• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Alternatives

estertje

I read about DaveD's Holly and he says she's on antibiotics, well I have some questions about that! I'm not such a fan of antibiotics and pills and all the chemicals vets (and doctors!) prescribe. I think they're way to drastic and I think it's better to help nature's way with what we find there, instead of chemicals that could have a lot of side effects and allergic reactions.
I would love to learn more about homeopathy for dogs and Bach remedies for doggies.
Is someone using these? Where could I get some more information? I'm a bit scared the vets thinks I'm questioning his work.

**** DISCLAIMER IMO!! ****

Just be careful with holistic. I had a friend who went to a holistic "doctor" and later found out that he had no medical training at all!! (she didn't do her research well enough). He was using just the training he got in herbal something or other. Basically, he only had his undergrad. He was giving her stuff that just shouldn't be taken and should definitely not be taken together! There has been tons of studies about ginseng giving people heart problems and when she was rushed to the hospital because they thought she was having a heart attack, all the truth about this "doctor" came out. The doctor who treated her at the hospital (a cardiologist) said ginseng can be dangerous when taken daily and that all those energy drinks laced with it are really not good for you either (she loved Snapple and such that were infused with whatever it is).

After this experience, she decided to find a doctor that used both prescribed medicines and holistic approach. Just remember, holistic can be your first thing to try, but sometimes it just comes down to the medications! Take it from the chick who is on synthetic thyroid hormone... it is saving my life!!

So just do your research there are plenty of doctors and vets out there that like to take a holistic approach to medicine. JUST PLEASE... when in doubt as to see their degree!!

Hubby's 2 Cents:
My hubby (3rd year med student) would like me to remind you that no medical advice should be taken to heart unless a REAL medical doctor gives it to you. He says that any doctor, holistic or not, will prescribe antibiotics if needed, they save lives, but will see if other avenues can be explored first. Recent research has shown that holistic approaches to ear infections in children have just as high of a success rate, and that only ear aches that can't be treated holistically should require antibiotics. He (yes, he agrees with some holistic approaches) says that there are plenty of holistic Md's out there.

Holly is only 12 weeks old. Puppies this young can go downhill in just a few hours if they have vomiting or diarrhea. It is really in the puppy's best interest to take a very proactive approach when they are ill.

thanks! I'm sure it's not a miracle thing and that in some cases antibiotics indeed work better and should be taken but not for little things like a cough or a little stomach ache or a headache. I'll be doing my research very carefully and will not trust just anyone who says to be an expert!

Most doctors (speaking as one myself) and vets do not prescribe antibiotics unless they are necessary. There was a bit of a trend to overprescribe antibiotics but that is certainly a thing of the past generally. We try to avoid unnecessary medications but in some cases they are definitely necessary and save lives of people and animals. Remember as well that conventional medications are subject to stringent safety testing before used by vets and doctors. These are tests that are legally required, however alternative meds do not have to be tested as stringently.
And also some of those little symptoms you mention can be indicative of bacterial infections that need antibiotis - especially a cough which can indicate a pneumonia, or in our little Coopers case a tracheitis. He had a bit of a cough and bringing up some phlegm. Otherwise he was absolutely fine. Saw the vet and he has an inflammation of his windpipe. He's on antibiotics and within a day is getting better. This makes it easier for him to eat, drink and generally is happier.

Back