilled with a puppy initially, especially young ones, though others love them!

It depends more on the individual dog, really.

One caution: it is very, very rare to have dogs under a year come into rescue anywhere -- they are almost always at least a year old, as you can see from the Lucky Star site, petfinder, or the dogs I post on this site. I've only had two or three of maybe 35 dogs that were younger than a year, and only once a puppy -- that was a special circumstance.

We introduced Willow, a rescue, to Cedar. Willow was just over a year old, and Cedar was a month or so shy of her first birthday. We introduced them to each other on neutral territory, though I dont think that step was really all that necessary. Within 24 hours they were cuddle buddies, and with 48 hours they were partners in crime. :roll:

Having two is great for the dogs; the companionship they have is unparalleled and it is clear that our girls really enjoy each other.

The negatives are mostly monetary. It costs double to feed and vet two than it does one (and pay double insurance!). As far as work goes, I wouldnt say that two is particularly more work. Individual experience will vary of course. I'd say that I spend more time checking up on the girls now than I did when Cedar was a single. Willow has more naughty pleasures-- she's a shredder. Cedar, on the other hand, will sit and look out the window watching for chase subjects. <Shrugs> Different personalities will require different action, but that's not a situation created because there are two dogs.

all I'd say is that the rescue may bring some of its own baggage, depending on its background so may need as much (probably more) time and patience than a puppy.

Cailean loves every cavalier (in fact any dog!) that comes into his home and I'm sure Lily would be the same. :)

We got 2 new little rescues (3 or 4 yrs old) on Thanksgiving Day 2006. Honey is 12 yrs old and the first 2 days or so she was not very impressed but now she is fine with them. Being a bit older she does like her "quiet time" but is happy (most of the time) to cuddle up to one or both of them.

You are working with the unknown when you take a rescue on. You could get the most angelic dog ever or you could have one that requires a lot of work and attention.

We were very lucky with Molly + Bella as they are very well adjusted dogs. We are still working on toilet training and have to keep a constant eye on them. They are into everything and we have to be very careful what we leave lying about!

I find trying to train 2 at the same time hard work but it is very rewarding and the love and devotion you receive in return can't be described. It has also given Honey a new lease of life - she is far more active now and has even started chewing bones again, which she hasn't done for years.

As moviedust said there are financial issues but if you are willing and able to take on a 2nd dog/rescue my advice would be to go for it!

well thanks for all the lovely replies....i appreciate i have loads to consider & wont jump into any situations lightly. Like i said initially this is a long time in the future decision so who knows. Just wanted some ideas.

I'll tell you what though, housetraining a 2nd dog is so much easier .... they learn from your existing dog :)

Bradley and Topsy housetrained like a dream, as did Kevin (who was used to having to wee in the house in his previous home, when his owner became ill).

Back