PDA

View Full Version : Bittersweet-Update Our Baby Comes Home in a Month

enchantingdragon
10th January 2007, 11:25 PM
This past Monday I found out I was pregnant which is wonderful news but I think it ends the idea of getting a Cavalier puppy this year. Though I hate to sound so disappointed at the idea of having my first baby I am a little sad as I have been waiting for my first puppy since I was a child and to be so close (puppy was due to be home in June) and have that slip away so suddenly is a bit upsetting. I just had a blood test today to confirm the pregnancy and Ill find out on Friday but the Dr seems to be pretty sure that I have a baby in my womb. Once the pregnancy is 100% confirmed I will probably contact my breeder and let her know and go from there. I know that there will definitely be a pup in my future maybe just not right now so Im trying to keep my chin up. My husband knows how sad I am about this (though I'm trying not to be as I am going to have a baby and all :wink: ) and he said we might be able to get one before the baby but I'm not sure I really want to juggle both at the same time. So depending on my results on Friday I might not be posting quite as much for a while as its hard for me to see all your beautiful dogs and not ache for my own. But I will be back one day as my love for this breed is larger then any disappointment I might be feeling now and I know one day I will finally be posting pics of my new Cavy puppy..with my new baby :D So I thank you all for your friendship, knowledge, and support. And though I say I wont post Illl probably lurk from time to time as your dogs are all too lovely for words :D

Jasmine

Cathy T
10th January 2007, 11:32 PM
Jasmine - first of all....congratulations!!!!! Oh darling, you can get a puppy anytime. Enjoy your first pregnancy and love your baby with every minute you have. When baby is bigger and you're ready...then you can get a puppy. I think you are very wise to make this decision and wish you nothing but fabulous luck and a great great future!!

matties mum
10th January 2007, 11:34 PM
I know how you are feeling but you will be overjoy once your baby gets here keep us informed and I will look forward to seeing you with your new baby and in time your pup----Aileen

*Pauline*
10th January 2007, 11:44 PM
It's always difficult dealing with change. At least it's just posponed and not put off forever. I agree it would be hard to juggle both a puppy and a new baby. You're very blessed to be able to have both one day. Keep us posted on the pregnancy. Don't be sad. :hug:

Maxwell&me
10th January 2007, 11:48 PM
As a girl whos had two babys, I can tell you that perhaps this might be a good time to bring a puppy into the house....I fully understand being overwhelmed at the thought of a baby and all the responsibilitys that it brings...but only speaking for myself, a puppy might have killed some of the down time I had for the first year while waiting for the baby to wake up...not to mention the depression I felt for the first year being out of the working loop .

I felt very isolated, all my working friends were too busy for me during the day and I had a real feeling of being alone. My husband was far to busy to handle my many phone calls during the day of how every feeding went...When I look back on that time I was very depressed, and a loving little fur ball may have made a big difference.

We as women feel like this time should be the most wonderful in our lives, that wasnt the case for me. I love my children...but the baby years left me feeling a bit "empty"

Im by no means telling you to get in over your head, or do something that your not comfortable with, but I am telling you that your going to be home for an extended period anyway, and it may help to ease those baby blues!

Pending on what your plans are, and how much time your going to take off, This really may be workable~ for everyone. Take your time in making this decision, and discuss it with your husband....Congrats on the great news, it is life changing...but I dont know that you have to give up your dream either....Just my two cents.

EDIT TO ADD:

And this will make you laugh~ and you will all be able to tell what a freek I am, For the first three weeks my husband and I stayed up in shifts to watch our oldest sleep thru the night. For some crazy reason we thought that if one of us wasnt awake something would happen with her and she would stop breathing or something~ I promise you, if you both fall asleep at the same time nothing will happen. Ill never forget the morning we both woke up totally exausted from our crazy self imposed shifts....and realised that she was still alive the relief we felt. Nobody ever mentioned that it was O.K. to sleep~ I really dont know what in the heck we were thinking....but looking back that would have left us both plenty of time to walk a puppy.....*smile*

Zippy
11th January 2007, 12:09 AM
Yes, Congratulations on your baby!!!

You can get a pup anytime.....enjoy your pregnancy and the beginning of your childs' life!

