• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Barking??

Maggie's Mom

When we started researching for a puppy, one of the traits we like bes was the breed was supposed to be "non-barkers". Maggie started as a very quiet puppy. No the neighbors have started joking about how loud she is. We live in a suburban area with deer and turkeys in the yard. Maggie thinks it is her job to scare away every other creature in the our woods.

She also barks whenever there is an animal on the TV.

The funny thing is she will never bark at another dog.

Any suggestions to quiet her down a little? She loves to run so I hate to cut her play time short.

Yes, they do bark.....at other squirrels, birds, etc.

I believe they were raised as Nursery Dogs, to "raise an alarm" if anyone went near the children in the household of King Charles the second.

"raise an alarm" means to give warning barks.....

Our beloved Charley didn't bark for ages, as a pup, but once he got going....I received a note from a neighbour about "good lungs"!!! LOL

She's a nurse, on shift work.....whenever I'd leave, he'd bark til he heard the car coming back.

Mary Alice is a howler...wonder what the neighbours think of that!!!!
She is very, very loud!!!
I haven't found anything to keep her quiet yet.....think it's just her!! :lol: :lol:

i use a squirt gun with Wesley and it really works for him. Some dogs have to reacton to it at all, some enjoy it :sl*p: . Luckily it works for me. I just got a small travel squirt water bottle from Target (99 cents) and I put it on a stream. One squirt will get him to quiet down, as he likes to bark at every bird, passerby and falling leaf. :roll:

Alfs will sit at the french windows and tell the birds off.He hates them in his garden.What seems to really set him off is when i take their food out and throw it on the lawn i think hes cross because he thinks the food is for him and not for them.That makes him real mad.

Not sure how they could have been used in Charles II's nursery since he didn't have any kids. Legitimate ones, anyway. From what I remember, he brought them everywhere with him. Maybe he was spooked by his dad's little run in with Guy Fawkes and thought a Cavalier would scare off a similar incident? :lol: :lol: :lol:

..but yes, they do bark. Sometimes at very strange things. Amber spent nearly five minutes barking at the big closeup of a B&T on my Cav calendar last weekend. Maybe she thought he was Holly. :roll:

Most sites do say they make excellent watchdogs, and indeed they do! Hopeless for personal protection, but I feel more secure knowing the dogs will alert me if the phone rings or someone is at the door. I even bring Holly up to the office with me at uni and she barks if there's any suspicious noises there too. My supervisor thought I was making that up, but it's true!

Our Charley was a great guard doggie..... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Had a tradesman once, afraid of our boy!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He wouldn't come in til Charley was crated!! icon_nwunsure

Maxx is a useless guard dog but Charlie seems to sense when people are a bit dodgy. We had two male callers last night and he barked the whole time they were at the door - I let him as I didn't trust them either! They asked if my dogs would bite and I said 'yeah probably :lol: '

We had a policeman knock the door tonight - one of the neighbours was broken into last night and they'd had reports of strange men in the area..... They were VERY interested in the men at my door - good boy Charlie, he got a pizzle stick as a prize :lol:

Your dogs bark... so does Ulysse ! I had been told that Cavalier King charles did not bar... he barks to much ! people do not like this !
He barks when the door bells rings, when he goes out of the house, when he is watching TV..., when he sees a "big, black dog" or a little dog he doesn't like...and now he barks at the people he doesn't like. That's too much ! but it doesn't matter ! I love him so much !

Maggie would make a very bad watch dog. She does not bark at other dogs or people, unless you count the guy in the snowman costume at the Christmas Tree Store. She does bark at everything else. Television animals, pictures, squirrels, etc. Is there any way to quiet them down? Has anyone had success training them to bark only when necesary?

What you consider necessary and what Maggie considers necessary might be two different things!!

Cavvies are hunters, bird dogs, etc. and therefore, bark at birds, squirrels, cats and anything else that they feel does not belong on their territory.

Dogs bark, I wouldn't punish them for doing what comes naturally unless it's 24/7.

I have no idea how to get Maggie to understand when you want/don't want her to bark.

Dogs can be trained to some extent but cavvies aren't "yappy" but do bark.

Mine howls, including at night....so be happy with a barker!! :lol: :lol:

Sophie is a barker.
She hears the slightest noise that to her is different and away she goes :dogwlk:

Padden barks when she plays. And for some reason at anything that is rubber! We thought at first that she hated this rubber toy and it was really funny watching her attack it and bark at it.

It's starting to get annoying but I don't know how to make her stop. I take her to work with me too and when she wants to play she will start barking and growling at her toys. Not exactly ideal being in the office. But it always make me laugh. Usually just have to pick her up to settle her down and she'll keep quiet. But at home when its time to play she's in full force. I'm sure our neighbors in our condo just love us!

Max likes to bark at the neighbor dogs...he seems to like to announce to the world that he is outside! We have an afternoon routine when we go into our back yard and the neighbor's dogs are in their yard....Max is allowed to run to the fence and they bark at each other for about 30 seconds and then I say to Max 'Ok, you said hello, now no more barking and let's go play with Molly" and then I bring him to a different part of the yard. (Molly almost never wants to say hello to the next door dogs) At first I had to say 'No Barking Max' after I moved him away from the fence, but now it's not a problem. Generally he plays with Molly and pays no attention to the other dogs. Then when we are done playing, Max goes back to the fence and I say 'Say Goodbye' and he barks a goodbye till I tell him it's time to go in. (about 30 seconds) Max & Molly are almost 6 months old and I do find that they mind well. Of course he has his days when he's not totally interested in playing with Molly & wants to talk to the other dogs...but usually he does very well. I am very proud of my Maxwell!!

Lynn

Great to see this thread. Both of mine bark at everything they see in the window. People, dogs, birds, and of course the poor mailman.
My issue is my poor girl will not let anyone near me. She is over-protective of me. After we got her we realized how good cavaliers were for medical assistance. We decided to start training her to help me out with some of my personal issues. We soon found that she could not pass some of the esiest tests because she barked too much unless she was on a gentle lead trainer.

She is absolutely perfect though for my needs and I would love to get her through this period if it is possible. My boy is great as well but he would be the perfect companion dog, I need one that can do things aside from love me to death ;)

Back