PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas Rescue Baby-Pics added on 10Jan

Mic
9th January 2007, 07:56 PM
Okay folks, I just got word that another pup has been rejected and turned in by the miller.

I'll post what I know now, and will add updates as soon as I get them. This pup was born on 11-12-06 and has already been separated from his/her/? mom, shipped to a puppy broker, shipped to a puppy store, rejected because of a "bad knee and hernia," shipped back to the broker, shipped back to the breeder and is now with our vet. So much for such a little one! It kills me how early they take them from their moms. Anyway, our vet will fix the hernia when she spays/neuters the pup, so that's not a concern. Additionally, she said the knee isn't that bad.
Color? I don't have a clue.
Sex? No idea.
Markings, temperament, etc.? Obviously, I don't know yet. I'll meet this little on on Thursday when I help load dogs for transport, so I can take pictures and share more information then.

On a personal note, I want to get the word out ASAP because, due to an overflow of dogs in isolation, I will be fostering this little one at my house. I am not a good foster. Actually, I'm a horrible foster, hence my Abby, my failed-foster and most recent family member. My husband doesn't even know about this "house guest" yet. What he does know, however, is that I get too attached to any dog who stays with us while waiting for placement. That's why it works better if pups stay with Judy (rescue associate) while I work on placement, and only come to my house once I know that the perfect family has been found. Emotionally, it's better for me. I'm a wimp.

Be on the look out for more details....and check transportation from your area to Little Rock. Please.

Karlin
9th January 2007, 08:00 PM
Just to make clear to Europeans on the board who might be shocked that date is NOVEMBER 12, not DECEMBER 11. For a moment I was thinking it was 4 weeks old! :yikes'

I did not think it was legal to ship puppies to pet stores under 8 weeks of age. This one would possibly have been under 7 weeks?

PS the best way to not to be a failed foster is to realise how many good homes so badly want a cavalier and there will always be other dogs in the future for you when you want to add one. That puppies ad young cavaliers in particular are the LEAST needy -- they can always be easily homed. And that every additional one with you means less time to give to helping others and more difficulty in ever being able to take in the real emergecies -- like this one.

With the addition of Lily I cannot take in dogs even short term -- it is just too many. It is one of the main reasons I wasn't sure whether to hold on to her; one of the reasons I have is related to potential medical issues.

Better to save the permanent home for a truly needy cavalier, like an oldie or a special needs case. Those are hard to home and really need the special rescue person to offer that space, when the time is right. :)

Cathy T
9th January 2007, 08:35 PM
Ditto what Karlin says on fostering.

I'm just sickened this poor little pup has been through so much in it's incredibly short life. Poor baby.

We almost kept our first foster a year ago. Due to circumstances beyond my control...it didn't work out. Now, I'm grateful it didn't. I wouldn't have been able to continue fostering. My set up isn't large enough to allow multiple dogs like that. The other thing was that she was healthy, young and adorable. I wouldn't have been doing anyone a favor by keeping her because she was super easy to place.

Be strong Micky and simply tell yourself that keeping him/her is not an option. That's what we have done.

It is such a selfless act to take in a dog, foster and nurture and assess, then pass on to a good and deserving family. You will have brought so much joy into their lives....and can do it again.

moniechris
9th January 2007, 09:22 PM
I'm a great foster, if you want to transport this little one to Florida icon_whistling :D :D :D

I think the last thing the poor little thing needs is another long car trip though. Hope everything works out and I can't wait to see pictures!

Mic
9th January 2007, 09:24 PM
Sure, everything you've written makes complete sense...logically. But emotionally, I work on a completely different level. I got Abby at 10 months because no one wanted her. Emotionally, she's not stable: separation anxiety, food guarding, etc. But she's eager to please and be loved, doesn't talk back, break curfew, or get bad grades, so it was easy to fall in love and keep her. There are times I'd trade one one of my kids for a cav with out blinking an eye!

I keep all of the pups I've placed in forever homes for 3-5 days while waiting for a new mom or dad to arrive for pick up. That's pretty easy for me because I've worked hard to find the perfect home and know, before the pup even comes to my home, that he/she already has a loving family waiting for 'em. But when I foster, I tend to grow more attached.

That's why I posted this early feeler today. The sooner I get things in motion, the easier it is for me to remember that my job is to find a new home, not a new pup!