Keep us posted and can't wait to see the baby pics! :flwr: :flwr:

Shay
11th January 2007, 12:19 AM
Congratulations on the baby news! You will get your puppy one day. I agree with you on it being too much. I never had babies, but this little puppy for me, has been like a baby, and I can't imagine doing both. Of course, maybe if I were younger, but it takes a lot of your time. Enjoy the baby, and then enjoy the puppy when it's time. Best wishes to you.

Joanne M
11th January 2007, 12:40 AM
Congratulations Jasmine. Either way you'll have a wonderful new baby to care for, or a puppy. I think this is wonderful news. Please let us know if and when it will be due.

If you think shopping for puppies is fun, wait till you shop for babies. I do not have any myself, but have had a blast shopping when each of my 12 nieces and nephews were born. I just love shopping for babies and toddlers.

I've meaning to ask you how your Interpreting Certification Testing went? Have you taken it yet, and if so, when do you get the results? You've got a very full plate. I agree with Cathy T. You can have a puppy anytime.

cooper&fergus
11th January 2007, 12:49 AM
Congratulations on your pregnancy! Iam also pregnant, due in April. We fortunately got our 2 boys in the last 3 years so 1 will be nearly 3 and the other 18 months by the time the baby comes.

Only you can make the right decision for your family. Personally I agree that now that you are pregnant perhaps waiting till your bubs is a little older may be the best time for adding a puppy to your household. Both puppies and babies are a lot of work in the early stages and training your puppy early on will result in a better behaved dog down the track. You need the time to devote to either a baby or a puppy. Especially since you wouldn't have been getting your pup till June which would only leave you a few months with pup before bubs is due.

Enjoy your pregnancy, hope you're feeling well with it so far, and cherish becoming a mother for the first time. I can't wait. I'm sure you will be a dogmum as well sometime in the near future.

My husbands parents got a dog about a year before hubby was born. That dog always knew where he stood in the pecking order - just below hubbys older brother and well and truly ahead of mu husband!

Maxwell&me
11th January 2007, 01:28 AM
I respectfully ask those of you that feel that a baby and a Pup are to much why you feel the way you do? I ask this not only for the benifit of the board today but also for those in the future.

Id like to know what exactly you base your opinions on, and why this is far to daunting of a task for one to manage? Perhaps Ive just been out of the baby loop for to long? My youngest is 8 so it hasnt been that long has it?

Kodee
11th January 2007, 01:55 AM
My hairdresser got a new puppy a mth before her baby was born and moved into a new home 2 wks before the birth! Me, never in a million years, my jaw dropped when I heard!

For ME my first child was a whole new world with ups and downs learning the parenting game (I'd never even held a baby before) but it also is my most cherished memory, along with the birth of my second child too!

Puppies are wonderful and dogs add so much to a families life - but there will be lots of time to enjoy pets later.

Besides, puppies and dogs are really children to many of us. Once you start preparing for the birth and thereafter, you'll have such joy you wont be missing a thing. And then before you know it, it will be the perfect time to add a puppy for the whole family to enjoy.

Shay
11th January 2007, 01:58 AM
I am basing my opinion on my experience with a Cav puppy. This is my opinion only based on my experience. Cavs especially, (my puppy is no exception) are very clingy. My puppy does not want us out of her sight. She wants to be held all the time, and played with when not being held. We were up 3 times a night until she was almost 4 months old. I think it would be hard to juggle a newborn and a puppy, and give both the attention they need. Both babies and puppies require a lot of time and attention. In my opinion, it would be difficult to manage both. IMHO, it would be better to enjoy both experiences to the max at separate times. Babies are expensive and so are puppies, that would be a factor as well. This is just MO.

Mic
11th January 2007, 05:11 AM
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on the possibility of your first pregnancy and baby! :flwr:
Some people struggle for years trying to conceive, myself included. As a matter of fact, I was so depressed that I couldn't get pregnant or a job (dh was in the service and we were living away from home in Italy), that my inlaws sent us a DoG....two days before I got a job AND found out that I was pregnant! :yikes I had about six months to train this active chocolate lab before my son was born. That dog was a godsend to our family, my son especially. She lived for almost 13 years and was devoted to us all, but especially my first born. We joked that she knew he was a wild thing and needed extra protection, so she stuck by him like glue.

If you want to watch a cav and your child grow up together, go for it. But it may be wise to get the pup sooner, rather than later. Something to consider, however, is that some breeders are reluctant to place a pup in a home with a toddler.

