• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cigarette buts and broken glass.

*Pauline*

I live in a really nice town, but until I got a dog I never noticed how dirty the pavements are. I don't drive so have to get the bus. Every bus stop has cigarette buts all over the floor. The nearest bus stop to me has had the glass of the shelter broken and none of it is swept up. It's all over the ground since before Christmas. Anyone with a bigger dog couldn't stand there, I can carry Dylan. And even on the pavements I have to watch for broken glass.

I think I'm going to take a picture of it and send it to the council. :snap: It makes me really mad. :x :bang: :swear: :shifty:

I get really upset when I see broken glass on the sidewalk. There are several spots along our usual route where we cross the street because the broken glass won't get cleaned up until a good rain washes it away. The other pet peeve I have is when the landscaping grows into the sidewalk and we have to all walk single file because there's not enough room on the sidewalk for us.

Litter of any kind has always disturbed me. Now it's a matter of Tucker's safety. His nose is his guide to the world, it's always to the ground. We have a lovely place to walk along the banks of the Merrimack River. It's a perfect place to walk, tree lined, fully paved walking path, and people leave their trash there. Equally upsetting is people who walk their dogs there and do not pick up the poop. It's disgusting. Some of these piles are like horse crap they're so huge. I don't want Tucker sticking his nose into that, I sure don't want to step in it.

That's not only a hazard for an animal, but for humans as well. Imagine if someone fell. The natural instinct is to catch yourself with your hands and you could do a lot of damage if you handed on broken glass.

I wonder if the city has thought about the liability issues. With so many people filing lawsuits, I would think they would want that cleaned up. It would seem to me if someone hurt themselves, a lawsuit would be a slam dunk.

Joanne, that's one of my pet peeves too. There are even people at shows that don't pick up after their dog. And they, of all people, should know better. There's been more than one time when Kris or I have stopped someone at a show and offered them a baggie to pick up after their dog.

Bruce i am always offering people bags to clean up after their dogs - makes me sick that people are too darned lazy to clean up after their pets :x

I almost lost Maxx when he was a puppy thanks to someone not cleaning up after their infectious dog :( Three other dogs in our practice weren't so lucky :(

In my community, the only thing that is kept nice is the outward appearance. I guess I should stop complaining so much. It just seems like the rest of the place is falling apart.

Last summer, while at the pool (where smoking is prohibited) there were a group of kids smoking and just littering all over. Needless to say, management did nothing. I know how you feel. Even if I didn't have a dog, I would still be upset by all the trash!

I was disgusted when calling at the vets , without a dog, before Christmas. As the yard soon fills up with cars, it is easier to park in the streets behind and walk to the surgery. On my walk I noticed lots of broken glass, dog dirt and discarded wrappers on the pavement.

The houses on the main road, in which the surgery is located, have bay windows and a tiny path and patch of what should be garden, at their front. Many of these houses are beautifully manitained , but several had their little enclosuse stewn with plastic sacks and soggy cardboard boxes of rubbish.

This must be awful for the people who keep their homes tidy, because it lowers the tone of the area. There is no excuse for this slovenly behaviour, as there is a weekly refuse collection and the collecters use the back alleys to the houses, so the rubbish should not be on the front, even on collection day.

The thing I never noticed until I got a dog (I suppose because I didn't do much walking icon_whistling ) is the number of irresponsible pet owners who let their dogs do their business and just keep on walking. Especially over at the park near our house and it's terrible trying to walk anywhere after dark because you don't know when you'll step in something. :grnyuk:

I use a retractible leash that has the bags on board built right in, so I'm never caught without my bags and I work for a State owned Boat Marina and Law Enforcement has actually ticketed dog owners who just walk away from their dog crap. :)

Over here its dog poooo,loads of it .And loose dogs.Here they seem to let their dogs out on their own our front lawn is covered in dog pooooo.we are allways picking it up.

We went to Prague last January and you would not believe how much doog poo was on the streets. There must have been 20 or more piles including what must have been a huge dogs diarrhea :yuk: (is that really how you spell it?) just in the street our hotel was on. Actually we were in the middle of the street so that was on just one half. Dogs are very popular there and you see them on the trains and in bags etc and nearly all are loose except for on the trains. I think they have to wear muzzles on the train too. It really was hard at night to walk back to the hotel and not step in something.

Tonight on our walk I again ran into a very elderly golden retriever I've seen walking the streets before. This time he/she was squatting smack dab in the middle of someone's yard making a big old poop :roll: When I first saw him/her, after wondering how long it would take before it tangled with car, was that it must be nice that the owners probably never have to pick up poop in their yard because they just let their dog roam the streets doing it everywhere else. Both times I have spotted this dog I've had my pups with me. Should I ever see it when I'm alone I plan to find out where it lives and speak to the owners. I DO NOT want to call animal control, I feel bad because it's very old. Just isn't right though!

In England( I don't know about the rest of the UK) councils fine on peoplple who allow thier dogs foul the streets and don't clean up. However, they have to be caught and that's the problem.

A conversation really annoyed me a couple of years ago:

I was discussing gardening with a student of mine and the topic of allotments came up. He complained that when his grandfather visited his (the student's( allotment, with his dog, it always did a large poo on the narrow pathway and his grandfather refused to clean it up. This man has been mayor and is a regular on the council which fines other people.

Pauline - Does your council have a website, if so you can report that kind of there, I do holes in roads, litter, damaged pavements, etc. I should get a job there as I seem to report most of the problems.... :)

where we have just moved from our neighbours had a dog they would just let him out to do his toilet they would tease us for picking our poo up.I told them about their dogs poo but they said it made them feel sick to pick it up,i also know they never wormed him.All the other neighbours started to dislike them i did tell them but they didnt want it in their own back yard incase the kids got worms.UNBELIVABLE.

Claire said:
Pauline - Does your council have a website, if so you can report that kind of there, I do holes in roads, litter, damaged pavements, etc. I should get a job there as I seem to report most of the problems.... :)

I telephoned the council today and they gave me the number for the people who own the bus shelter. I thought why can't they call them themselves!

I called the bus shelter people and they said they would send someone round tonight. He first question was, What's the number on the bus stop, as if I'd know! No word of a thank you for letting us know or a sorry for leaving it so long. :x

Back