• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hogan just ate a hole in my wall !

Maxwell&me

Hoping for some help, I ran out for a few minutes to get some paint samples for my kids wall, while DH and Daughters were outside playing basketball....and I guess Hogan was upset to be left alone in the house, so he ate a hole in the wall next to the garage door :roll:

He actually Tore the wallpaper off, pushed in a sizable amount of dry wall and was licking himself a hole to the outside.....Im sure that will be great for his tummy! ( I did call the vet, and I dont think he ingested much...vet said to watch him- currently he is in a time out in his kennel...he knows what he did was wrong...Ive never scolded him before and he totally got I wasnt happy with him...or the hole for that matter)

Any of you have dogs that eat walls? :roll:
Id like to be able to leave him alone in the house without locking him up all the time...for short periods of course...but jeeze, Im unsure of how to keep this from happening again..... :?

7 months, so Im assuming that he can be trained not to Demo my house :D
Little Bugger, I still cant believe it~ Im thinking he was just so unhappy to not be with us that he figured he just lick his way outside...... :roll:

Oh bless him. Think yourself lucky to be so loved and adored that he can't stay without you ;)

Did you leave a radio on for him or anything? I always do when I need to go out, I find it soothes them. Maybe try a DAP diffuser to reassure him, it might help.

I'll bet he went mad when you got home? Poor little love - sorry about your wall as well.....

Tucker ate a small hole way down near the floor next to my stove. Which just happens to be right next to the doggy gate at the top of the basement stairs. I was in the basement at the time doing laundry. He also chewed the woodwork on the door frames. I put a brass bell on the floor in front of the hole next to the stove. He never bothered it again. I placed a wine tube in front of the one doorway molding that he took a big chunk out of. A friend told me to try putting tobasco sauce on the wood, but when I did, that is when Tucker really went to town on it. I think I seasoned it for him. Fortunately Tucker seems to have grown out of this phase. I guess it's time to take the wine tube and the bell away and start sanding and painting.

At 7 months, it sounds like the pup isnt ready to have free run of the house unsupervised. If you do not want to use a kennel, an xpen will keep the dog away from tasty walls while still giving him room to move around.

Oh Lordy.....Can't wait for that to start. It seems if I remember correctly, my Lhasa chewed until she was almost 2! So far Lily has been really good about just chewing her toys. Has he ever chewed furniture or shoes, etc before?

I remember when Max was younger he pulled a loose piece of wallpaper off the wall and proceed to eat it, making quite a mess for himself. I'm sure it was just attention seeking and he was fine, but I'm glad we caught him in time, hate to think he might have done what your little fur baby has done - chewing walls! The neighbours wouldn't have been too pleased.

Sounds like my Casey (otherwise known as Jaws). He has eaten a hole in the wall, my bed post, gnawed my dresser, several phone cords, etc. When he was a pup (up to a year) we confined him to a very large crate in the kitchen when we went out. We still give him a bully stick or a kong with frozen stuff to keep him busy when we go out. He has finally started to mellow out at 17 mos. old.

I want to make it VERY CLEAR~ We do kennel train Hogan, I personally think its HIGHLY important when you have a puppy to Kennel train.

However, I have been letting Hogan stay out of the kennel for short periods of time when we are not home. We have a long ranch home that has a divide down the center...so 2700 square feet is cut to about 800 square feet when we are not home. I guess my major concern is having a repeat incident now that hes gotten a taste for dry wall....or perhaps wallpaper paste :yikes

O.K. Your all not going to believe this, as Im sitting here in the dinette...room of the offence, right next to me he rips another peice of wallpaper off....in the same spot!

Im thinking hes just gotten a taste for the stuff and Im dousing it with bitter apple in the next few minutes...( I may need a fresh bottle, mine is pretty old) Im thinking this has NOTHING to do with seperation now that hes gotten the hang of it :sl*p:

Hes currently back in his kennel after several stern warnings that hes a naughty boy...Hopefully the wall paper remover is only going to be around for a day or two....*sigh* or perhaps I could hire him out

icon_whistling

So I can save for my next cavalier....... :D

I think its just typical puppy over 6 mths under 2 yrs behaviour.
Our 3 yrs old lab was the picture perfect pet if I was home. But in the following situations she reverted mighty quick to a 6mth puppy:

1. kids were running around playing with friends over, she was right behind them and eventually would find trouble - I swear she just wanted to fit in and run around silly like them!
2. If I went out for any amount of time - separation axiety, she would find the first garbage can and rummage through it - then the next...
3. Night time

We stopped using the crate at 6mths, but used a main fl laundry rm as her bedroom with a child gate. Her bed was in there, food dish - it was her room. If the kids got excited with friends over, i put her in her room and for times I went out (no matter how little a period). And as mentioned bed time.