I love my pups, but my kids ARE my life. You are lucky! Rejoice and glad!

Kodee
11th January 2007, 06:17 AM
I had about six months to train this active chocolate lab!

Oh I always swore my next dog (our yellow lab was put down in oct at 15) would be a CHOCOLATE LAB, HOW I LOVE THEM! Ah but when it rolled around to reality this fall, I realized another large dog did not suit our lifestyle now :( But I am happy I found the cavaliers as they seem just as playful and ofcouse beautiful!

judy
11th January 2007, 07:55 AM
congratulations jasmine--that's wonderful news. I have one child, now 23 years old, and it was the most wonderful experience of my life, a life with many wonderful experiences. It was the ultimate peak for me, in terms of inspiration and transformation and profound love like i'd never felt before. It was quite hard for me in lots of ways, not too hard, i could handle it, and handling it was so good for me, but it was truly hard. As it worked out, i never had a second child but i always knew that if i had, it would've been easier, i would've been more laid back and would've learned from some mistakes.

for me, having a puppy would've been hard because i was quite stretched with my daughter the first year. I was 34 and used to doing what i wanted and having my space to myself, it was a real change, and i would long for her nap so i could be alone with my thoughts, and could think about things. i liked to think in those days. :lol: That first year, my daughter woke up a lot during the night, nursing on demand, and that really made me crazy. So, and i'm saying this partly in answer to Maxwell and Me about why someone would not want to have a puppy and baby at the same time. I'm just speaking for me, and i think Maxwell and Me makes a good point, that for some it can be a positive thing. I wasn't lonely much when my daughter was a baby, i loved having some solitude. Anyway, it might have been nice to have a puppy at that time, but the way i remember it, i think it would've stressed me out more. when i got Zack, he was sick with colitis, and then vomiting too, and i had to take him to the ER at midnight. I was going to the vet three times a week and i was going nuts, it was one of the most stressful unhappy scary depressing experiences i've ever had, and it wasn't even a serious illness, once i finally found a vet who knew what was wrong with him, but that took 5 weeks that lasted forever. To have had a baby too, that would've been even worse, i would've felt guilty for not being there enough for either one of them.

Remember the movie, Lady and the Tramp, when Jim Dear and Darling have their baby, and Lady starts being neglected and she is so hurt and sad, and doesn't understand why she's not the center of attention anymore? I am sure there are families where that can happen. That wonderful movie tried to tell the story from the dog's perspective. Of course, cavaliers are irresistable so they can probably find a way to fit into the picture, like in mic's and maxwell/me's families. But Lady seemed just like a Cavalier. :|

ok, it wasn't real life. :lol:

Having said all that, i can imagine how sad you must be, having looked forward to having your puppy and dreamed of how it was going to be, and getting to share your experiences with others. Of course, you'll have a puppy some day. I can understand your caution about doing it right before the baby's due, but i know it must be disappointing.

maybe you can find a discussion forum for people with new babies? ;) i know it's not the same. But seriously, it would've been so cool for me if i had had the internet when my daughter was a baby and i was tied down. I actually started taking prerequisites for a graduate program in educational psychology when my daughter was 7 months old and started the masters program full time when she was 14 months, but it was great, i was studying child development and psychology and it was quite helpful to me in raising her.

i am happy for you, for the adventure you are embarking on. I know you will love it, and before long, you will have your doggy too, and your child will have a wonderful companion. :flwr:

Maxxs_Mummy
11th January 2007, 11:56 AM
Congratualtions Jasmine :flwr:

I think only you can make up your own mind about this but I wish I'd had a Cavalier when my first was born. It might have given him something to watch and have calmed him down as well as being just what I needed as well :lol:

When I had my second, I already had an extremely hyperactive 4 yr old and a young GSD (under a year). It was wonderful to see my kids growing with her and whilst we never left them alone together, i know I could have trusted her implicitly for she loved & protected those kids as though they were her own babies. It WAS however, extremely hard work as she was the most demanding dog I have ever known - we still miss her now though :(

Maybe weigh up the options and how you will cope with it all, as I said, only you can make the decision and if you have many doubts then don't go there - there are enough Cavs in rescue because of new babies :(

