• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Merrick distributor in TOWN!!

Moviedust

HURRAY!! I found an out of the way little pet shop. It has aquarium in the name, so I assumed at first it was just for aquadic pets, but I was wrong. Not only does it have Wellness, which the girls have been on for quite some time now, they also carry Nature's Variety. PLUS they just started carrying Merrick's foods!!

To enhance the appeal of this great inventory of dog foods, no pets are sold. However, they do have cats and the last time I was there they had a rabbit. These animals were being fostered by the store from the local humane society and animal shelter. So they could be adopted through the shelter!!

Great foods, reasonable prices, and reputable management. Could it be any better?!

Sounds great - I'm always looking for new places to find food for my dogs and my birds. Looks like you've found a winner! (I have to be careful - when we first moved to FL I found a place with "Exotics" in the name and thought I'd find bird things there. As I was turning into the parking lot I realized that they were not selling the kind of "exotic" stuff I was looking for!)

I'm not familiar with Merrick food. My girls are on Hill's allergy diet right now, but Tibby still scratches and scratches. Any suggestions?

Hills Science Diet?

While vets often recommend it, they do so because they often sell it through a deal with the company. It is not recommended because it is the best food out there. It contains many ingredients that dogs often react to, like corn.

There are lots of threads on the board about foods that are preferred. There's also a list of food recommended by Whole Dog Journal, a respected, no-ad publication (so they arent basing their ratings on who pays for ads!). There is also some useful info on the board on how to read and understand the labels on the dog food packaging. A bit of searching using the search engine (link at top of the page) will give you tons of info if you're interested.

In my opinion, the brands I mentioned are pretty good dry kibble (they also offer some canned foods): Wellness, Nature's Variety, and Merrick's. My two cavaliers were on Wellness Lamb when I changed them over to Merrick's Wilderness (which uses Buffalo meat as it's main meat source). I like to use the more "exotic" meet sources, like lamb, salmon, buffalo, etc. as it seems that there are fewer negative reactions to them as there are to chicken and beef, just my opinion.

Crittercall said:
Sounds great - I'm always looking for new places to find food for my dogs and my birds. Looks like you've found a winner! (I have to be careful - when we first moved to FL I found a place with "Exotics" in the name and thought I'd find bird things there. As I was turning into the parking lot I realized that they were not selling the kind of "exotic" stuff I was looking for!)

I'm not familiar with Merrick food. My girls are on Hill's allergy diet right now, but Tibby still scratches and scratches. Any suggestions?

Simple solutions by wellness is a wonderful food with human grade ingredients and not full of fillers. fwiw, Sandy

Thanks guys. I will definately look into other foods. I'm not thrilled with the Hill's diets even though several years ago I became an "official" Hill's Nutritionist - which means I took classes they offered and passed them based on the information that they provided.

I like the idea of alternative proteins, as long as the protein content isn't too high. I've seen problems develop in dogs with too much protein so that tends to make me a bit nervous.

Thanks again. I now have something to do tomorrow (as if house cleaning and laundry aren't enough!)

Crittercall said:
...I'm not familiar with Merrick food. My girls are on Hill's allergy diet right now, but Tibby still scratches and scratches. Any suggestions?

there is the ever popular Innova EVO. It uses poultry, but many owners who try it give good reports. The ingredient list is relatively pure, no additives or fillers. And NO GRAIN. That might help.

For sensitive dogs, i found several people on Cavaliertalk recommended Natural Balance (i think?) Duck and Potato.

In an earlier era, when i was trying canned food on Zack, in my futile struggle to find something he would eat once upon a time, i tried Merrick's Granny's Pot Pie, LOL! someone here on the forum recommended it. Zack liked it for one day like everything else, but i really liked it. I almost wanted to eat it, it looked so appetizing and smelled pretty good. If i fed him while i was hungry, it was a little tempting. I got the kibble version but he never ate that at all, and it was another wasted bag of dog food.

Merrick's Lamb Filet squares is one of the main treats i give zack, one of my favorites, and he loves them.

Back