And btw, yes, I agree that these dogs have been separated and shipped WAY too early. If it's not a crime, it should be.

robynmp
9th January 2007, 10:05 PM
Oh...Mic should we take another trip to AR??

I would love another puppy!!

Pooooor thing...sounds like it has been through alot.

Cathy T
9th January 2007, 11:02 PM
:D I know what you mean...logically! Tell me about it....I could very easily become the crazy lady down the street with all those dogs.

Maxxs_Mummy
10th January 2007, 07:46 PM
:D I know what you mean...logically! Tell me about it....I could very easily become the crazy lady down the street with all those dogs.

My neighbours already think I am :lol: Everytime a Cavalier escapes for about a mile around, it gets brought to my door & people ask me if it's mine, is it a foster/rescue or will I sort it out :roll:

Just as well my guys will let any Cavalier in really, I am forever getting strays brought to my door :lotsaluv: Never had one longer than an hour though, their Mamma's always know they're missing!!!!

Mic, I can relate to you entirely. Furbabies are so much easier than two legged ones and yes, I have felt like that about every one of my fosters too. You just have to be really hard on yourself :(

Incidentally, when I took Charlie it was because I just couldn't see the poor little mite go through any more upheaval and stress. I honestly wonder what would have happened to him had I left him with the last people he was with. They had noticed none of his problems, yet he was in appalling condition :?

Mic
11th January 2007, 04:47 AM
Well, I have good new and bad news. The good new is that the pup is....drum roll....a female black and tan. She's adorable, everyone who's met her has fallen in love with her, and the vet does not feel her knee is bad, certainly not bad enough for anyone to reject her, let alone put her down.

And the bad news? I'm particularly fond of black and tans.

She's really friendly with all animals and people.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/bobnmict/Im004130.jpg

But sometimes she's kinda shy.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/bobnmict/Im004128.jpg

Om's Mom
11th January 2007, 06:23 AM
Mic,
I am just going to have to find a way to your neck of the woods. Grrrr.
Dorothy, thinking Om needs company, of the furry sort icon_whistling

Vickie
11th January 2007, 09:10 AM
Oh Mic she is beautiful, how anyone could reject her is beyond me.

I have a big soft spot for black and tans, its such a good job i'm not nearer to you!!

I hope that she finds the perfect home very soon, I know its going to be very hard for you to let her go :flwr:

Maxxs_Mummy
11th January 2007, 10:51 AM
Good job she's not in the UK as she'd be in between my guys. I was only saying to hubby the other night, how a b&t would look so nicccccccccccccccccce in between them - he didn't disagree either :lol:

Hope she soon gets the loving home she deserves :hug:

moniechris
11th January 2007, 01:32 PM
Oh Mic! How is is possible to have THREE gorgeous baby black and tans fall in your lap!! I have never even seen a breeder for one in my area. :(

I barely convinced my hubby to take in fosters, but my heart pitter patters for this little b&t girl. More pictures !! More pictures!! I must have my puppy fix!! :snap:

Mic
11th January 2007, 04:56 PM
Monica:

I live in the heart of puppy mill country, unfortunately. So that's why I seem to get more than my share of cavalier rescues. Each dog I've rehomed was originally slated to be pts as a breeder/miller reject.

And why were they rejected? For things as minor as giardia (simple treatment), blind in one eye (the other one is fine), open fontanel (miller didn't want to keep & feed them the extra week or two until the fontanels closed), hernia (minor fix during spay/neuter), no longer a good "producer," (but a wonderful and beautiful dog!).

This will be the ninth cavalier I've placed since November. Four were placed locally with Arkansas families. Three went to great homes I found via this board and another cavalier board. One went to a wonderful home in a neighboring state with the help of some networking with a friend involved in Cav rescue in Texas. And I'll have to wait and see where this latest one will wind up.

moniechris
11th January 2007, 05:18 PM
I bet the millers would kick themselves if they saw how beautiful and happy each one of those babies grow up to be. But then again, they could probably care less because there was just another baby to take their place that wouldn't cost them as much.