Maybe you could borrow a Cav every now and then? Might help your longing a bit :flwr:

enchantingdragon
11th January 2007, 12:46 PM
Hi everyone I know its not Friday but I wanted to say thank you all for your sweet and encouraging posts. I knew all of you would understand how I feel as Cavys have a way of stealing your heart away. My husband seems to be on the same line as many of you on saying we can still get a puppy. This is the first baby for both of us and it is a bit unexpected. My hubby and I only just got married in August and I'm 25 and he will be turning 26 in a week but we weren't planning on having kids for another 2 years or so so our lil surprise caught us off guard a bit. My biggest concern with getting a pup is the cost. Babies are expensive and I'm worried if we spend it on a pup we wont have enough for the baby. Also Im worried that when the baby comes the pup wont receive as much attention as it needs or is use to and I don't want that to happen. Lastly because this baby came so soon I will probably have to return to work almost right away as we simply cant afford right now to pay the mortgage and have a baby without another income. My husband is a teacher and I am trying to work my way into the educational realm as an interpreter of the deaf but Im not sure if that will happen before the baby or not. I was thinking of maybe an older pup who was already house trained as that might be easier but Im not sure. I want to talk to my breeder as well and see how she feels as she might not want to sell me a pup now with a baby on the way. A lot of things to think about still but I appreciate all your input and I will be thinking this over a lot the next few months. Will update you guys tomorrow when we finally know the answer Thanks again everyone

Jasmine

Cicero's Mummy
11th January 2007, 01:02 PM
Congrats on the little bun in the oven! There is nothing like the blessing of a child! Trust me, I would take a baby any day, but due to medical problems I can't have children of my own without expensive treatments! Imagine finding this out at 21!! I am 24 now and dh and I are starting a family with our doggie, since he is in Medical School and starting our own family is just not financially possible! We always tease that we don't have enough money to buy our kid! One round of in-vitro is $40,000+ and adoptions run from $10,000 and up. We don't want to "finance" a kid, so a dog was the perfect option for us. But, enough about me!

I am not going to give my personal opinion on what you should do. I think it is a personal decision that needs to be made by you and your husband.

I can tell you the experience of two friends:

1. This lady and her hubby were expecting thier first child at the time and already had one Cavalier. When she was 6 months pregnant, they added a 12 week old puppy into thier home. They have never thought twice about it or even batted an eye! They love thier family and all three of thier children (both fur [2] and human [1]).

2. This lady and her hubby found out they were pregnant a week after they had already purchased a 12 week old beagle puppy. They kept the puppy well into the pregnancy and even after the birth of thier daughter. Around the time thier daughter turned 11 months, they started looking into getting rid of Toby, thier pup. They said that their daughter required too much attention, and they were expecting thier second child as well. So needless to say, they gave Toby up for adoption.

See, it is all personal preference. Every situation is different and you need to do what is best for your family. I think it was Karlin that suggested borrowing a friends dog for a weekend and seeing if you can handle it, in one of the other threads. Maybe you could do this. It would be a good indication of your ability to handle the situation (or at least one side of it).

Lindsay
11th January 2007, 01:53 PM
Jasmine, congratulations! That is such a blessing. :D I know, though, that I would be disappointed if I had my heart set on my first pup and found out I had to delay that. In the end, you will know what is best for you and your family. There will be plus and negative sides no matter which way you go about the pup. My parents got our first Springer a month before my mom found out she was pregnant. They of course kept her and she was my best bud growing up, because we grew up together. :) On the other side of the spectrum, Josh's sister just had a baby in July. It is hitting them really hard financially because they were not planning on children at the time. They are having to sell both their cars, expensive jewelry (including her engagement ring :( ) etc., but that is mainly because they are too proud to borrow money from Josh's parents or her husbands parents.

My advice is go with what will make you the most comfortable and don't stress about it over the next 8-9 months. Be opened minded to anyone offering to help you. Keep happy and healthy and promise to post a pic of your REAL new baby :)

Good luck and we will be thinking of you! :flwr:

*Pauline*
11th January 2007, 05:09 PM
I respectfully ask those of you that feel that a baby and a Pup are to much why you feel the way you do? I ask this not only for the benifit of the board today but also for those in the future.

Id like to know what exactly you base your opinions on, and why this is far to daunting of a task for one to manage? Perhaps Ive just been out of the baby loop for to long? My youngest is 8 so it hasnt been that long has it?

