• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

grooming question

Kingofthehouse86

Ok...everytime I see a picture of a show CKCS in the ring, their ear har is always so perfectly straight...We have a kinda formal party to go to...I kinda want King to look like a show dog...Does anyone know their secret??

Blow dryer and a brush. You have to deal with the hair while it is wet and just like a hairdresser-- style it with the blowdryer heat. It doesn't last-lol. At least not with my guys.

I have a grooming question too......

How do you stop the fur from tangling at the back of their ears??
<where the ears & head join>

I usually end up cutting that bit out...but Mary Alice won't stay still enough!
Thanks.

I've seen those hair tong/straightener things used too. :)

Way to avoid matts behind ears -- regularly grooming of that area. That's the only way. If you cut out the matts down to the base then the hair just matts as it regrows. So this should always be an area of special attention a couple times a week. I find blenheims have finer hair that tends to matt more easily.

I use a small cat pin brush only about 2 inches across, and a matt cutter if need or scissors to cut the matt in two lengthwise. I've never been able to get the hang of combs though some people like them.

Thanks Karlin.

Would it be ok to use a "humans" detangler spray??

You're certainly right about the matts growing back in....bigger and better!! :x

King I almost started a grooming thread myself.

I agree with the others, blow dry immediately after washing. I also find combing Tucker's ears daily, helps to keep them straighter. Keep his ears dry.

My question: What can I do for the hair between Tucker's shoulders? It's shorter than the rest of his coat, and it's always sticking up. Combing it down doesn't help, and even right after he's groomed it's like this.

I use infusium 23 leave in treatment. It works well on the ears. Trick I learned with the horses. Then I work the mats out with a comb. I usually don't have to cut any hair at all.

Missy took many days to get all of her mats out but we used the same process.

Aaron,
I use this hair dryer with the 'air flare' attachment on their ears. It blows and dries the hair straight, and it stays very straight until they get wet again:
http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/produ...duct_id=180-0114&category_name=GroomingDryers
The same dryer makes their body hair lay straight, if you can perfect your technique. I'm still working on it! I have a close-fitting coat that I put on them when they're nearly dry, similar to this one:
http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/produ...oduct_id=153-0257&category_name=ClothingCoats

Don't look at my avatar photo though, that was from before I bought the special blowdrier!

Cathy funny thing is I have both the dryer and the coat...I mean his ears are straight for about maybe 30 mins to 1 hr.. Then the start to tangle, well what am I gonna do...thanx for the info though guys

Hmmm, are you getting his ears completely dry? Also, I have a shampoo that I don't have to use a conditioner with, so their ears don't get 'stringy'. I got it from the vet - will post it tomorrow.

Yup I make sure he's completely dry before I let him go play...I do use a conditioner on him espically his ears because they tend to get static...mayb I shouldn't use the conditioner??

Zippy said:
Thanks Karlin.

Would it be ok to use a "humans" detangler spray??

You're certainly right about the matts growing back in....bigger and better!! :x

You can only use human detangler spray if its ok for infants or toddlers, anything stronger then that isn't at a suitable ph level for dogs.
I used (in australia) Johnsons baby/toddler leave in conditioner in conjunction with regular brushing. This spray doesn't even seem to upset dogs with very sensitive skin.

I used to have a terrible time with Riley's hair matting behind the ears and on his back leg feathers, sometimes on his chest too. Now i use PetSilk detangling spray on him and it keeps the hair from matting considerably. I still have to comb him regularly, but now the hair doesn't seem to bind together like it did. I am really pleased with the detangler. I also use PetSilk conditioning shampoo and rinse. These have made a big difference in his matting hair issues.

The shampoo I got from the vet is Vet Solutions Aloe and Oatmeal shampoo. It is soap free, but it lathers up well and cleans without removing their natural skin oils. Don't need a conditioner, either. I just washed them this weekend, and we have no static. :)

Back