• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cost of MRI

Molly's mom

I am taking Molly to PetsDX in Pittsburgh (I found them through this board :) ) on Tuesday for an MRI to see if she has SM. With the exlusion of pre-op blood work which we are having done today at our Vets office, the total price for the MRI will be $1275. :yikes This is supposed to include everthing from when we walk in the door to the radiologist reading.

Does this sound about right/average for an MRI?

I have the quickcare gold plan thankfully (however wish I had gotten the double coverage now).

I think that's a pretty good price!! That's definitely at the lower end of the range. That includes anesthesia and everything?? Not bad at all, I'd say. It's about 2,000 here at the vet school and I think about the same at private practices around california.

Here is what it includes:
 The cost of an MRI is $1275. This is the total price and includes your time with the doctor, a complete examination of your pet, care and monitoring of your pet before, during, and after the MRI, placement of an intravenous catheter (IV), all anesthetics used, and the actual MRI study. The radiologist’s reading fee is also included in this amount.

It's a two and 1/2 hour drive for us but my oldest daughter is going with me. My vet (who is also a friend) has been very receptive to the information I have given her regarding SM and has allowed me to go on my "gut instinct" as well as Molly's symptoms to pursue the MRI.

You might consider calling LIVS, www.livs.org, which is considerably less than that but this is screening primarily and you may not get results right away. However they do some of the most successful surgeries to date for SM. They are in Long Island though. Also you'd need to talk to them about whether their low cost services would be appropriate if you are considering treatment for possible SM.

PetsDX was one of the other few places in the US offering lower cost MRIs.

I am told they are only $600 from Auburn University in Alabama where they have a neurologist familiar with SM; that is the lowest regular price service I know of. I think LIVS is around $500-$600 as well; may be less.

Back