For me personally, the thought of a puppy who wasn't house trained would be tricky, especially when baby is crawling. But mostly just the extra work load concerns me.

By the sound of it, you were incredibly well organised for a new Mum. I never remember having to wait around till baby woke up as you mention in your first reply. I had 100 jobs to do and the place was still a mess. I did have 2 babies in 14 months, but I think your average new Mum would find it a stuggle to find time to do all of the basics let alone adding to the work load. I'm sure it can be done but it wouldn't be for me. :flwr:

Om's Mom
11th January 2007, 07:54 PM
I can understand your misgivings. Both Babies and Cavalier puppies are "spendy."

How about a RESCUE...an older dog....?

Not being involved in Rescue, I don't know if this would be okay.

But what if the rescue is accustomed to children, and is an older dog. There'd be no training to speak of and the expense (of a puppy) would be reduced.

Hugs,
Dorothy

enchantingdragon
12th January 2007, 06:01 PM
Well its official...I have a little Peanut on the way

Thanks again to everyone for their well wishes. This begins a new journey. I will be calling my breeder this weekend to talk to her about this unexpected change and go from there. Though my hubby seems to think we can still get a pup I still have a few worries (money being a huge one for now) but I will talk to my breeder and see what she thinks. She might not want me having one of her pups now or she might rec an older dog so I guess Ill have to see. I will keep you all updated if you wish Thanks again

Jasmine

Joanne M
12th January 2007, 07:29 PM
Congratulations Jasmine. I'm so happy for you. I wish you all the joy this new bundle can bring. Congratulations to your husband too.

Hope you pop in from time to time. I'll be interested in your interpreting experience.

Take care, God Bless, and Good Luck!

Lindsay
12th January 2007, 07:38 PM
Of course we want you to keep us updated! :flwr:

enchantingdragon
13th January 2007, 07:17 PM
Hi all. So I need some advice. I found out yesterday that we do have a peanut in the oven so I called my breeder today to tell her the news. She asked what my thoughts were on a puppy and I thought perhaps it would be a bit overwhelming for us at the time. She said if I was really serious about still wanting a Cavy (I am) her friend had a 6 month old tri girl she was trying to place and she was a wonderful sweet dog. I contacted my breeder's friend (another breeder) and we spoke about her girl ( I think her name is Livy or Libby ) She will be a year on July and she said she is a beautiful sweet girl with all her shots. Coincidently I met this breeder at the York show in Nov when I went so she did have a chance to meet me and hubby and she remembers us well. We talked and this doggie does seem like it would it well with us. She is already house trained and will be over a year old by the time my baby arrives. My breeder had said if we wanted a doggie to get her now so she has time to adjust and will be all set for when the baby comes. I dont think it would be hard for me juggle a 1 year old dog and a baby at the same time. Also this breeder happens to be a full time outside of the home worker so she trains her dogs to be adjusted to someone being out of the house which works for hubby and me. Lastly my husband is a teacher so he will be home June on and right when he goes back to work I will probably give birth and be at home so the dog will have someone with it again. My husband seems to be all for this plan. The price is what you expect to pay for a Cavy but he seems to think we can do it and it would be good to have a dog before the baby so we can get use to being responsible for a living creature and so our child can have a dog around while its growing up so it wont be allergic or afraid of them. So do we do it and get our first Cavy?

Kodee
13th January 2007, 07:36 PM
I think you should so GO FOR IT! We got our lab at exactly 6mths! I had always had dogs and spent 2 winters looking after my old lab (my parents) when they went away. Having a dog in the house for 2mths each winter put the bug back in me.. I wanted a dog! But my kids were little and the thought of a puppy having the same issues as my young children was scaring me and my husband. Then we found this sweet lab that had been locked away in a spare bedroom because the owner (a widow) didnt know how to train her and got scared so she just put her in a spare room!! Not even house trained! The breeder took her back for 2mths, kept her in her house with a crate right beside our dogs Mommy! When we got her 2mths later at 6mths she was totally house trained like this tri would be and still young enough to fall in love with us and us her! Looking back, it was the right choice for me at the time.

Since our dog lived 15 great yrs, my new little cav girl will be the first dog I have had right from a puppy, so yes I am excited - but also a little nervous about training from scratch myself for the first time!

