• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My vet must think.....

nlg679

I am a total neurotic wacko :lol: !
Yesterday morning, Teddy and Katy were at it...their usual rough housing that Katy often instigates but Teddy enjoys. I am happily checking in on CT on the computer and glance back at their antics behind me every now and then.....
Well, Katy jumps off the couch and starts in with Tedster who makes a lot of noice and they are rolling around when suddenly Katy is on her back then crying like I have NEVER heard from her before and her leg is now dangling as she stands on three legs...her right leg she is holding and crying now in PAIN!!! OMG... I freak out silently change my clothes pull the hair in a ponytail, grab the keys then call the vet...my vet tech says that I should wait 24 hours...but she know that I WON'T!!! I drive over and gingerly carry her in....she stands on the table ON ALL FOUR LEGS and proceeds to wag her tail while I state "I hope it is not a luxating patella" and the vet looks at me and says....their patellas / knees are on their BACK legs....okay I am officially a dumb head now as well as NEURTOTIC!!! They give her a pain shot....tell me to keep her calm for 48 hours and to call them if she seems in pain after the shot wears off...
Yeah, today, she is all over the place....no pain, no limp, then I finally get brave enough to look at my receipt from our emergency vet and the guy only charged me for the injection!!!!!
Yeah, I think I learned my lesson.....wait a while before calling and sounding like what I know I am....completely neurotic.
I am the same person who handles emergency calls for my town as a volunteer emt...eh, and I have seen ugliness and pain and uh, I DON'T FREAK OUT!!!!

Embarrassed :roll:
Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

as i was reading I kept laughing "this is so me". Ever see a vet talk about their own pets when sick or a Dr about their children. All professional conduct go out the window when its your own! Love can do that do you...

LOL- years ago I took my boy into the vet due to severe shaking.... we go into the vets office and nothing is wrong.... the vet asks,, " could he be cold"??? DUH.. I felt like an idiot. But he totally understood and didn't charge me a thing. Sandy

I'm right with you! I swear I'd save a FORTUNE in vet bills if my dogs could talk. Instead, I have to guess what's wrong, and then second-guess, and then take 'em to the vet "just in case." Ugghhhh!

My vet has three kids. I think that between my horse, goats, rabbits, cat and dogs, I personally have funded their college educations!!!
:sl*p:

I did that with my old dog not once but twice :lol: Geez did I feel like a dunce. icon_whistling

:lol:
I think we're all laughing with you because we've all been there. I've often wondered how many trips we have made to the vet about nothing.

And how many more trips we'll make.

I worked in a vet hospital and dogs would ALWAYS do this!! Scream bloody murder, scare the begesus out of their owners who come in carrying their doog, completely panicked! And then put the dog down and it proceeds to run around without a hint of a limp! :lol: They can be such drama queens and kings sometimes! ESPECIALLY puppies!!

that said - I'VE done this before, too! Even knowing how they can overreact and make you think they're DYING.... I've panicked and brought my dogs in, too. :oops:

Oh dog.... :roll:

:lol: Yes we dramatize with our babies, but my DH could saw his finger off and I would tell him to put on a bandaid. :lol: :lol:

Lol... I am a "drama mama." If anything (even the silliest little thing) goes wrong I am straight on the phone with my fil --the vet-- and asking all sorts of questions. Cicero isn't even home yet and I am going crazy! Like, what is the best to feed him, bathe him with, ect ect.

307p2xs.gif
Crazy Mama!

I've been there too! It's especially expensive when taking them to the emergency vet late at night!! icon_whistling

:lol: :lol: :lol: I am thankful that I think first and act later! I am usually the one who is all calm and collected (don't want to stress my babies) and telling everyone else to calm down and stop flapping. I usually take a few deep breaths and maybe ring James or Tom - only when they say 'bring him over now' do I panic and then I really do lose the plot :roll:

I always remember when the neighbour's cat got Maxx's eye. I had just got up and was in my jamas and slippers. I was telling hubby to ring the Vets and tell them what had happened and to make sure there was someone there for me & eldest son to put a cold compress on Maxx's eye whilst youngest son was running clean tea towels under the cold tap.

During this time I was pulling on a pair of jeans and trainers and opening the driveway gates.

It was only after Maxx had been stitched up and sorted out that I began to blubber. Same as when eldest son fell off a chair and split his head open needing over 300 micro stitches in his scalp. I was fine until they said he could go home - then the shock kicks in and I wail :cry*ing: :lol:

I have spent well over 500 euro in the past year on vet bills alone including an overnight night stay in the emergency hosptial - cost of doctor's bills for 2 adults and 2 children for the year - about 50 euro!!!
thankfully we're healthy!

But I also wish the doggies could talk - if they could just say it's a dodgy tummy because of something they ate it would save a whole lot of bother. :p

Oh you silly silly girl ;) I would have done the exact same thing!! Ohhhh...if one's leg was just dangling....they'd be at the vet before they knew what happened. I don't know....I always think if it freaks you out that bad....best get it looked at. It's funny....I can be very calm (like Donna) if it's a human hurt (saw a motorcycle accident, first one on scene, assumed to have lost a limb, totally calm...until the ambulance shows and then I lose it) but when it comes to the puppies I am the worst. I have gotten better over time though.

I'd do the same thing too!!! Couldn't imagine something bad happening to the little guy, better go once too much than not enough! It's better to play sure I think.

Back