Other than those times she was free to roam the house. They say it takes a good yr, and double that for a lab as they are slow to mature. Maybe just start with smaller areas when left alone like the kitchen or laundry room.

Our lab was totally housebroken from 6mths, but even at 5, 6, 7 yrs... if I left her out of the laundry room at night she had an early morning mess. Odd as she never ever did in the day time. As long as she was in her room (which was large) at night, she waited, even if we slept in.

My personal experience is, dogs like familar routines for in uncertain situations.

15 years ago we had a Brittney that did the same thing in our mud room. She wouldn't leave the hole alone-- but she never did it again once the hole was patched. She was under a year old. Sandy

I think this is pretty typical puppy behavior. When Cupcake was a couple months old (and only about 4 pounds at the time) she literally ate a hole in the wall while I was outside chatting with my neighbor. I was absolutely stunned that she had done that in such a short amount of time (little stinker). So, after fixing the wall, everything that fell into a certain height range was sprayed with bitter apple stuff. Eventually she realized that all those toys I bought her were probably a more suitable outlet for her energy. :p

Now she's a little over a year old and for the most part the chewing has stopped (though she does enjoy eating the ends off my sofa pillows.) *sigh*

We live in an apartment here in Ohio, and we scoped the place out before the rental company did any "fixes" on it. We were so disturbed because the previous owners had a dog that peed all over the carpet, tore huge holes in the carpet and around every window and door a HUGE chunk of drywall was missing!! Now the two girls that previously lived in our place had a large dog (not suited for apartment living) and were gone about 12 or more hours a day... which would explain the dog wanting to "get out" of the small space they placed him in.

Long story short... our maintence didn't do that great of "fix" because the patch jobs are horrible and the scratch marks on the window woodwork are just painted over.

I have a concern about Cicero smelling that dog's mess (they replaced the carpet and padding but I am sure the stain goes all the way to the base) will he want to "mark" those spots? Can he be trained to ignore it? Or has my obsessive compulsive cleaning been successful?

As far as dogs putting holes in walls, they just want to be included, and if they can't be and you can't be around to include them, then maybe it is best to crate them... ??? Just IMO!

Whenever we were away from the house, we kept our cav pups in separate x-pens in the kitchen until they were well over a year old. Then we let them have the run of the kitchen, and they were fine.

I had raised my maltese mix puppy in the same kitchen 15 years earlier, and didn't know about x-pens. She ripped a bit of wallpaper and left little teethmarks on the baseboards.

Izzy CANNOT be trusted to be left out when I am gone, even for a minute. She is Little Miss Destructive. I have crate trained her from day one, and she would sooner die than pee or poop in the house. However, it does not phase her to chew baseboards, tear holes in seat cushions, pop buttons of the same seat cushions (I have a beautiful window seat with suede cushions...correction: I HAD a beautiful window seat with suede cushions), etc. Therefore, no matter if I am just running to get gas or toilet paper, she gets put in her crate. Luckily she does not mind it.

As others have said-it's a puppy thing, though only Joly of mine did it.
Hewas lying in a basket,w hich normally only Izzy used and was enjoying a chew. However, the chewing sounded a bit odd, so I looked at him and noticed that, in fact, he was chewing the wall behingd the basket. His behaviour wasn't obvious, because he was snuggled down in the beanbag.

The wall is plasterboard with emulsion paint, but he must have taken purchase on the slightly raised edge where two boards meet. Over a few days, he then sneaked back for a quick nibble, but soon gave up. His breeder said that she had had dogs do the same and had been told, by a builder, that certain wall coverings contain fish byproducts and so are quite attractive to gnaw on.

We absolutely swear by the x-crate that we keep in the kitchen. It is the perfect size to hold Quincy's "lovey" bed, food, water, and toy box. That is where he goes when we leave the house to run to the store, or whatever, if he is not going with us. Mr. Q. goes in on his own to take a nap during the day, and accepts "time-outs" in there, if we feel he is being a bit too active with the granddaughters, ages 9 and 6. It is located in a spot where he can also keep an eye on all of us. :) Now this is off subject, but I have to brag a bit. Today, with company in the house, and several of us upstairs, he ran downstairs and barked to be let out to go potty. (Instead of leaving a little "you know what in the master bedroom.") Jeez..........we love this dog of ours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back