I know lots of people that get puppies before or with a baby, its a personal thing - whether you think you can handle it all. For me i knew i couldnt and getting the 6mth trained but still young enough to enjoy the early first yr was a fantastic opportunity that led to 15 yrs of devoted doggie love for all!

My vote for it is to CALL NOW! DO IT!

judy
13th January 2007, 08:57 PM
That sounds like a much more doable option, much more comfortable. You sound a lot more comfortable with this idea.

And, you have the benefit of immediate gratification! You get your dog right away! :D

It's way easier to have a one year old dog than a new puppy. A year old dog, even a cavalier, doesn't need the amount of attention that a puppy does. Puppies need it both for emotional and social reasons. A year old dog (when the baby is born) is a whole different ball game. Of course they need lots of love, but their needs are not as urgent and are more flexible.

Another positive thing about getting a 6 mo. to 1 year old dog is that you will pretty much know what's going on health-wise, whereas with a new puppy, things aren't as clear or stable. Since Libby/Livy has been with her breeder her whole life, with the same vet, on the same food, you have more of a health history than if you'd gotten a puppy. You might want to look into dog health insurance, or a savings account just for health care reasons, that could relieve some of your anxiety about potential expenses that could hit you unexpectedly.

Libby/Livvy will need lots and lots of support in adjusting to the move to a new home. I'm quite sure dogs experience grief from loss of social bonds, both with other animals and humans. If she loves other dogs, hopefully you can find opportunities for her to play with other dogs.

It sounds like a plus that she is used to having her person be out of the home during the day, since you both work. Hopefully one of you at least could come home and play with her mid day, especially if she's used to other animals being with her during the day. My daughter/bf got a cat for their cavalier Belle and they say this has greatly helped, Belle and the cat love each other and play and sleep next to each other. They're not able to come home during the day.

If you become comfortable with this option, explore all your doubts and answer all your questions in ways that you feel reassured, it sounds wonderful! Some of the things that would've made me most reluctant to get a dog when my daughter was a baby are eliminated by the dog being a year old by the time the baby comes. Has she been spayed? you would want to get that out of the way, if she hasn't.

Cicero's Mummy
13th January 2007, 09:44 PM
My thoughts... sounds like a good option! Sounds great!

Karlin
13th January 2007, 09:59 PM
The older dog sounds a really good fit for you at this time. In the Library I have a whole set of posts about cavaliers and babies, and about taking on a cavalier puppy if you have toddlers or a baby.

A puppy will essentially be another baby and WILL need a lot of time and attention. Whether that is too much really depends on the people involved. I think I would have found it very difficult to manage a puppy and a newborn at the same time. Even a puppy and a toddler. But that is me! :lol: An older dog that gets some time to settle in is a very different thing. You don't need to be constantly on the watch, trying to housetrain etc.

Personally, I think many find puppies are not an experience they want to repeat anyway because they are so intently time consuming -- an awful lot of my friends (and people on this board!) seem to get an older dog when they go for a second.

I really enjoyed having Jaspar as a pup (8.5 weeks) onward and puppies are very cute and delightful in so many ways -- but I really did not have a relatively normal life back til he reached around 6-8 months. It was hard work and long hours and a full time commitment, just like a small child or baby. Rewarding too, but my next two were very deliberately near adult or adult dogs.

I might at some future point have a puppy again -- but not in the foreseeable future, as attractive as they always are.

If anyone has any doubts at all about opting for a puppy, I'd always recommend considering an adult. :) Very often, the word I get back is, the people are so thankful they were urged to get an adult as it is the perfect dog for them and they now realise how much work a puppy would have been. So it is all about making sure the fit is right as different people have different desires and interests and are at different points in their lives. :)

PS -- The cavalier Boomer that I just rehomed -- Dunboyne pound cavalier -- is a a perfect example. Family were leaning towards a puppy for the 9 year old and there were two grannies in the house. I talked with them about an adult too, as perhaps a better option -- hard perhaps for two older folks to have puppy duty. They are so very happy with Boomer who is a much better fit with the older folks; and little daughter is thrilled to have her grown up dog she can already take on walks and play with. :wggle:

duncans_ma
13th January 2007, 10:57 PM
We got both of ours at 16 weeks and we both work full time. Of course, we do make it home during th day at least once but we found this to be the only and best option for us. 4 months compared to two months is huge!! 6 months would make it, IMO, easier on you. And at 6 months there is still A LOT of puppy in a cav. You won't miss out on all of puppyhood and it sounds like a great situation for your new family.