I am so glad that there are people like you that are willing to take on the monsterous task of "cleaning up" after other people's inhumanity. The work you are doing with these pups is going to touch the lives of EVERY person they meet that hears their story. You are also making some families VERY VERY happy. Use that as motivation to continue to foster. Like Lucky Star says, "until there are none". I am just waiting for an opportunity to do my part. :flwr:

Cicero's Mummy
11th January 2007, 06:04 PM
Oh my goodness... I am almost ready to hop on a plane and come get her! What a cutie! Whomever gets her is super lucky!

arasara
11th January 2007, 07:53 PM
ahh Mic she's just adorable. I would LOVE to have another baby. Do you think UPS would ship her to me?? icon_whistling Seems like you've been getting quite a few in the past few months doesnt it?

How much does she weigh? How's she getting along? That is just awful that they rejected her and were going to put her down.. it just gets under my skin. :x Thank God your vet is kind enough to let you have these kind of cases.

Let us know more!!

Mic
12th January 2007, 01:44 AM
Well, here she is....
Introducing "Faith" (along with my daughter Riley)
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/bobnmict/IMGP0413.jpg

...and Faith with my daughter Megan.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/bobnmict/IMGP0409.jpg

She's a typical puppy: chases her tail, jumps and falls, runs into walls, gives LOTS of kisses, loves to snuggle, isn't the least bit afraid of other dogs or cats. Oh yes, and she doesn't appear to have a problem with kids, either!

Cathy Moon
12th January 2007, 03:48 AM
:wggle: What a sweetheart she is!

My Wesley
12th January 2007, 06:30 AM
URGH! I want her! I wish I could have another puppy right now! Wesley could sure use a buddy.

Linda
12th January 2007, 07:04 PM
OMG She is adorable.

What a friendly little lass she is for just coming into your home.

Bless you Mic for fostering all these little angels. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

She won't last long I am sure of it.

Kodee
12th January 2007, 11:38 PM
reading about it was so sad... then seeing that puppy with your girls was ahh so GREAT. That lil girl will no doubt find a loving home, who could resist her! OK not you - be strong - you can resist her....more cavies will need you later!

Forest
13th January 2007, 02:32 AM
Oh what a heart melter!!!! Gorgeous baby and great job with those photos of Faith and your daughters.
Julie and the girls :lotsaluv:

matties mum
13th January 2007, 10:04 AM
I love the name and the photos are so good :l*v: Aileen

Charleen
13th January 2007, 11:13 AM
Mickey - how is little Faith doing today?

Mic
13th January 2007, 04:49 PM
She's your typical puppy: not quite used to her arms and legs yet, runs like the wind - but it's the stopping part she doesn't quite have figured out yet, loves her crate - on HER terms (to sleep), would rather be in your arms or purse (!) the rest of the time, scares herself when a bark accidently comes out, knows she cute and uses it to her advantage (typical girl, I guess).

She does not like the rain, which is unfortunate because that's exactly what's forecasted for the next three days. Paper training isn't going too well because she like play with it, not peeing on it.
:sl*p:
Cappy (10m, b&t, male) is wonderful with her. He even grooms her and lets her crawl all over him. Abby (20m, r, female) is more aloof and "tolerates" Faith because she knows she has to. But, man, she cuts me some mean looks when the little one is sniffing and crawling on her. Faith must have figured her out 'cause she goes to Cappy far more often. Smart girl!

If "you gotta have FAITH" (Old George Michaels song for those who remember it), PM me for an application.

arasara
13th January 2007, 05:16 PM
my interpretation:

Well I need someone to hold me
and I'll not wait for something more

Yes I've gotta have faith...

I miss those small funny puppy days !! They all seem like distant memories now.

Mic she sounds absolutely perfect. :flwr:

Maxxs_Mummy
13th January 2007, 11:16 PM
Yeah, Sara has gotta have Faith :thmbsup: :D :thmbsup: You know that's so weird. My friend who helped me find Maxx and also train him had a little B&T called Faith.

It's weird because I was thinking of my friend earlier (she sadly passed away in 2003 :( ) & her little girls, Holly & Faith. Faith was Holly's pup & almost died, so June stayed up all night for 3 nights & then slept on the sofa with her to make sure she was OK. Faith is a name I have never heard any other dog called - now the darling little rescue puppy is called Faith too :lotsaluv:

Mic, you've brought happy tears to my face tonight. I know I'm really soppy sometimes icon_blshing