• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

2 puppies share a crate?

jens6pack

hi I posted my intro in introductions. I got my 2 boys on Tuesday night. I went to get one but long story short I came home with 2. I have 1 crate (rather large and has a thing to make is smaller) My question is should I get them each their own crate? Would it make training them easier? I notice that Charlie waits for Peanut before he does anything. I am wondering if Charlie would be more "independant" if he had time without peanut. BTW Charlie is 16 weeks and Peanut is 10 weeks.

Thanks,
Jennifer

We have alot in common. We got our first baby the first of December and then her half-sister (they share the same dad) 3 weeks later. We had planned on having two anyway, and it just worked out that we would get them both in December. THey are 15 1/2 weeks and 17 weeks now.
Everything we have been told was to have separate crates and food dishes; also to train them separately. The reason was so that each could be independant of the other and they would be more attached to their humans than each other.
We have their crates side by side at night in our bedroom. During the day, they share a pen area will be about 4X6 when completely opened. We do have to feed them in their crates as they were getting very distracted by eath other, and we have one that would eat her meal and then politely work her way into the other's dish!
We have been taking them out separately as they again, distract each other from doing their business, although we are beginning to take them out together every now and again to get them used to being out together.
They get along great and there has been no fighting at all. They prefer to sleep all over each other in a big lump!
It has definitely been alot of work, and we are nowhere near finished, but they have been such a joy and we would not trade them for the world!

I have three sets of siblings here. Each set has "other" favorite dogs (not their siblings). All my dogs prefer people to other dogs. I would mix it up-- sometimes together, sometimes apart. Each dog gets its own private time with people. There is no hard and fast rules-- do what works, if it starts not to work, be flexible. jmo, Sandy

Hey Jennifer, just wondering did any of your six kids have something to do with you going for one puppy and coming home with two?

cavtiny cavtiny

We here are very much believers in crates. It's my opinion that they should eat separately in crates. Should also sleep seperately at night in their own crates, at least in the beginning. Basically, I think it's important to get them comfortable being in a crate.

Once that happens, do just what Sandy said: mix it up a bit and do whatever works. Even if they sleep with you, every once in a while it wouldn't hurt to crate them overnight to be sure they are still OK. That way if circumstances make it necessary for them to be crated, it's just one less stress for them to deal with.

I have two (actually there's an old one in the garage, so three) crates. If I go out, the two older boys are left free, but Teddy and Joly are crated together, unless there has been any trouble between them, Teddy is grumpy, or either has anything sore eg ear. However, for feeding the two older ones are free, but Teddy and Joly, who are greedy , are fed in separate crates.

Back