Karlin
13th January 2007, 11:57 PM
I can sure agree with that: 4 months is a much more mature puppy than 2 months... 6 months is just where you are getting to work with a dog that is puppy in appearance but a lot more adult in behaviour. :)

Lindsay
14th January 2007, 01:29 PM
Jasmine, I would have to vote yes do it on this. It sounds like you and your husband are willing to give a dog a good home and have thought about all the responsibility and cost that comes along with it. If you have done the math and it is doable, why not then? Please keep us updated! :flwr:

matties mum
14th January 2007, 03:37 PM
I would say Yes to I had a 13 week old puppy and it can be hard work when I had Sam he fitted in right away so at 6 mouths old you get a dog that is house trained and you can work on all the others things that a dog needs to know go for it ----Aileen
PS if you do must see loads of photos

enchantingdragon
14th January 2007, 06:14 PM
We got our first Cavy baby :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks so much for all the wonderful advice and support as I was going through this difficult period. I called the breeder this morning and said if she would have us we would love to give her beautiful Libby (short for Liberty) a home and she said of course. I am over the moon excited to be getting my first Cavalier and I couldnt have done it without all the support, friendship, and love I have received from this board. I cant thank you all enough I am on cloud 9 right now as I type this. We will be picking her up in a month and I will be counting the days till then. We still need to buy stuff for her too! So excited. I will hopefully have pics in a few days to show you,. Thanks so much again everyone!!!!

Jasmine

judy
14th January 2007, 06:17 PM
:jump:

WAY TO GO!!!!!!

so happy for you
:D

Kodee
14th January 2007, 06:26 PM
I think its fantastic for you and Libby. You guys plus Claire and Penny, have made this a record breaking weekend on Cavalier Talk for dream come true stories!

matties mum
14th January 2007, 06:29 PM
:jump: :w*w: So pleased to hear your good news now we can all look forward to your cavalier and then your baby :lotsaluv: ---Aileen

Maxxs_Mummy
14th January 2007, 06:45 PM
:mexwav: I am soooooooooooooo pleased for you :mexwav:

Why don't you take advantage of the sale on

http://www.barksandcatsco.com/

Sara also posted that if you put SALE in the bottom left box (coupon code box on page 1) you will also get 10% off sale prices :flwr:

arasara
14th January 2007, 07:22 PM
Congratulations!! You're going to be getting 2 new best friends within the next year!! A woman could never be happier, could she? I am glad you chose liberty - I am sure she is absolutely a beautiful girl. I am excited to have you hang around more Jasmine and I'm so glad everything is working out for you. Pictures pictures pictures when you get them please!! :) :) :)

Coco's mom
14th January 2007, 10:05 PM
Congratulations on the pregnancy first of all! :flwr:

And, it's AMAZING that you were able to make your dream come true and finally get a cavalier! that is soooo wonderful! I am so happy for you. :)

This is going to be a wonderful year for you! :flwr:

Cathy Moon
14th January 2007, 11:52 PM
Congratulations on your two soon-to-be additions to your family! :lotsaluv: :lotsaluv:

Karlin
14th January 2007, 11:59 PM
Hey that's great news, on top of the great news about being an expectant mom! :jmp2:

Denise G.
15th January 2007, 12:06 AM
Congratulations on your two new babies---don't know how I missed this thread!

I got Mia at six months and it is TONS easier than an 8 week old puppy--hands down!

Have fun preparing for your Cavy baby!

cooper&fergus
15th January 2007, 12:31 AM
Congratulations on your pregnancy - now it is official!

And congrats on your new little cav. Sounds like a perfect solution for you. Libby will be through those very hard first few months of puppyhood, including housetraining. But still plenty of time to enjoy her puppy behaviour - as someone said - cavs seem to think they're puppies a lot longer than other breeds :)

You will have such a busy and exciting year - can't wait to see pictures of both your soon to be kids.

Mic
15th January 2007, 05:37 AM
How exciting! Enjoy every moment. Babies and puppies grow so quickly. Take lots of pictures of both of them...together and separate.
:flwr: