• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Not eating.........

merlinsmum

I was at the Vets yesterday as Merlin had not eaten properly since new years eve.

On new years eve the boys were at Grandmas - Merls didn't eat so well ( he never does if I'm not there) - not too worried
New years day we were at Grandma's with quite a lot of people coming and going - didn't eat much, just the chicken on top - not too worried again - thought it was just all the comotion
Tuesday am - Merls was sick with bile 3 times - I thought it was probably because he hadn't eaten
Tuesday night expected him to be ravenous............no, managed a couple of pieces of cheese as his tummy was growling - thought perhaps him being sick in the morning had just left him feeling a bit low
Wednesday - by this time I was starting to get a little worried - although he was a bit down he was drinking and still playing with Oakley - I managed to spoon feed him about a 1/3 of his tea - at least he had something in him.
Thursday - again I thought he would be ravenous - Grandma had said he's tried to eat Oakley's beakfast in the morning so thought - yay! :D but no, :( he managed just the chicken of the top (which is basically just a taste)

So off to the vets I went, he had very bunged up glands :grnyuk: , so she cleared them gave him a shot of antibiotics as his temp was 39 degrees. So we got home and he ate a full bowl of food and 2 minutes later I found him on the kitchen table were I'd put the empty bowl looking for more - so another bowl was given and that too went in a flash!

What a clever dog ;) .... Not eating because he didn't want to poo cos it hurt!
If only they could talk I'd have had him at the vets sooner.......

Poor Merlin! So glad he's on the mend now, and that you caught it before he had an abscess which is very serious. :flwr:

Glad that Merlin is doing better with the eating.

It might be a good idea to keep his poops quite solid to empty the glands.

Our Charley had "gland probs", they abcessed and he had to have them removed.

It was a truly rotten op ...... he took a long time to recover, lost a lot of weight and I always felt bad that it couldn't have been handled a different way.

If it ever starts with another doggie, I'll be feeding them some bran as it helps to both soften and harden any stool.

Good luck with Merlin, it's very painful....poor baby! :flwr:

Poor Merlin :hug: If ever Maxx goes off his food I suspect gland problems :( It must be so painful for them, Kirsty :( Glad he's perked up now and is feeling better again :flwr:

I must say that since Maxx has been totally on Burns food (with only 'my' additions of homecooked stuff) he's had absolutely no problems with his glands at all :)

This is the first time for Merlin...... but he has been eating Oakley's puppy food so I guess thats the cause. On the subject of food you will be pleased to know that I have binned the bakers and now have Royal Canin - we got some samples and they both like it. In fact Okaley hass refused to eat the Bakers puppy this morning so its a good job I'm off to pick up the RC supplies this afternoon :D

Oh big :hug: 's to Merlin what a clever boy he is, glad to hear he's feeling more like himself now too.

Oscar had an infected glad over Christmas and was feeling pretty sorry for himself :xfngr: they're both on the mend now.

Poor little fella!! So glad you found out what was wrong and got him taken care of before it developed into something worse. Poor little guy...didn't eat cause it hurt too much coming out the other end....Ouch!!

Such a smart boy. BIG :hug:

Hope all is back to normal now. I am glad you posted this as in the same situation I would never have made the connection and not thought to check the glands. Although it is hard for me to believe my 2 would ever go off their food :roll:

Glad Merlin is doing better! Apparently weetabix and green beans can help too. Also, if you have a deli food store near you, you might be able to find the pureed pumpkin the US contingent swear by. I've never seen it (the unspiced form) in any of our ordinary supermarkets, but found it in the deli/continental food shop in town.

Thanks Lisa, its getting him to eat it thats the problem. He has a very limited palate - unusual for a cavalier I know :D

Back