PDA

View Full Version : Crate training question

ohara5150
10th January 2007, 07:26 PM
I'm thinking about getting a CKCS puppy soon and I've been researching how to train puppies. Most of the info says that you should only crate your puppy for 1 hour long than their age in months (so a 2 month old puppy should only be crated for 3 hours at a time). I work during the day and will not always be able to make it home during lunch. How will this affect the crate training in the early months?

*Pauline*
10th January 2007, 08:02 PM
A Cavalier is a people dog. I'm sure the dog wouldn't be happy left on his own most of the day. :flwr:

WoodHaven
10th January 2007, 08:03 PM
I'm thinking about getting a CKCS puppy soon and I've been researching how to train puppies. Most of the info says that you should only crate your puppy for 1 hour long than their age in months (so a 2 month old puppy should only be crated for 3 hours at a time). I work during the day and will not always be able to make it home during lunch. How will this affect the crate training in the early months?

If you don't let them out often enough-- they will HAVE to soil in their crate and you don't want that. I would set up an x-pen (I have puppy pens) with an area set aside for going. You can try litterbox training in the x-pen. I've tried papertraining with mixed reviews.
fwiw-- I have full grown dogs that I'd not make hold it 8+ hours during the day.

estertje
10th January 2007, 08:06 PM
Can't you take some time off the first two weeks or so? And afterwards make sure that someone comes to let him out when you can't? Like a neigbour who's retired or something?

Zippy
10th January 2007, 08:16 PM
Dogs need people to be around as much as possible....esp. Cavaliers.
Can you arrange for dog sitters or dog walkers?

I'd never get a puppy if I wasn't going to be around for a few weeks at least....not fair to yourself or the pup. :flwr: :flwr:

ppotterfield
10th January 2007, 10:36 PM
There are several ways to deal with the desire to have a dog and the need to work. First, I will say that I do not think any dogs should regularly be crated for more than five or six hours and that if that is your situation, you should look into a dog walker or doggie day care. Second, you should consider getting an older puppy or young dog instead of a puppy that is only eight to twelve weeks old. If you have the time there is something special about having a young puppy, but they really are also a tremendous amount of work. Consider a puppy that is already six to twelve months old and the transition may be easier. Best of luck to you.

momay
11th January 2007, 07:48 PM
We are crating our 5 month old tri cav 4 days per week while we work, and started when she was 10 weeks old. We have dog walkers come twice during the day (every 4 hours), and then we are home appx. 1.5 hours after the last dog walk visit. For the first month they came three times per day. This is working out very well. She is still too young to be out on her own, even in a room that is 'puppy proof'. The dog walkers play with her, feed her dinner and walk her both visits. She is also walked in the morning and evening with us (longer walks). I feel 4 hours is the maximum time for her to be crated at this point and she is full of it when we get home until at least 10:00pm. As a puppy, they do sleep a lot, but they also have tons of energy!
Please consider a dog walker or help from a neighbor. We have also found that our cav, just as others have said, craves people attention. She is really so different from other dogs I have had in the past and ones that family members have had.
Also, owning a puppy "IS A LOT OF WORK". :shock: As I have been told, there is no 'pause' button, as with the t.v. She is constantly looking to us for all of her needs and as I said before, as a Cav, loves people attention and really needs it to be a well adjusted dog. At 5 months, she is still having a few accidents re housetraining, but those have been due to our inconsistency while we were both sick with the flu and mixed communications ((i.e. - No, I thought you took her out??!!) :oops:
But, the work is sooooooooo worth it. :l*v: She brings unbelievable joy to our lives and we really can't believe how wonderful it is to have her as part of our family. We picked the perfect breed and are very willing to do the legwork, especially this first year. :flwr:
Best of luck with your new puppy!

Cicero's Mummy
11th January 2007, 09:01 PM
you could always enroll in puppy daycare!!

Just make sure you do your research! I know of a great daycare here in Columbus, but I also know of some not so great ones that I wouldn't even visit let alone take my dog to!

Cathy T
12th January 2007, 01:57 AM
Momay - I can't tell you how happy I am to read of your dedication. You are truly going the extra mile for you puppy and I for one am thrilled to read it! Excellent job!